Metal Thread Vol. VII - Awaiting the hour of reprisal

Ferrum Aeternum

Anyone who's a fan of Dan Swano and progressive metal might want to check out

. It's basically just Dan, who does vocals, keyboards and drums, and a guy named Ragnar Widerberg who has an epic mustache and plays a mean guitar. It definitely sounds a lot like Moontower and Edge of Sanity but with a more 70's hard rock vibe. Ragnar tears it up on guitar and Swano is... well Swano. He utilizes more of a 50/50 mix of clean vocals and growls as opposed to the more growl-focused Moontower and Edge of Sanity.

This pretty much came out of nowhere. I had no idea it existed until it was out and I had absolutely no expectations for it. It's definitely one of the most pleasant surprises of the summer. I'm not sure if this is just a one-off project for Swano or an actual band, but I hope to hear some more.

Nice, a metal thread :) Any black metal fans around?

Not the biggest fan of traditional black metal but I listen to a ton of black and quasi-black metal with prefix qualifiers (i.e. ambient, atmospheric, folk, progressive et al) and I dig Viking metal with the force of a thousand warhammers!

A new round of MDF announcements, including a Floridian DM classic, Nocturnus.

Also, Sacrifice, an absolutely ripping thrash metal band from Canada.

I'm seeing Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats on that list too. One of my YouTube guilty pleasures.

If I can get to it next year I will be metal enough to have metal in my wrist! Should be all healed by may I hope.

Not the biggest fan of traditional black metal but I listen to a ton of black and quasi-black metal with prefix qualifiers (i.e. ambient, atmospheric, folk, progressive et al) and I dig Viking metal with the force of a thousand warhammers!

Subgenres that I enjoy greatly as well, perhaps with the exception of folk. Not really a viking-fan either, much seems redundant, or more bluntly, boring, though there are exceptions such as Primordial or Falkenbach, recommendations in this regard always welcome.

Yep.

Of my absolute favorites, Nagelfar, Deathspell Omega and Furia, the former two are already well known, the latter probably as well, but no harm in recommending them once more. Their album Grudzien za Grudniem is amazing, my all-time favourite. Unfortunately the three greatest songs are not on on yt, but

is superb as well.

Their first album is worth

as well, as basically all of their stuff.

Subgenres that I enjoy greatly as well, perhaps with the exception of folk. Not really a viking-fan either, much seems redundant, or more bluntly, boring, though there are exceptions such as Primordial or Falkenbach, recommendations in this regard always welcome.

Of my absolute favorites, Nagelfar, Deathspell Omega and Furia, the former two are already well known, the latter probably as well, but no harm in recommending them once more. Their album Grudzien za Grudniem is amazing, my all-time favourite. Unfortunately the three greatest songs are not on on yt, but

is superb as well.

Their first album is worth

as well, as basically all of their stuff.

I already mentioned them in the last metal thread, but I must recommend Winterfylleth, if you haven't checked them out already. Black metal with some Viking essence, almost certain one or more dudes from Primordial are in Winterfylleth. Thredondy of Triumph was just about my album of the year for 2012.

ETA the rest of the post, phone mishap

Thank you -- I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out where I'd read discussion of Furia before. Couldn't remember if it was here, or at one of the metal communities I frequent, or talking with friends...

I listen to pretty much all black metal subgenres, although I generally dislike DSBM (so fucking boring) and I decided long ago that I didn't want NSBM on my conscience. So, I generally avoid DSBM bands and I actively avoid NSBM bands. Otherwise, I'll give just about anything a whirl. Some current favorites include Mgla -- With Hearts Toward None, Cultes Des Ghoules -- Henbane and Aosoth -- IV: An Arrow In Heart.

I'm intensely saddened that I will be missing the Sabbat show in October. But I have other obligations that weekend.

Winterfylleth sounds interesting at first glance (or listen, rather), thx, unfortunately I don't have sufficient time to deal with them thoroughly at the moment, will do so later.

DSBM really tends to be, ahem, monotonous, although there are gems such as Gris.

As for NSBM, I hold a similar view; although some bands, Abigor or Burzum for example, are greatly talented, somehow I can't really enjoy the music, and thus I generally refrain from buying/listening to bands of said genre.

Other than that, I'm not really into the whole symphonic/melodic sector.

Oh, and new Mgla and Aosoth are really good.

As for NSBM, I hold a similar view; although some bands, Abigor or Burzum for example, are greatly talented, somehow I can't really enjoy the music, and thus I generally refrain from buying/listening to bands of said genre.

OK, turns out I do know what NSBM is after all. For whatever reason I don't remember coming across the term before.

i enjoy some black metal. when it crosses with death i am very pleased.

while i am generally not a big black metal guy on album i fucking love some black metal live. the shows are generally small. the crowds are vested in the music. the bands are intense as fuck.

and nocturnus at mdf14 is going to be fucking sweet. my love for classic death metal is fulfilled. the lineup is fleshing out nicely.

NSBM isn't a sound, really. It's just an umbrella term for bands that push an overt racist/supremacist message. Taken broadly, I'd say it's pretty evenly split between folk black metal, raw black metal and norsecore in Europe/NA/Russia, and raw black metal, black/death or black/thrash in South America and Australia/NZ. Annnnd that's about all I want to say or think about NSBM for the next twelvemonth. ;)

Re: MDF -- indeed! And it's apparently going to be in Baltimore (not in the boonies), so we won't have to worry about camping out in some sorry hovel. Still very curious where it'll end up being. I kind of wish that it'll be down by Soundstage Live. The tourists will be horrified, but that'll make it even more entertaining.

Re: MDF -- indeed! And it's apparently going to be in Baltimore (not in the boonies), so we won't have to worry about camping out in some sorry hovel. Still very curious where it'll end up being. I kind of wish that it'll be down by Soundstage Live. The tourists will be horrified, but that'll make it even more entertaining.

have you booked rooms yet? we are likely going to go sheraton again. it is close to pretty much anywhere in bmore they could hold the event. not sure if i will break out the jesus costume again. it was fun and all. but, jesus cannot even eat a sausage and peppers with his wife without being asked for a photo op.

kair put this on my facebook: a petition to have gwar for the 2015 super bowl halftime show. i fucking love it.

I have not booked rooms yet -- if nothing is immediately close to the venue, then we might just go with the Sheraton as well.

It surprises me not that the Son of God might be harassed for photo ops -- how often does a metal festival have a divine visitation, after all?

It'll never happen, but I really hope that the petition is successful. GWAR rule like no other band of alien sex addicts in the galaxy.

Got around to listening to the new Carcass album. I'm not quite sure what I think of it. I mean, it has some killer riffs and the production is clear, but I think after hearing so many damned bands who are basically Carcass rip-off bands (especially those who went the deathcore or slam route), an actual Carcass album with this particular production style feels like a cliche. Or, maybe a better way to put it is that this is the best Carcass rip-off album ever recorded. Which is not a bad thing: there are some ass-whupping tracks on it -- current favorite is Unfit For Human Consumption. So, yeah, I will need some time with this one to judge it on its own merits, rather than my frustration with a decade of shitty clone bands.

For those who like atmospheric black metal, you might want to check out Moon (AUS) Nine Gates -- it's not wildly original, but it has its moments.

In more straight-up black metal, the new Christicide (FRA) Upheaval of the Soul is pretty good. Less noisy than the debut, but some solid French BM.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the new Zemial album. It -- and the new Inquisition -- are out in late October.

Archived