Sleepy Hollow

Myrddin

It's terrible, but it's a lot of fun. "That's a Starbucks, too... how many are there?" "Per block?" "Is there a law?"

I know Starbucks Per Capita humor is very six-years-ago... still funny.

This is what will happen.... I'll pass because i know it is going to suck.... then someone will tell me how great it is, and I'll watch.... then I realize that they also thought The Mindy Project was funny, and hate myself for having listened.

Same here but with this alteration "This is what will happen.... I'll pass because i know it is going to suck.... then someone will tell me how great it is, and I'll watch.... then it gets cancelled"

You know it's one if the better pilots I've seen in a little while. It did feel like they tried to put too many eggs in one pilot basket. But it did well at setting relationships, expectation and tone.

It allowed you to get a good feel for what is coming.

I hope it calms down a bit though and they pace themselves a bit better.

I've recorded it. So I'm going to go back and watch it again. I had a lot of interruption during the episode.

Until then though. From what I did catch. I liked.

It did feel like they tried to put too many eggs in one pilot basket.

I wish they'd left out George Washington and the Four Horseman. Make Headless a servant of evil, and use a fictional character that might be close to historical greats without being one of them.

I can only imagine execs thought the show would appeal to watchers who think America has a destiny related to events foretold in the Bible....but then they threw in the witch covens.

Hopefully they actually start dropping some of the baggage as the show goes on.

I wish they'd left out George Washington and the Four Horseman. Make Headless a servant of evil, and use a fictional character that might be close to historical greats without being one of them.

I can only imagine execs thought the show would appeal to watchers who think America has a destiny related to events foretold in the Bible....but then they threw in the witch covens.

Hopefully they actually start dropping some of the baggage as the show goes on.

Two references (at least) to free masons in the pilot, Ichabod looking at the pyramid with the eye on the back of the dollar bill and then the pyramid and eye again on one of the headstones in the graveyard.

George Washington was a free mason along with Ben Franklin and other founding fathers and there's all the conspiracy theories about it. It appears they want the free masons as a major force in the show - a shadow society aligned with the "good" coven and against the four hoersemen, and "bad" coven and trying to prevent or at least let "good" win the battle of biblical apocalypse/Revelation.

I enjoyed the show. It had a nice mix of humor to go along with the over the top action(headless horseman with guns was oddly funny). I also liked the lead actor, not sure what his name is.

The thing I really liked though is when he read the passage about the two people fighting evil for 7 years, or however it went. This means, IMO, they have a plan for the show and if its a hit they can lay it out how they want to.

I find, to often, that fantastical shows such as this don't actually have a plan for the long term. First season is really good, but it continues to go downhill the longer the show goes(Heroes for example). Hopefully, by using that line, they have an idea of how the show should progress and end.

Overall I liked it enough to continue watching, I just wish "Sulu" would have stuck around, but I thought his death was cool and creepy.

I enjoyed it. It moved WAYYY too fast. They could have unfolded all of that shiz in 2 episodes easy.

But the guy is hot.

The girl is hot.

The witch is hot.

Clancy brown WAS hot.

It's a nice contrast to Grimm's. "OMG WE ARE IN SEASON 2 AND JULIET MUST NEVER KNOW I AM A GRIMM AND WE WILL MAKE HER FORGET HER MEMORIES FOR A WHOLE A SEASON TO AVOID THAT......................."

Pilot: perfectly adorable.

I now have quite a lot of dorky goodwill for the show, and it's probably going to take the better part of a season to dissipate that even if it does absoloutely nothing cute from here on out, and I suspect it has quite a bit more cuteness in it yet. The writing is absolutely godawful when considered by the metrics of, like, taste and quality and stuff, yes, but it also has a certain brand of cheap, sturdy, vervy competence going for it. Good witches, evil witches - check. Conspiracy - check. Tortured past history - check. Liberal amounts of decapitation - check. Utterly absurd biblical hodgepodge - check. And whats-his-name is hot and the headless dude is funny. What more do you need, really? Me, i'm happy with that.

@Drawk: Ah, thanks for cluing me in on the Mason angle.

=-=-=

Io9 recommended people watch, and it got an A- at AVClub which surprised me.

And apparently the show won't just be focusing on the Headless Horseman, but on other beings associated with the coven of Evil. So it might manage to stick around for a bit.

@Drawk: Ah, thanks for cluing me in on the Mason angle.

=-=-=

Io9 recommended people watch, and it got an A- at AVClub which surprised me.

And apparently the show won't just be focusing on the Headless Horseman, but on other beings associated with the coven of Evil. So it might manage to stick around for a bit.

Sepinwall liked it too, as long as it stays batshit crazy.

Okay, I didn't watch the pilot episode. But y'all have sold me on it.

For those like me that missed it, Fox will be rebroadcasting the first episode on Saturday night. My DVR is set and ready to go.

That must be why it's not coming up on my On Demand listing...

I was super tired Monday night and was just sitting on my be reading a book when around 9:20 I remembered the show was on. I opted to watch it later from the beginning rather than play catch up.

Glad to hear mostly good reactions. Grimm should've been up my alley, but I never got into it. Once Upon a Time either, so I do watch it on and off. Hopefully Sleepy Hollow can hit that balance for me.

It's reminding me of V (remember? The show with Inara as an evil sexy reptile alien?) Totally nonsensical, but so long as it can keep up a certain energy, rather enjoyable.

To give it a tiny bit more credit, there could actually be a fairly interesting buddy cop dynamic there - not just a fun one - if they allow them both a little more depth. Amid all the batshit and melodramatic histrionics and head chopping, the scene that sticks with me was when he's sitting there in the asylum, totally exhausted, wondering for a moment if he really is crazy and Abbie can't help but be sympathetic. If they can keep up the crazy but pull off just a little more of that too, i'll be on board.

Archived