Is he an oaf?

Drexyon7

I would say that sitting outside Storm's End wasn't the worst thing he could have done. Securing victory for mad Aerys? Hell no, that's a bad idea. As soon as the revolution has been extinguished Aerys would've become suspicious of the guy with the largest remaining army. Siding with the rebellion? He was never included in the plans of Jon & Robert & Eddard and would not have gained much. Pulling a Tywin and riding into KL? First of all, as far as we know he didn't have two inside men like Tywin had, secondly it was still a pretty risky affair and particularly risky for everyone who knew about the wildfire plot. Doing absolutely nothing like the late Lord Frey? Not an option for a warden. So he sends Tarly to defeat Robert at Ashford (whether Robert's escape was planned by Mace/Tarly or not we don't know) and then stays out of the mess, sitting on his ass in front of Storm's End. By the way, we don't know what orders he received from Aerys/Rhaegar. Might well be that they didn't trust Highgarden enough to risk having the might of Highgarden in their back at the Trident. Just imagine the Tyrell's had turned anvil to Robert's hammer.

Mace is certainly not the brightest of them all but he seems able enough (with the help of Olenna and his other advisors) to keep his head on his shoulders despite difficult circumstances. And he doesn't seem to be quite as ambitious to play the game of thrones as Olenna, for example.

I never knew Dickon was the true heir, where did you read that?

Dickon had a stronger claim than Garlan who presumably has little to no Florent blood.

Dickon's mother is a Florent.

This. Melessa Tarly nee Florent is Lord Alester Florent's heir after Alekyne is out for being a Stannis-supporting traitor. Brightwater Keep should go to her or her son.

Or maybe Rhea Hightower nee Florent as her younger sister.

By and large, giving Brightwater Keep to Garlan pisses off two of his three most important supporters.

This. Melessa Tarly nee Florent is Lord Alester Florent's heir after Alekyne is out for being a Stannis-supporting traitor. Brightwater Keep should go to her or her son.

By and large, giving Brightwater Keep to Garlan pisses off two of his three most important supporters.

May also be exactly what Tywin wanted to do by giving it to Garlan.

I am probably one of the few people who think that Mace isn't as dumb as the fans make him out to be. I don't deny that he isn't exactly the sharpest of the bunch, but I also dont like it when I see people going: Olenna is 100% brains and Mace is 0%. Mace didn't make all his decision based on her advice and hes doing pretty well right now. And in the occasions that he does take her advice, I consider it a point to his favor for actually doing so. I guess I just think that people underestimate Mace and overestimate Olenna too much sometimes.

May also be exactly what Tywin wanted to do by giving it to Garlan.

'Twas Mace who made the request, so I wouldn't lay this one on Tywin's door entirely.

But I'll add this to his list of oafish accomplishments:

• Pressured his eldest son, a boy at the time, into going against fully grown men in a tourney just because he likes knights.
  • He requested to be named HotK in a very public setting, and he simply wouldn't take the hints Cersei gave him to back down. If Cersei comes off as subtler than you, you're not the brightest of men.
  • He has invested Storm's End twice with a huge host against a small garrison, and he still hasn't taken the damn thing.

Not the biggest Oaf, but little, yes. Marrying Marg to Renly and backing him up with so much as a flimsy excuse was stupid, specially since he has three sons that might quarrel over inheritance. Giving up the North to Balon!? Launching an army against Moat Caillin!? That decorated cup! Taking away the inheritance of two of your most dangerous bannermen (Tarly and Hightower)? Dickering with public with Cersei about the position of Hand? SE 2.0? Tommen declaring Marg innocent by decree? Going to war with the Faith? Hand throne? Bigger Tower?

Watch out Rodrik Cassel and Victarion, you have competition.

I think its more of the fact that Dickon would become Lord of Brightwater and Lord of Horn Hill, which would establish him as one of the most powerful Lords of the Reach

I think its more of the fact that Dickon would become Lord of Brightwater and Lord of Horn Hill, which would establish him as one of the most powerful Lords of the Reach

Then have him promised to Garlan's daughter. Or give Brightwater to his sister, promised to Garlan's son. Just give the Tarlys (and Hightowers) something instead of rubbing their faces in the dirt.

No. He's a badass.

The Hand "throne" is one of the greatest achievements in Westeros history.

I hope Cersei exercises her pyromania, douses that monstrosity in wildfire, and burns it.

Wait, it IS made, carved out of wood, isn't it?

In all honestly, I think if Tarly ever turns on Mace, The Lord Puff Fish of Highgarden will be sushi.

I hope Cersei exercises her pyromania, douses that monstrosity in wildfire, and burns it.

Wait, it IS made, carved out of wood, isn't it?

In all honestly, I think if Tarly ever turns on Mace, The Lord Puff Fish of Highgarden will be sushi.

Heartsbane is a Valyrian steel sushi knife? That fugu's deadly on its own, though.

I feel like this statement is not at all helpful to really consider Mace's intelligence.

Think about it this way: Mace sided with Renly who was a usurper and treasonous. His daugther married him, but supposedly did not consumate. Through LF the Tyrells allied with Tywin and saved KL at the last moment, but just Tywin told Tyrion applause is for jesters, the Tyrells couldn't strut about as the real saviours of KL especially when not so long ago they were traitors. Mace, Margy, and the rest of them have to be flowery sweet to stay on the crown's good side, part of which is probably talking up Joffrey's (nonexistent) role in the seige. I don't have the specific passage where Mace supposedly praises Joffrey, but I feel this is good explanation for it.

He genuinely believes it, he doesn't have to, no-one else does, it's a facade for the rest of them, he's not pretending, he's just that stupid.

Archived