(Heavy Book Spoilers) Possible Character Merge

digupthebones

This thread makes me sad.

Seriously people exactly how many characters have D&D cut ? So far I count ONE - ColdHands

There has a been one merger - Edric

Irri and Jiqui (sp?)

Dany's Bloodriders.

(all minor characters, admitedly).

We did have Ilyn Pane in season 1, but his role has now been merged with Bronn.

Daario and Strong Belwas have also been merged. Daario will probably be replacing Ben Plumm as well since they specifically introduced the Second Sons and will likely make a big soap opera like ordeal out of it with him betraying her when she marries Hizdahr. There are other examples beyond that I'm sure.

Hopefully not the sex with Cersei part..... :ack:

TV Cersei stopped using sex as a weapon back in season 2. Now she just rolls her eyes, drinks wine, pretends to cry, and has her guards harass people. No clue how they'll approach her material from AFFC without her using sex as one of the ways to manipulate those around her. It'll certainly make the Faith's accusations far less interesting if she isn't actually guilty of the crimes.

I can see them possibly using Ser Meryn in the place of one of the Kettleblacks but they'll need to introduce other characters beyond that for her sleeping around to have the right impact when she's arrested.

Tyrion and Jorah's encounter is far from brief.

Also, I don't think they'll merge Quentyn and Jon Connington. However, I do think that they'll shorten Quentyn's journey. I could see them cutting out all of his chapters that take place before meeting Daenerys. He'll arrive, get turned down, and release the dragons only to get burned to death.

And good riddance.

• 2 months later...

This is a long post, made in light of the new information from ComicCon. While cuts are not confirmed, this post is written assuming them. If they cast characters who I think could be cut, it could change some/all of this.

I think that it is abundantly clear now that there are going to be massive differences between the book and the show for Season 5, so I've been thinking on what they could be, especially in light of the new casting information. Ideally, few if any significant characters (significant=being from a major family or having especially memorable book scenes) would be cut, but that may or may not happen. We already know that Willas and Garlan Tyrell are not in the show, so that will likely have ripple effects elsewhere. Further cuts will nearly certainly happen for other plotlines in Season 5. I will focus specifically on Dorne/fAegon and Daenerys/Greyjoy/Tyrion and Varys ripple effects.

1. While our lack of casting information on Arianne and Quentyn doesn't guarantee that they're cut (even with the press release saying Trystane is the heir to Dorne-they could be in as his younger siblings), I am thinking that it is looking very likely. I think it is very likely that Arianne has an extremely important role in the book, and so does fAegon, but I think the show will give the roles to someone else. The emphasis given to Dorne seems to imply that a lot will happen there. Season 5 will see Jaime and Bronn go to Dorne and Bronn fight Tyene Sand. It is almost certain that the Queenmaker plot will occur without Arianne (with Trystane who wants to be King leading it and the support of the Sand Snakes, but be stopped by Areo-this could be the Obara-Bronn duel as well). This part the cuts would not really affect much.

2. In the aftermath of the Queenmaker plot, Jaime will ideally head to the Riverlands for the BwB stuff, or something that circumvents that getting him into TWOW. Bronn will do something.

3. Here is where Arianne and Quentyn being cut would see impacts. Doran would have to have had Trystane imprisoned like Arianne, if they include that, and then call him to see him. He would say something to Trystane: "I had to betroth you to someone, or it would have looked suspicious, but you were already promised." "Promised to who?" "*Show Line* I am sending you east to bring us back our heart's desire." "And what is our heart's desire?" "Vengeance, Justice, Fire and Blood."

4. That takes care of the Quentyn role, but what about the role of Arianne? And the Greyjoys? We know from Season 4 that Dany already has an equal number of ships to Victarion. I can see two options here: If, in TWOW, Victarion with the horn succeeds in getting a dragon, either for himself or for Euron, Trystane will succeed in the Dragontamer plot where Quentyn failed. If, in TWOW, Victarion gets himself killed, Trystane will be badly injured and return home in the Dragontamer plot. If Quentyn is cut, Trystane will survive dragontaming. Either way, after the plot, Trystane will return to Westeros, and believing Daenerys to be dead, will marry Myrcella. Whether or not she goes back to King's Landing in the books, she won't in the show, so Trystane will marry her and declare himself King and her Queen.

5. From this point on, Trystane/Myrcella will take over fAegon's(with/without Arianne) role and Euron's role in their bids for the Iron Throne. Any major battles fought between those two factions would need to be cut, and the show would have to work around those. Greyjoy Reach invasions can be cut, since the only characters that can really be affected right now are Willas, Garlan, and Olenna, and if Olenna dies in the Reach, they can bring her back to King's Landing again and kill her when the city is taken by someone. Any major deaths could be moved to a different battle, having just used Olenna as an example. If it's important that there are two factions beyond fighting we could get still get Euron, or there could be further changes. At this point, these characters would be filling the roles of newer, important characters from the books.

6. Now, if there is no fAegon, what about Tyrion and what about the Dance of Dragons? fAegon is likely to have a dragon in the book at some point, if a Dance of Dragons is a real Dance of Dragons. I believe that he could get this from either Tyrion riding Viserion (not necesarily a Targ bastard) switching to his side, or also by taking control of Rhaegal after killing Euron. If Tyrion switches to fAegon, in the show he will switch to Dorne and Myrcella to spite Cersei (Also if Trystane gets a Dragon-could be two dragons against Dany, even in the books, except it would be fAegon, not Trystane)-this would set up the Dance of Dragons.

7. Tyrion's journey of Pentos->Meereen could be entirely with Jorah Mormont and slavers if there is no fAegon. Furthermore, combine the slavers who capture them with Yezzan so no slave auction scene is needed. Other characters would have smaller changes because of this, but if Doran supports Arianne/fAegon, he will support Trystane/Myrcella in the show, and vice-versa.

8. Varys- can't support fAegon is there is no fAegon. He could be a Dany supporter for the show (originally Viserys and needed Drogo to go Westeros when he sent the poisoner-or actually told Jorah about it and to stop it) and trying to weaken her power base in Meereen so she''ll come to Westeros? Or he could have a deeper motive than we realize in the books-this one has me a little stumped. He could decide Trystane/Myrcella are best for the realm is that is really what he's about, but I don't really think that. Trystane does have Targaryen blood from many generations back? But if Varys is travelling with Tyrion, he could be doing very different things than his book character.

The North is also likely to see a lot of changes, but mostly from fewer characters-Rickon could be at the Last Hearth-and Davos/Umbers could bring him from there, less scheming in Winterfell, but I can't see fArya/Abel the Bard being cut, though maybe Melisandre's glamours might be.

The Vale: I think in the book, Robert Arryn will die and succeded by Harrold Hardyng. I think in the show, Robin Arryn will survive at last for a little and take the Harry the Heir role. The

Riverlands: Biggest change is probably Walder Frey as Lord of Riverrun-might be no need to have a siege-could have RW 2.0, could have freeing Edmure if that happens. BwB, Jaime, and Brienne are wild cards so this could go any way.

King's Landing: Probably see one fewer attack in the show than the books, by having one fewer faction.

Essos: Pentos will probably replace Volantis on some things, like characters actually being there. Volantis will probably be mentioned but not shown and be a major S6 plot point (Dany deciding to stop and conquer or pass by on the way to Westeros). What do you think? Could this work? This doesn't cut the important roles or simplify the story too much, but gives the roles to existing characters. Obviously, I would prefer the exact book story, but because that is impossible, what do you think of this?

What do you think? Could this work? This doesn't cut the important roles or simplify the story too much, but gives the roles to existing characters. Obviously, I would prefer the exact book story, but because that is impossible, what do you think of this?

Outside of theories this is my favorite thing to have ever read on here! Fabulous work, and honestly an intriguing insider into how the minds of the show-creators may think. I am one of the few who truly trust D&D. I love that they're making this show and am not worried about any of their cuts (I will forever be salty if Wyman is cut though). Great work, and I hope this is actually how it all goes down, and if not, something similar to it. I really love this.

Seriously? Merging Quentyn and Griff ?!

What's next??? Vic and Sansa? Mel and Fat Belwas?? Bran and Shitmouth..???

I'd rather they cut out storylines entirely than having a supermerged multitasking fusion character that's so different from its book version that I wouldn't even know what the hell I'm watching....

I also wouldn't mind if they pushed most of ADWD material to the season after, just so they don't mess up the whole story... We need the new characters...

Obviously, I would prefer the exact book story, but because that is impossible, what do you think of this?

Brilliant!

Also avoids the problem of two secret Targaeryans, which works in books being published a decade apart, but not in a TV show with 30 hours left.

• 4 weeks later...

One possibility: Quentyn Martell = Jon Connington.

I don't think Quentyn will be cut, instead I think at the end of the 1st episode, Quentyn will show up "Daenerys I want to marry you." then for the rest of that season he is courting her. Because neither of the two do too much for the whole season. I can also see Quentyn dying in this season, even if Feast and Dance are split into two seasons chronologically

Arianne could still be in the story, reserved for season 6, but is currently imprisoned, and disinherited though she's the eldest and rightful heir. So instead of Arianne just fearing Doran was disinheriting her, let it be true. Then after Trystane / Quentyn is killed, she reconciles with Doran.

Archived