Tywin's decision to give Castameer to Rolph Spicer

Sordelor

Just wanna correct that I was wrong, and there is textual evidence of Castamere being in some state of ruin (though still standing.)

This Westerling betrayal did not seem to have enraged his father as much as Tyrion would have expected. Lord Tywin did not suffer disloyalty in his vassals. He had extinguished the proud Reynes of Castamere and the ancient Tarbecks of Tarbeck Hall root and branch when he was still half a boy. The singers had even made a rather gloomy song of it. Some years later, when Lord Farman of Faircastle grew truculent, Lord Tywin sent an envoy bearing a lute instead of a letter. But once he’d heard “The Rains of Castamere” echoing through his hall, Lord Farman gave no further trouble. And if the song were not enough, the shattered castles of the Reynes and Tarbecks still stood as mute testimony to the fate that awaited those who chose to scorn the power of Casterly Rock. “The Crag is not so far from Tarbeck Hall and Castamere,” Tyrion pointed out. “You’d think the Westerlings might have ridden past and seen the lesson there.”

“Mayhaps they have,” Lord Tywin said. “They are well aware of Castamere, I promise you.”

“Could the Westerlings and Spicers be such great fools as to believe the wolf can defeat the lion?”

Every once in a very long while, Lord Tywin Lannister would actually threaten to smile; he

Does no one else see that it's kind of a postmortem "fuck you" to the Reynes, too? "You were the second-greatest family in the Westerlands until you rebelled. Not only have I destroyed you, but I also gave your once-proud castle to a family of up-jumped spice merchants!"

Also, he had to give them something of value in exchange for whatever it was they did (or he thinks they did) to help the Lannisters. Castamere is an empty property.

Does no one else see that it's kind of a postmortem "fuck you" to the Reynes, too? "You were the second-greatest family in the Westerlands until you rebelled. Not only have I destroyed you, but I also gave your once-proud castle to a family of up-jumped spice merchants!"

Also, he had to give them something of value in exchange for whatever it was they did (or he thinks they did) to help the Lannisters. Castamere is an empty property.

I dunno. Maybe the thought crossed his mind after the fact, but I think this excerpt suggests that it was their idea, not Tywins:

“The Crag is not so far from Tarbeck Hall and Castamere,” Tyrion pointed out. “You’d think the Westerlings might have ridden past and seen the lesson there.”

“Mayhaps they have,” Lord Tywin said. “They are well aware of Castamere, I promise you.” “Could the Westerlings and Spicers be such great fools as to believe the wolf can defeat the lion?”

Every once in a very long while, Lord Tywin Lannister would actually threaten to smile; he never did, but the threat alone was terrible to behold. “The greatest fools are ofttimes more clever than the men who laugh at them,” he said

I dunno. Maybe the thought crossed his mind after the fact, but I think this excerpt suggests that it was their idea, not Tywins:

And Tywin still had to say yes to it. It being their idea is not mutually exclusive to him enjoying the comeuppance of it.

Besides, how many other empty castles are there in the Westerlands? They can't exactly ask for Ashemark or the Crakehall or Hornvale, can they?

I'm thinking poisoned chalice. If Tywin Lannister offered me anything to do with Castamere i'd be worried. I think the best the Spicers can hope for is that it's a "well done, I do always pay my debts, but I have my beady eye on you. You do remember what happened to the last people who owned this land, don't you? Cross me and we may have to write another verse...."

And Tywin still had to say yes to it. It being their idea is not mutually exclusive to him enjoying the comeuppance of it.

Besides, how many other empty castles are there in the Westerlands? They can't exactly ask for Ashemark or the Crakehall or Hornvale, can they?

I wasn't trying to suggest they were mutually exclusive. By "after the fact" I meant after they suggested it, not after they sent Rolph to take up residence and establish House Spicer of Castamere.

Archived