Commonly Believed Myths

Moon-Pale Maiden

I may be misremembering, but isn't Cotter Pyke the exception to this? I'm fairly certain it mentions that he's a low born commoner somewhere in the text.

I'm fairly certain that "Pyke" is the equivalent of Snow or Stone; a regional surname for highborn bastards. One parent could've still been commonborn, though.

I think Stann was asking if Cotter Pyke was an exception to the 'only nobles get bastard names' rule. I think at one point he is described as lowborn, but that might just be his mother's side. It's possible that she claims some "nobleman" fathered him. On the Iron Islands every captain is a king on his own ship so if you go by that logic he very well might have a "noble" father.

One common myth seems to be that the story has taken some 4-5 years so far, when actually it's more like 2,5 and in any case less than 3 years.

At the start Daenerys was about 13,5 and she has quite recently turned 16.

And the storyline in Westeros started some months later than that of Dany. Jon was 14,5 at start of it and turns 17 soon.

Hi. I'm new to this forum though I've been lurking a while and I've noticed one commonly believed myth that's bugged me.

Myth: Theon definitely doesn't recognize the Hooded Man.

Truth: in the text there is about as much evidence to support this as evidence to the contrary

What's strange is I've often seen people trying to provide evidence as to why they believe Theon knows and recognizes the Hooded man, but I don't think I've ever read any post explaining why he doesn't. People just assume it without any solid reason.

I am of the opinion that he does recognize him, but since it's bugged me, I've been trying to understand why so many people think he doesn't. So I've made myself the devil's advocate and started writing a post about it. I hope to finish and post it soon.

Hi. I'm new to this forum though I've been lurking a while and I've noticed one commonly believed myth that's bugged me.

Myth: Theon definitely doesn't recognize the Hooded Man.

Truth: in the text there is about as much evidence to support this as evidence to the contrary

What's strange is I've often seen people trying to provide evidence as to why they believe Theon knows and recognizes the Hooded man, but I don't think I've ever read any post explaining why he doesn't. People just assume it without any solid reason.

I am of the opinion that he does recognize him, but since it's bugged me, I've been trying to understand why so many people think he doesn't. So I've made myself the devil's advocate and started writing a post about it. I hope to finish and post it soon.

Welcome to the Forum :cheers:

Here's my take on the Hooded Man: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/86746-the-ghost-of-winterfell-is/page__hl__%2Bghost+%2Bwinterfell

Archived