62% Person of lie about having read classic books

Francis Buck

I've not read it, but for some reason, I'm convinced that I will utterly loathe the Catcher in the Rye, and have been since I was a teenager. :dunno:

I HATED it. It was part of a class on "Classic American Novels" Maybe I was too old to get it since I was in my mid 20's and married with kids but the whole thing felt like teenage rebellion/angst, things that never appealed to me.

1984 by George Orwell – Yes

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – 1/2

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – Yes

Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – Yes

A Passage to India by E M Forster – No

Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – Yes

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – Yes

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – Yes

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Yes

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – Yes

I've not read it, but for some reason, I'm convinced that I will utterly loathe the Catcher in the Rye, and have been since I was a teenager. :dunno:

I HATED it. It was part of a class on "Classic American Novels" Maybe I was too old to get it since I was in my mid 20's and married with kids but the whole thing felt like teenage rebellion/angst, things that never appealed to me.

I have not read War and Peace (started but did not finish), To Kill a Mockungbird (I checked it out if the library this summer but never got around to reading it), or A Passage to India (I gave read orher EM Fortester and I own A copy of A Passage to India. I think I read Crime and Punishment as a teenager but I don't remember any of it at all.

I've read half of the listed books. I liked about half of those.

I keep collecting the free classics on amazon and have compiled more ebooks than I will probably ever get to read. I did start Around the world in 80 days, but honestly, I found it boring.

I go through phases. Classics for a while, then modern stuff then fantasy/sci-fi then westerns. Then I'll just give up altogether for a while. lol

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Yes

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – No

Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – Np

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – No

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – In Progress

1984 by George Orwell

Oops, forgot this one first time around.

Thought it was the most depressing thing I ever read, until I saw it start to happen around me.

Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – 15%

Had to read it for English class... man what a lame story!

A Passage to India by E M Forster – 12%

Gave up after 15 pages, total snooze-fest

Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – 11%

Yeah, I read it all, but not really my cup of long-winded tea.

The movies were great.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – 10%

Good book.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – 8%

I'd rather sit around watching Tarantulas chew on my eyelids.

To keep with the theme:

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – Yes, several times

Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – Yes, several times

A Passage to India by E M Forster – No, I have found Forster hard to get into

Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – All three books (and found the last book tough slogging :lol: )

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – Multiple times, love the book, love the movie, I hear Gregory Peck's voice when Atticus Finch speaks

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – Nothing of Dostoyevsky, on my bucket list :P

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Multiple times, I love this book and all of Jane Austen's other books

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – Years ago, for school, did not love it

Now the question is, is anyone lying about what they read? :uhoh:

1984 by George Orwell - Yes, not bad.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - Are you kidding? I have no desire to read this ever.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - No

Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger - Yes- and you're a phoney if you didn't like it!

A Passage to India by E M Forster - What? Never heard of it. (I read "The Machine Stops" by Forster- his venture into SF, I should get credit for that.)

Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkien - My mom read LOTR to me as a kid. Reread once a year.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - maybe one day

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Ha! Don't think so.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - no

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - nope

Most great literature is boring to me. Steinbeck and Faulkner were almost a form of torture. That shit needs some more dragons and magic rings. I don't lie about having read a book. Reading "The Year's Best SF" is just as good as reading some old English teacher's pick IMO.

I honestly don't get the War and Peace hatred. Yeah, themeandering meditations on the nature of history can be a bit boring, but the entire "epic soap opera" thing figured be right up ASOIAF fan's alley.

I honestly don't get the War and Peace hatred. Yeah, themeandering meditations on the nature of history can be a bit boring, but the entire "epic soap opera" thing figured be right up ASOIAF fan's alley.

Maybe it is the age at which a lot of us read it? I think I was 14 the first time I tried? I even took notes. But that was all I remembered about it...that i was taking notes.

Tried again at 21, without the notes, but I was on maternity leave and a new born does not make for quality reading time. I never tried again.

Why these books?

I have read better ones that really are classics that people avoid for no reason that I can fathom.

Don Quixote, both volumes, I just love those. Beware of the digression stories in the 1st one that have no purpose at all. The 2nd volume has to be one of the first ever written in answer to public acclaim for the 1st one, and the commentary that Cervantes manages to weave into the 2nd book on that very subject is hilarious!

Frankenstein, as written by Mary Shelly. Brilliant, and not much like any of the movies that were supposed to have been based on it.

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire; Yes, its a looooong book, but very revealing. Not just revealing about Rome, but how scholars of the 1700s saw things.

1984 by George Orwell – No

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Yes

Oh, there are more I would like to add to this list. Of classics I have also read:

1. Anna Karenina

2. Brothers Karamazovs, Idiot... I like Russian novelists

3. David Copperfield

4. Don Quijote - I still have scars of reading that

5. Dante's Divine Comedy - how in 7 hells I survived that is completely beyond me

6. Illiad - now that I think grammar school was indeed a torture

7. Evgenuy Ognegin, or what his name is - I hate romanticis

8. Hugo, Balsack and other French authors...

There are more of them, but I am tired, it's 5 am here...

I've read all of them except Crime and Punishment, and funnily enough, A Passage to India (I already lived there)

ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_4933922', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_4933922', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '4933922' }, parseInt('') );

Les Mis is much the same thematically.

Archived