90 replies to this topic

#1 Black Wolf Smith

Black Wolf Smith

Heretical Harlequin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

New shows are starting in the next few weeks, and most will not need a thread by themselves. So here is a thread to let you say what you think about the new shows.

The reason I started this thread is simply because Yahoo has already put out a Hit and Misses story before any of them have aired.

http://tv.yahoo.com/...-221305965.html

Its funny how "critic's" can already tell, when the vast majority of us have not seen anything on them yet. I mean how many shows were the wrong about last year?

#2 red snow

red snow

Prince of Procrastination

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

With all the shows that now launch in the summer it's trickier to determine what is new for 2013 but I guess the fall period is the traditional start point. That said it's been the first summer in a long while where I haven't caught up on much TV because there has been sufficient programming on air.

I'll take that list you linked and arrange in a similar fashion

Agents of SHIELD - Whedon-style Marvel TV show. I'm in. If they can do as good a job as "arrow" this will be great. Under pitfall could be how it ties into all the films

Almost human - It stars Karl Urban (who should be a big film star IMO) and while it sounds like another lazy police procedural the creators are enough to give it a few episodes. For all JJ Abrams faults he is usually pretty good at show concepts that suck you in before pulling the rug out from under you to discover you are actually watching a pretty heavy SFF show. No big mysteries please!

Tomorrow People. First I've heard of this but will check just because i loved the original as a kid and miss the teen aliens/powers type of show

Dracula. I think JRM was ridiculous in "Tudors" but as an unageing vampire he'll at least look the part. Main thing is Daniel Knauf's (Carnivale) the showrunner.

Sleepy hollow - maybe. From the creators of Star Trek/Transformers cuts both ways. More potential if when I think of them as "fringe" showrunners.

Brooklyn Nine Nine - someone is going to have to tell me this is great before I'll try and watch it. Although I admit a comedy cop show could be a breath of fresh air given how many damn serious ones have been out this year.

Hostages - seems a bit desperate to start adapting Israeli shows that were never made. That alone suggests it's not going to be "homeland" or "in treatment" but it could be interesting

Once upon a time in wonderland/the originals. Both sound more interesting to me than the shows they originate from. I'd try them but fear they won't be very stand-alone and don't want to watch the parent shows as well.

Blacklist - sounds too much like everything else and I don't need another following.

Reign. sounded interesting until they said it was CWified and not in an arrow/supernatural way. If it had been on showtime I'd have watched an episode.

Hello Ladies. I'm curoious to see how a Merchant solo effort works but again I'll have to be pesuaded by others to give it a shot. I'd be more likely to watch it if it was a BBC show.

Masters of sex - lousy title and there's nothing about it to really grab my attention. If it turns out to be "Mad Men/ Boardwalk empire" I may do a season catch-up.

Dads. Not interested. I'll admit to watching Family Guy and American dad but everything else by him is just more of the same but worse.

we are men - no.

Ironside looks painfully by the numbers and inspired by an American Dad sketch taking the piss out of such procedurals,

Betrayal - no. Even when these shows are good they should never go into a second season story.

Trophy wife - no

super fun night- no

the crazy ones - no

Summary: Only one I'm really excited about. Only two I'll try and two that I may check if people here rave about them (obviously I'd check any of them if enough people said it was good).
I thought there were a lot more "new" shows coming out? Or I they rolliing a lot out in January 2014? Actually there are so I've added them to the list in bold too.

Funny that the shows I'm most interested are the most sci-fi. Damn, I miss some old-school dudes on a spaceship/station TV.

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

HELP!

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

Ironside looks painfully by the numbers and inspired by an American Dad sketch taking the piss out of such procedurals,

Ironside is actually a remake of a show from the 60s/70s. I only know this because I know someone with the surname Ironside and he was very amused to hear they were remaking it.

ST

#4 williamjm

williamjm

Council Member

• Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

Reign. sounded interesting until they said it was CWified and not in an arrow/supernatural way. If it had been on showtime I'd have watched an episode.

I watched the trailer, it did feel a bit reminiscent of The White Queen, which isn't a good thing. The French royals apparently being advised by Nostradamus felt particularly silly. It's a pity because I would usually be interested in a historical drama about Scottish history, even if they appear to have chosen one of the less interesting periods of Mary's reign to base it on, but despite their attempt to have dialogue about the geopolitical importance of an alliance with Scotland they seem more interested in love triangles.

#5 red snow

red snow

Prince of Procrastination

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Ironside is actually a remake of a show from the 60s/70s. I only know this because I know someone with the surname Ironside and he was very amused to hear they were remaking it.

ST

I'm aware that it's a remake - although I'll admit to not knowing the lead was in a wheelchair. It still seems pretty lazy though. I'm sure it could be fine but to be honest "Elementary" is my dose of "fine" for episodic cop procedurals and "Hannibal" will do me for the good ones. Still undecided how to feel about "the bridge" and "low winter son" but they aren't really "murder of the week". Basically it's a crowded genre at the moment.

#6 Reposado

Reposado

Trop de tequila ou pas assez?

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Most excited about hello ladies by far. Merchant was the best part of extras and I'd like to see what he can do i without gervais whose schtick has worn thin

#7 Durckad

Durckad

Lacks Comprehension

• Members
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Aside from Agents of Shield, not much else looks remotely palatable.

Okay Brooklyn Nine-Nine looks like it could be decent, but case-of-the-week cop shows are so damn boring and overdone and I'm not sure Braugher and Samberg can save such an overdone premise.

I might check out Masters of Sex, but only because of Caplan. I would happily watch her reading the paper.

#8 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

100% meat like product

• Members
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Trophy wife - no

Great post RS... I don't really have time right now to go over it, but the one thing that popped out right away was to not discount Bradley Whitford in Trophy Wife.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0925966/

That guy is a force of nature...

Edited by Howdyphillip, 14 September 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#9 Zorral

Zorral

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

The only one that might have some interest is Dracula.

Mary Queen of Scots AGAIN??????? Doesn't television know any royals except 3 or four? Wait, television, no they don't.

#10 Reposado

Reposado

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Okay Brooklyn Nine-Nine looks like it could be decent, but case-of-the-week cop shows are so damn boring and overdone and I'm not sure Braugher and Samberg can save such an overdone premise.

its not a procedural. its a sitcom.

#11 Durckad

Durckad

Lacks Comprehension

• Members
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

its not a procedural. its a sitcom.

Is it? Both descriptions had me thinking it was a comedic-procedural type show.

A sitcom (sans laugh track) would be much more interesting.

#12 Martini Sigil

Martini Sigil

Council Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

I can't remember the last network TV show I remotely gave a shit about... But because I'm a pathetic middle aged comic nerd I'll watch Agents of Shield... and Ill probably like it even if it sucks... But Network sitcoms are atrociously unfunny. I miss Lucky Louie.

I *am* looking forward to Black Sails, though.

#13 Reposado

Reposado

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Is it? Both descriptions had me thinking it was a comedic-procedural type show.

A sitcom (sans laugh track) would be much more interesting.

its single cam, so i would assume no laugh track. its on before new girl, and after another new comedy.

#14 RedEyedGhost

RedEyedGhost

Clone Club!

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

Agents of SHIELD - Whedon-style Marvel TV show. I'm in. If they can do as good a job as "arrow" this will be great. Under pitfall could be how it ties into all the films

I have zero interest in this show, but feel like I should be a good nerd and watch it. I just don't think I can though - I fucking hated SHIELD way back when I was reading Marvel comics, and the heavy SHIELD influence made the new Spider-Man animated series nearly unwatchable.

Almost human - It stars Karl Urban (who should be a big film star IMO) and while it sounds like another lazy police procedural the creators are enough to give it a few episodes. For all JJ Abrams faults he is usually pretty good at show concepts that suck you in before pulling the rug out from under you to discover you are actually watching a pretty heavy SFF show. No big mysteries please!

I'll watch this one, but I hope it doesn't become as you say "another lazy police procedural." I've seen a lot of people say that Karl Urban should be a major film star, but I just don't see it. I don't think he's a bad actor or anything, I have just not once found him memorable. What am I missing?

Tomorrow People. First I've heard of this but will check just because i loved the original as a kid and miss the teen aliens/powers type of show

Dracula. I think JRM was ridiculous in "Tudors" but as an unageing vampire he'll at least look the part. Main thing is Daniel Knauf's (Carnivale) the showrunner.

Sleepy hollow - maybe. From the creators of Star Trek/Transformers cuts both ways. More potential if when I think of them as "fringe" showrunners.

I'll try these, but I'm not really hopeful about any of them.

Brooklyn Nine Nine - someone is going to have to tell me this is great before I'll try and watch it. Although I admit a comedy cop show could be a breath of fresh air given how many damn serious ones have been out this year.

This one looks like it could be really good or really bad. I did quite enjoy The Good Guys, so hopefully this will be similar to that.

Hostages - seems a bit desperate to start adapting Israeli shows that were never made. That alone suggests it's not going to be "homeland" or "in treatment" but it could be interesting

Once upon a time in wonderland/the originals. Both sound more interesting to me than the shows they originate from. I'd try them but fear they won't be very stand-alone and don't want to watch the parent shows as well.

Blacklist - sounds too much like everything else and I don't need another following.

I have zero interest in any of these.

Hello Ladies. I'm curoious to see how a Merchant solo effort works but again I'll have to be pesuaded by others to give it a shot. I'd be more likely to watch it if it was a BBC show.

The clips for this have looked really funny, so I'm hopeful it will live up to that promise.

Masters of sex - lousy title and there's nothing about it to really grab my attention. If it turns out to be "Mad Men/ Boardwalk empire" I may do a season catch-up.

I might check out Masters of Sex, but only because of Caplan. I would happily watch her reading the paper.

Like Durckad, I'll be watching because Lizzy Caplan's in it. She's a great actress, and also extremely lovely.

Dads. Not interested. I'll admit to watching Family Guy and American dad but everything else by him is just more of the same but worse.

Nope.

we are men - no.

Tony Shaloub, what are you thinking /shocked.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shocked:' />

The previews for this are so laughable. A wheelchair bound detective? Are you kidding me?? Nobody will watch this! I predict the ratings will be a historic low, even for NBC.

Betrayal - no. Even when these shows are good they should never go into a second season story.

Trophy wife - no

super fun night- no

the crazy ones - no

Agreed - except I will try Trophy Wife because I agree with Howdyphillip

Great post RS... I don't really have time right now to go over it, but the one thing that popped out right away was to not discount Bradley Whitford in Trophy Wife.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0925966/

That guy is a force of nature...

Summary: Only one I'm really excited about. Only two I'll try and two that I may check if people here rave about them (obviously I'd check any of them if enough people said it was good).
I thought there were a lot more "new" shows coming out? Or I they rolliing a lot out in January 2014? Actually there are so I've added them to the list in bold too.

Funny that the shows I'm most interested are the most sci-fi. Damn, I miss some old-school dudes on a spaceship/station TV.

I'm still hoping that SyFy brings out most of these shows that they were reportedly developing back in April. I think most of those look better than what the networks are putting out.

#15 Black Wolf Smith

Black Wolf Smith

Heretical Harlequin

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

Tomorrow People.1 First I've heard of this but will check just because i loved the original as a kid and miss the teen aliens/powers type of show

Brooklyn Nine Nine2 - someone is going to have to tell me this is great before I'll try and watch it. Although I admit a comedy cop show could be a breath of fresh air given how many damn serious ones have been out this year.

Funny that the shows I'm most interested are the most sci-fi. Damn, I miss some old-school dudes on a spaceship/station TV3.

1. Its a remake of at least 2 UK shows from the 70's. What they say about it sounds like Heroes but they say it very different.

2. I am sorry, this looks like crap. When the promo for a comedy isn't funny, the show isn't going to be funny. I mean when the best/biggest line in the Promo's is "no I didn't catch them, but the good news is I brought you back Hazelnut"

3. I totally agree.

#16 Kobayashi Maru

Kobayashi Maru

Devil Made Me Do IT

• Members
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well...where to start...

I'll give anything a fair chance,I often get pleasantly surprised.

I'm really excited to see Almost Human. Karl urban I'm ready come at me bro /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

SHIELD is as someone said my nerd duty show,I can't say I'm excited or anything but I'm invested in that universe so I'll check it out to be sure I'm not missing out on anything big.

Once upon a time in Wonderland lost me at "love triangle"...I'm so tired of it. Please can someone do anything other than that...anything...someone? anyone? please...

Reign...same issue. Too mush romance too little history.

Tomorrow People...they do this every year since 4400.They try soooo hard to get us to fall for new people with powers tw show that it really is annoyance,at least for me,to see this plot served to us as something new and fresh. It's same thing,same premise and they shoot for the same audience every year...it's not working move on ppl. Let us breathe for year or two,give us chance to miss it for a while and we'll be begging you to give us one heroes type show...but now it's like...how stupid and easy you think we are...

Dracula...hate the actor,might check it out if more ppl says it's worth an effort.

Originals...can't wait. Yeas I'm shallow here and I love Vampire Diaries and I can't wait to have more Elijah served to me every week...sue me...

Trophy Wife
Masters of Sex
WE are men
Super fun night
that Nine-Nine cop commedy
Betrayal

not interested at all. Nine-Nine guy is already getting on my nerves and I only red description of his character. I got lost and bored just reading the summary of Betrayal.Like love triangle cubed with element of plot that could sufice for another four shows...and I just couldn't care less.

Hostages...it sounded like a plot for a movie to me,not tw show.don't know how they think to make it into two seasons.

Blacklist might check it for Spader

Ironside...meh

Sleepy hollow...don't like the present day setting,the plot where protagonist suddenly wakes up in the future and spends rest of the season figuring out how and why is to cliche...but might check it if I hear good things about it.

Dads and Hello ladies I even forgot were in the new shows this fall...

So one and a halt tw shows to look forward to...great,I'm watching to many things already /lol.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

#17 Winterfell is Burning

Winterfell is Burning

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Agents of SHIELD and Masters of Sex look pretty good. I might check a few other shows, but I'm not optimistic about the rest.

#18 Bearbert Dondarrion

Bearbert Dondarrion

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

I'm probably most interested in Sleepy Hollow... It gives me some serious Fringe vibes from the trailer(even before I saw the producers). I need some replacement for that show(and season 5, while interesting, was a different show). Hope we'll get some good monster of the week episodes(but mostly interested in the myth arc)

#19 scotcat

scotcat

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Agents of SHIELD looks as if it's worth a shot - I have to confess to being a comic book nerd so this was a bit of a no brainer for me.

Asides from that, I'll probably give Dracula, The Originals and OUAT in Wonderland a whirl.

#20 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

100% meat like product

• Members
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Did anyone catch Brooklyn 99 last night? I really liked the show. There were several laugh out loud moments for me. Adam Sandberg is truly funny, and Andre Braugher is a perfect straight man for him. I also really liked the dynamics between the other characters specifically the hard nosed female detective and the geeky male detective. It was already funny this week, and I expect it will have a lot of miles out of that relationship.

This one is getting set up on my DVR

Reply to this topic