which king would you have

Noah Snow

No idea where the Renly is stupid thing is coming from.

He was the first person we see to actively identify the Lannister influence as a threat and try and diminish it, he was the quickest person to assess the 'Robert's dying' scenario and offer the best solution. When that was turned down he immediately took the wisest course and got the hell out of Dodge.

Then he uses his political skill and connections to establish the most powerful base in the realm, and engages in the exact campaign 2 of the smartest players we see, LF and Tyrion, say is the smartest way to go about it. He WAS winning. And then he traps supposed military wise man Stannis in an impossible military position.

But, previously unheard of shadow baby happens, and we're supposed to somehow conclude he was acting stupidly. Or the TV show turns him into an afraid of blood Tyrell puppet, and we're supposed to forget he was very much in charge and the prime mover even according to biased Cat.

He was, on balance, by far the most politically able and intelligent king the realm has had on offer. Of the players, he had by far the best chance to be king. Of those with a chance to be king, he was by far the best player. He, Jon Arryn and Tywin have the greatest grasp of realpolitik, IMO.

Seems pretty easy for me.

If Stannis wasn't so hell bent on alienating everyone and constantly keeping score of who as not given him exactly what he feels he was deserved, and if he wasn't heading down the pyro-zealot religious reformer path, he'd make a damned good king, too. Robb was a genius on the battlefield, and had potential elsewhere, but was probably too young and Starkish to rule a kingdom that included the a south.

Balon is a buffoon.

Dany is fucking up a lot, but I wonder how much of that is GRRM's Mereen knot stuff and having to keep her on a treadmill while other aspects develop. She's brave and mostly smart and has a knack for attracting able, devoted advisors.

Aegon, fake or real, has a real chance to be excellent. Whether it's to get a BF or a Targ on the throne, I do believe Varys, Jon Con et al were extremely diligent, perceptive and sincere in their grooming of him to be an ideal monarch, and he seems to hit high marks across the board on abilities.

1-Stannis with Davos as a hand

2-Robb with Roose as hand

3-Tommens with Tywin as hand

To get a good rule, you need someone to be loved and you need someone able to dirty his hands. SOme rare kings are able to get be both, not not within the 5 kings (well tommens isnt really one of the 5).

No idea where the Renly is stupid thing is coming from.

He was the first person we see to actively identify the Lannister influence as a threat and try and diminish it, he was the quickest person to assess the 'Robert's dying' scenario and offer the best solution. When that was turned down he immediately took the wisest course and got the hell out of Dodge.

Then he uses his political skill and connections to establish the most powerful base in the realm, and engages in the exact campaign 2 of the smartest players we see, LF and Tyrion, say is the smartest way to go about it. He WAS winning. And then he traps supposed military wise man Stannis in an impossible military position.

But, previously unheard of shadow baby happens, and we're supposed to somehow conclude he was acting stupidly. Or the TV show turns him into an afraid of blood Tyrell puppet, and we're supposed to forget he was very much in charge and the prime mover even according to biased Cat.

He was, on balance, by far the most politically able and intelligent king the realm has had on offer. Of the payers, he had the best chance to be king. Of those with a chance to be king, he was the best player. He, Jon Arryn and Tywin have the greatest grasp of realpolitik, IMO.

Seems pretty easy for me.

Renly sees the danger, and wants to replace the Lannisters with the Tyrells. Let that one sink in for a minute.

Renly is not the "quickest". Cersei is. She knew he was going to die in advance. Renly's plan succeeding depends on Cersei being a complete idiot. He's solution is based on Ned not having honor and respect for Bob, Cersei not already being two steps ahead of him as a person who was aware Bob is going to die, and 100 swords being enough when the City Watch is still uncontacted.

His "political skill" landed him in the same marriage alliance to a powerfull family that he was so "afraid of". He crowns himself king, and gets two regions. Easy with the titles, Tyrion and Pedofinger are overhyped. And none of them is a military thinker, never mind what they or fans might think. he was not winning anything. Just makinjg a slow advance while real fighting took place. He does not trap Stannis in an impossible position. He hears that Stannis pressed his claim back in Horn Hill, yet is still sure, and he even says so to Catelyn, that Stannis and Dorne (Ha!) will join him. Yeah, poilitical "skill". Stannis goes to SE based on a vision that Renly will die, and his bannermen will flock to Stannis. Guess what. So he does, and so they do.

Shadow baby apears, and that provides a lovely shield for people who look at a person who wants to kill his own nephews and brother to get the throne, counts on imaginary allies, hopes that seperatists will join him because of his imaginary allies' backed sterngh, wants to march on his brother with no supplies, attack a fortified position against a seasoned battle commander at a time of his enemy's choosing, a master of laws who laughs himself out of court while listening to witnesses to an attack on the crown prince, in charge of a city watch so corrupt that Pedofinger tries to keep as is for his own intentions, as somehow a competent ruler and possible good king. Bullshit.

He was, by far, the one who was easyest to fool and control. he would have been a second Robert, where the Tyrells would play the part of the Lannisters, and where his family members would fight bloody wars of succession, each claiming to be the better suited.

Seems pretty easy for me. Avoid at all cost.

If Stannis wasn't so hell bent on alienating everyone and constantly keeping score of who as not given him exactly what he feels he was deserved, and if he wasn't heading down the pyro-zealot religious reformer path, he'd make a damned good king, too. Robb was a genius on the battlefield, and had potential elsewhere, but was probably too young and Starkish to rule a kingdom that included the a south.

Stannis tried to get the Stormlords, his natural allies, to support him. None did. He tries a "red hawk". So far, he is the last man standing of the original 5 kings.

Robb was glory hungry. He faught 2.5 battles. He had surprise and quality advantage in all, and in the WW he also had the numbers. He sends his infantry on a risky mission, and they lose hurribly. Why? Because he listened to his mom and placed a commander he does'nt trust, and took 9/10ths of the cavalry with him. Competent, but not what I'd call a genius. And the problems were with Bolton and Karstark as much as they were with Frey. The North had it's share of troubles from local lords. Blaming his mistakes on "the south" is kinda lame.

Balon is a buffoon.

Agreed.

Dany is fucking up a lot, but I wonder how much of that is GRRM's Mereen knot stuff and having to keep her on a treadmill while other aspects develop. She's brave and mostly smart and has a knack for attracting able, devoted advisors.

Kinda generouse today, are we?

She wants to get to Westeros. Somehow, along the way, SHE STARTED A WAR WITH THE WRONG CONTINENT.

Aegon, fake or real, has a real chance to be excellent. Whether it's to get a BF or a Targ on the throne, I do believe Varys, Jon Con et al were extremely diligent, perceptive and sincere in their grooming of him to be an ideal monarch, and he seems to hit high marks across the board on abilities.

All those years of training and grooming. Still acts like he owns the place like any other prince. If Varys and Jon Con are his councilors, the realm is in for some realy bad times.

Stannis if i have to choose only from war of the 5 kings.

But honestly, right now, Aegon Blackfyre. I think he can bring about the change and stability Westeros needs and he is certainly someone who can be a unifying factor for all other houses....kinda like Jon Snow's LC election.

I think Blackfyres are going to bring the peace to the realm...and in any case..they are Targaryens too legitimized.... and more pure Targs than the original Targ line XD

i was woundering, robert may be a buffoon, but in the war of the five kings, i think he is better then most of them. he was able to keep peace, unlike most of the people in the seires. stannis is too uncompromisable, renly is too green, balon is too ironborn, joffrey is too vicious, and robb is just a boy, and does not make good decisions. (red wedding) so who do you think would make the best king.

Robb is a man grown when he dies so I don't know what you're getting at by calling him a boy. If that's so then Joff falls in the same category. Robb was a very good King. So good in fact that Tywin needed to cook up the cheapest way possible to get rid of him. So, I have to say... THE KING IN THE NORTH AND THE TRIDENT.

Stannis all the way. He may not be well-liked, but he has what it takes to be a competent and capable ruler. Robb, despite being a good commander, would be a poor king for the 7k, as evidenced by the terrible political decisions he made during the war. Renly would be completely clueless on how to rule and would just end up as a puppet manipulated by those who actually understand the game.

Dany ofcourse, she is the only person who cares about the common people and does not want endless war. She fight for equality and justice. She choose not to go to westeros because she did not want to cause more deaths. I doubt the rest of the kings would have been so altruistic

Ideally if i could choose anyone to be king I would go for Jon Snow but i guess he doesn't count in this thread.

Archived