187 replies to this topic

#1 andrew_

andrew_

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

This is a dedicated thread to season 2 of Korra that WILL include spoilers, so be wary if you haven't started watching the second season.

Episode 1:
Overall really strong introductory and bridge episode so to speak leading on from season 1, it helped round out most open discussions (no mention of any equalists but I guess its still early) from season 1. I really liked the introduction of new characters like Bumi, Kya, Unalaq and Tonraq (although he briefly featured in Season 1). Eska and Desna were also cool, but I feel like Desna (the boy?) took a back seat so to speak which was kinda disappointing. Another thing I disliked was some of the interactions between Korra and Mako felt sappy and unnatural. Also the division between Tonraq and Korra kinda feels forced, but I guess its necessary for the plot progression. The major event of this episode was the Rebel Spirit attack, I had my doubts about the animation style of the spirits from the trailers but seeing this episode put me at ease, it was amazing!

Overall 8.5/10

Episode 2:
I thought this was a step-up from episode 1, it helped explain some of the motivations and reasons to why the spirits are attacking and to why Tonraq and his brother don't see eye-to-eye, anyways I'm gonna keep this one short only because I'm tired and hungry. It was awesome. And last scene where the Northern Water tribe troops have secretly invaded the south was awesome.

9/10

#2 Ouroboros

Ouroboros

Unfunny

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

My only wish for this season is that they don't shy away from exploring the complex morality inherent in the situation unlike with book one.

#3 HemoCorvus

HemoCorvus

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

First off the composer Jeremy Zuckerman can really grab your emotions, I encourage the board to listen to the Book 1 Soundtrack.
The first episode started out fairly good like OP said it bridges the gap very nice. The air scooter race seemed ludicrous and I couldn't agree with Tenzin more that the avatar mode is not to be used so lightly. Korra is fleshed out but still retains the all mighty rebellious teenager persona she had last time. I loved getting the chance to see the Southern Water Tribe up to date and hearing Katara talk about loving your family before they are gone broke me up to pieces. Tenzin and Korra's breakup was semi unexpected although I could see it bubbling from book 1.
The second chapter felt like a continuation from the first and I'm glad they included it in the premiere. The spirits felt real and surprised me with how much power hey have. I'm interested in Unalaq and his intentions, could he be playing Korra and using his own niece as a pawn? Reminds me a lot of a certain ex Northern Water Tribe leader with a similar name...
Some questions come up like how Jinora's connection to the spirit world and the ( I guess) Avatar Wan statue is going to play out and what the spirits intentions are.
Overall it was a great start to a great series and I'm looking forward to seeing the story come to life every Friday.

#4 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian

• Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

And last scene where the Northern Water tribe troops have secretly invaded the south was awesome.

+1. It was nicely done, as I thought it might be coming but surprised it came this early.

I'd give both episodes 9/10s. I actually didn't mind Mako this time around, as it seemed their relationship was more grounded though still a bit fake.

The twins are cool.

A bit worried by lack of Lin Bei Fong though.

#5 andrew_

andrew_

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

A bit worried by lack of Lin Bei Fong though.

The creators said for the most part she takes a backseat this season, but it future seasons they said she becomes a main focus character again.

#6 Summerfell

Summerfell

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Overall I'm pretty pleased. I'm really digging the Southern Air Temple subplot, I'm so glad the airbender kids are getting development beyond "look at these BA airbender kids they are so cute but also BA." Jinora especially looks like she has big things in her future. I'm not sure if the fixation on the airbenders from the Southern Air Temple residents was supposed to be on the creepily obsessive side, but if it was intended and it gets developed further I think that could be an awesome source of conflict.

#7 Mr Bell

Mr Bell

Yeezus Walks

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

I liked the episodes. Glad Tenzin's oldest daughter (Jinora?) is getting the attention she deserves.

I will be utterly disappointed if this season doesn't feature Koh, though. The new spirits look interesting, I wonder if there's something that separates them from the spirits we've already seen, who looked a lot more animal based.

Solid stuff though, always good to see new Avatar.

#8 Littlefingers In The Air

Littlefingers In The Air

wave 'em like you just don't care

• Members
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

This was a good episode.

#9 Land-Sealion Tamer

Land-Sealion Tamer

Council Member

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

First off the composer Jeremy Zuckerman can really grab your emotions, I encourage the board to listen to the Book 1 Soundtrack.
The first episode started out fairly good like OP said it bridges the gap very nice. The air scooter race seemed ludicrous and I couldn't agree with Tenzin more that the avatar mode is not to be used so lightly. Korra is fleshed out but still retains the all mighty rebellious teenager persona she had last time. I loved getting the chance to see the Southern Water Tribe up to date and hearing Katara talk about loving your family before they are gone broke me up to pieces. Tenzin and Korra's breakup was semi unexpected although I could see it bubbling from book 1.
The second chapter felt like a continuation from the first and I'm glad they included it in the premiere. The spirits felt real and surprised me with how much power hey have. I'm interested in Unalaq and his intentions, could he be playing Korra and using his own niece as a pawn? Reminds me a lot of a certain ex Northern Water Tribe leader with a similar name...
Some questions come up like how Jinora's connection to the spirit world and the ( I guess) Avatar Wan statue is going to play out and what the spirits intentions are.
Overall it was a great start to a great series and I'm looking forward to seeing the story come to life every Friday.

I think probably Unalaq's intentions are genuine, but I'm sure that there will be conflict in the future once Korra begins to doubt her uncle's rigid approach.

Wasn't the Southern tribe always freer and more open in its philosophy than the Northern Tribe? Some of that might've been due to being under greater pressure during the war, but I think Unalaq is going to have to eventually be made to accept that he can't just turn the Southern tribe into a copy of the Northern Tribe.

#10 Baelor Swyft

Baelor Swyft

Council Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Good start for what I hope will be a great season. Felt more like the original series, almost to a fault. But I have confidence it will ultimately reach the heights of season one.

#11 The Anti-Targ

The Anti-Targ

Socially liberal, morally conservative

• Members
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Way too telegraphed that Tonraq was up to no good. And Korra was getting a bit too petulant and annoying, which made it even more obvious she was sending the people who actually care about her away and cosying up to a dude with a hidden agenda.

A good enough start but needs to get a bit less obvious.

#12 Galactus

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds, wearer of Purple Hats

• Members
  • 26,204 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

Say what you want about the show, but it IS the most beautiful goddamn thing I've seen on TV. Seriously.

#13 Summerfell

Summerfell

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

And Korra was getting a bit too petulant and annoying...

Yeah, it was kinda strange how Korra had approximately zero moments in either episode in which she was likable. I don't understand if the writers just assume we'll be rooting for her because she's the main character or something...?

#14 SpaceChampion

SpaceChampion

Hookahed On A Feeling

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

That moment you realise Eska is voiced by Aubrey Plaza. /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' />

#15 andrew_

andrew_

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

That moment you realise Eska is voiced by Aubrey Plaza. /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' />

It kinda threw me off to begin with because she sounded like a robot her first couple of lines, but then it kinda smoothed out and now I like it.

Edited by andrew_, 14 September 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#16 Summerfell

Summerfell

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

I know, right? Plus Avatar Wan is voiced by Steven Yuen, the guy who plays Glenn in The Walking Dead. I can't wait to get to the episodes where he features.

#17 Peko

Peko

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

I liked the episodes. Overall, they felt more like the original series in the sense that story seems to revolve more around Korra's personal journey rather than the events happening around her, and I welcome that.

I'm a little concerned that the number of characters they're trying to juggle will continue to plague the series. The only sub-story I see any importance in is Tenzin's. Bolin, Mako, and Asami just seem unimportant to me, and they did for quite a bit of the first season too. I'm tempted to think that the show tried too hard to give Korra some peers, focused on them more than needed, and is continuing to run with it. There just has to have been a better way to do it. Maybe they do serve a greater purpose toward the endgame, but right now, I'm just seeing them as being there because, hey, they were in the first season.

Well, I might be fine with Asami's role if they continue to use the technological revolution and non-benders vs. benders as recurring themes. There really hasn't been anything suggesting that yet this season. It'd be a shame if they did abandon them though.

#18 The Anti-Targ

The Anti-Targ

Socially liberal, morally conservative

• Members
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

Full of Win!

#19 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian

• Members
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Yeah, it was kinda strange how Korra had approximately zero moments in either episode in which she was likable. I don't understand if the writers just assume we'll be rooting for her because she's the main character or something...?

I think they overdid it a little, especially with her and Mako fighting, but I did understand her concern. Spirits are attacking the Southern Water Tribe and Tenzin wants to tour air temples.

Her motives weren't 100% pure, but she wasn't completely in the wrong. I did mentally facepalm when Tenzin and her father didn't even try to compromise on letting her uncle train her.

#20 fionwe1987

fionwe1987

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think they overdid it a little, especially with her and Mako fighting, but I did understand her concern. Spirits are attacking the Southern Water Tribe and Tenzin wants to tour air temples.

Her motives weren't 100% pure, but she wasn't completely in the wrong. I did mentally facepalm when Tenzin and her father didn't even try to compromise on letting her uncle train her.

Korra just seems to suffer from too much comparison to Aang. But that doesn't take into account that Aang was from a monastery, and it wasn't like he didn't engage in the mother of all rebellions which served as a warning to him for the rest of the show.

Korra didn't come into knowledge of her role when the world was under serious threat. She got access to the cool parts of being Avatar as a kid, when the world had already become a safer place due to her predecessor.

I think it's entirely natural that some of this has gone to her head. If the authors hadn't tried to accommodate that, and made her some syrupy goody two shoes the show would have been terrible.

Basically, I get why she's so angry with people trying to decide her life for her. Aang had exactly the same issues, and he dealt with it by running away. Korra being a little older and more accepting of her role, just constantly challenges authority figures who try to restrict her without reason. It's just that we got to see Anne's rebellious phase mostly in flashback. With Korra we're living through it. Kudos to the writers for having the guts to show it.

That aside... Did anyone else get the idea that Unalaq engineered the whole spirit thing to ensure his brother's banishment? And then did the same thing now to distract Korra so his armies could more easily invade the Southern Water Tribe?

Reply to this topic