Of Corsets and Tiaras - LonCon 3

Fragile Bird

Well I for one was super insecure about what to wear. I nagged my personal favorite style goddess Chataya about this matter. I wanted to look nice and put together for my first meeting with George. I saw super informal wear, bustiers, elvenwear, and other costuming. I dressed like I was going to a nice outdoors restaurant somewhere in Florida. We all looked great and we all fit in. I was so nervous and in the end everybody looked great together. I was so very, very pleased with this. People of all styles and ages, plus Lucky Pierre who is his own genre onto himself, were happily accepted and loved. I will definitely bring tiaras next year. I think that X-ray found her whistle useful at times. I will try to remember to bring one of those as well. Actually, I'll see about finding better fitting adult faux bling. The hair clips worked well. I should bring those too.

My favorite characters from the Silmarillion are Manwe and Varda. We are going to the party as them. Hubby reminded me they were shapeless gods so we can wear whatever we want to the party! I'm just excited to have registered for LonCon3 and that hubby is attending with me.

For sure not mandatory. I just like dressing up personally cuz I'm a big old costuming nerd. It is nice to not be the only one though because I get super stupid self-conscious and end up feeling out of place. But if anyone is down for any dressing up please let me know, I am all for some type of costuming collaboration. You guys are all lovely ladies either way :)

Getting fancy dress on is definitely not happening so I'm glad it was spelled out that it isn't mandatory - cheers, xray.

New life goal: getting Alex to wear a tiara like a brunet Lady Di. :P

I hope to -a- get to London next summer, -b- with Things, -c- figure out a party frock with corsetry of some description, because I've promised Regina I would. -d- is find a babysitter, but really I'm focused on finding the funds for -a- right now. :)

My favorite characters from the Silmarillion are Manwe and Varda. We are going to the party as them. Hubby reminded me they were shapeless gods so we can wear whatever we want to the party! I'm just excited to have registered for LonCon3 and that hubby is attending with me.

Oh, fantastic! He's joining you in London, to meet the crazy friends? :P

Glad that there's no actual fancy dress rule. That's really not what BwB is about tbh. I may find a corset I can stuff my fat boobaliciousness into or I may just rock jeans and my bon jovi t-shirt (don't judge)

Also, not for nothing, but I think planning something like this this far ahead for a Con that is 11 months away takes the fun and sponteneity out of it all. The tiara thing is funny and quirky because it was last minute, based off a riff in GC and everyone could get a cheap tiara from a pound shop and stick it on their head.

YMMV

N

Gee, I was just trying to give people lots of notice about the idea of dressing up in London, in the heat and glow of San Antonio, while people were, you know, in a good mood.

And the comments about the tiaras started in May, more than 3 months before the con. If you need three months to get a tiara, how long do you need to get together a nice costume? Nothing will be on sale for months, not with Halloween and parties leading up to Christmas going on, so you can start thinking about stuff now and then look for sales on line or wherever you live come the new year. Or look for patterns.

Gee, I was just trying to give people lots of notice about the idea of dressing up in London, in the heat and glow of San Antonio, while people were, you know, in a good mood.

The con happens every year. Dressing up happens -- or doesn't -- every year. People know about it already, for the most part, especially since it isn't a requirement to attend (so it doesn't matter if they don't dress up / don't know).

If you want to post about how you're going to dress up, as an encouragement to others, that's great. You might even organically end up with a group who want to do the same theme, or a joint costume, or whatever. But trying to plan *everyone* to do a theme you've picked, espeially this early on is... over-ambitious, I'd say. And again, a £1 tiara picked up from the local pound shop on the day is very different from a $100+ corset that takes weeks of shopping/making. We want to get as many people involved as possible, and that means KISS.

I would imagine in London there are plenty of second hand and antique shops where you could throw together just about any type of outfit and call it a mash-up of any number of fantasy or scfi themes.

And I would imagine that if there were a local willing to organize and lead it, any number of BWBers would love to join an expedition to such places.

I will need every bit of the coming year to make my outfits for Loncon. I'm slow at sewing and the fact that I'd like to have at least 3-4 new outfits for the con means I'm going to have to get my butt in gear very soon. I'm sure Valindra will be starting up her sweatshop any moment & the fabric will be flying between us both. But for me, that's part of the fun of dressing up & there's a certain pride in fashioning together even the simplest of costumes. The planning & making of garments is a bit of a ritual for me that builds until it finally crescendos into this perfect moment where you get to wear this item you made with your bare hands, (and undoubtedly put your blood, sweat, tears, & curse words into), for the big event you've been waiting so long for.

Granted that's just me, but I'm sure there will be others like me that'll enjoy taking part in the Loncon festivities way before they officially begin in this very fashion, (no pun intended). I think that's all this thread was trying to get across, excitement for the upcoming possibilities for Loncon costumery for those of us who are so inclined.

I had already started planning my next con costumes the day I drove home from LoneStarCon, I was that excited! London will be my 1st international con, and I don't think I'll be happy until the opening of my suitcase resembles the opening of the London Olympic games. *jazz hands* ;)

PS. I'd be down for some London thrift shopping as well. Count me in!

I will need every bit of the coming year to make my outfits for Loncon. I'm slow at sewing and the fact that I'd like to have at least 3-4 new outfits for the con means I'm going to have to get my butt in gear very soon. I'm sure Valindra will be starting up her sweatshop any moment & the fabric will be flying between us both. But for me, that's part of the fun of dressing up & there's a certain pride in fashioning together even the simplest of costumes. The planning & making of garments is a bit of a ritual for me that builds until it finally crescendos into this perfect moment where you get to wear this item you made with your bare hands, (and undoubtedly put your blood, sweat, tears, & curse words into), for the big event you've been waiting so long for.

I admire your skill intensely while knowing that I will never acquire it. :) Looking forward to seeing what you and Valindra come up with!

Damnit! Now I have to come up with something good ;)

You never what you can do....Missy's first sewing project:

"Amber, it says to fold and press. I folded it and I'm pressing on it but it isn't staying"

Me-"yeah pressing means iron it!"

So proud of you my little protege you have come so far, now get your ass in gear on that dragon dress!

I think costumes are fun. Unfortunately I have no skill, and thus always end up the person in the elevator who people ask if she's there for the Home and Garden show. Or at least that happened to me in Anaheim and I considered it a success this year when someone sat next to me on the plane thinking I was also going to Worldcon, even though I was asleep. :uhoh:

Still, though, should I make it to London it will probably be in one of the 298332784 BWB t-shirts I now own. My general style is "boring", although you people know how I feel about dressing up for the Hugos. Red carpet, people. My people at home are dead convinced now that they truly are the Oscars of science fiction.

Archived