Metal Thread Vol. VII - Awaiting the hour of reprisal

Ferrum Aeternum

Woohoo!! Another Stargate metal fan. :D

It's, what, you, me, Yags, Tsavong Lah(?) and...?? I thought there was at least one more around these parts.

I've listened to a few songs of theirs, liked them but never progressed beyond that point. Recommend me one of their albums and I'll report back. :)

I found a Dune-themed brutal technical death metal band. I will report on the album in the next day or so.

I hope they're named Kwisatz Haderach, because I think that would be appropriate for a brutal tech metal band.

I've listened to a few songs of theirs, liked them but never progressed beyond that point. Recommend me one of their albums and I'll report back. :)

I hope they're named Kwisatz Haderach, because I think that would be appropriate for a brutal tech metal band.

Re: Pagan's Mind -- the most progressive of their albums is Celestial Entrance. But for a better taste of the rest of their oeuvre (which incorporates power metal as well), try Enigmatic : Calling.

Re: Dune -- band is called Nephren-Ka. I will report today about their music.

I got into grunge, particularly AIC and Soundgarden, when the first wave of it really hit around 1992. Great stuff that I still listen to today.

Never stopped listening to metal, although craptastic releases from a few of my favorite bands in the 90s dampened my enthusiasm, leading me to branch into death metal (Death and Carcass for starters, so tasty) and prog (Dream Theater). Then in the early 00s I discovered European power metal (starting with Blind Guardian) and black metal (Dimmu Borgir, Immortal) which opened up a whole new world.

Similar experience, but a different path overall. I went from all the classic 80's stuff, over to the newer (at the time) stuff like Pantera and Machine Head. To prog via Dream Theater, due to JP's lesson column in Guitar World magazine. Then I found Nightwish which led me into my obsession with Symphonic and female fronted metal.

I don't really care for black metal. Though admittedly I haven't really looked too far into it. I love Dimmu Borgir, but they are also Symphonic.

And speaking of Dream Theater, anybody else pick up the new album? I didn't care much for it at first, but after listening through several times it's really grown on me. Better than ADToE. Very Rush sounding. JP and JR have finally reigned in all the pointless wankery that was so abundant on their last few albums. Pretty solid album overall.

Nephren-Ka After-Action Report.

Imagine, if you will, Cephalic Carnage, Wormed, Nile and Kevin J. Anderson all abusing the exhumed corpse of Frank Herbert. From this unholy mingling of bodily essences springs forth a deformed, mutant, pestilential wreck that barks obscenities at you and wishes to molest your dog.

That's what Nephren-Ka sound like.

Similar experience, but a different path overall. I went from all the classic 80's stuff, over to the newer (at the time) stuff like Pantera and Machine Head. To prog via Dream Theater, due to JP's lesson column in Guitar World magazine. Then I found Nightwish which led me into my obsession with Symphonic and female fronted metal.

I don't really care for black metal. Though admittedly I haven't really looked too far into it. I love Dimmu Borgir, but they are also Symphonic.

And speaking of Dream Theater, anybody else pick up the new album? I didn't care much for it at first, but after listening through several times it's really grown on me. Better than ADToE. Very Rush sounding. JP and JR have finally reigned in all the pointless wankery that was so abundant on their last few albums. Pretty solid album overall.

I too was very much into Pantera around the time Vulgar Display... came out. While I still sporadically listen to that one and Cowboys from Hell, overall their music has not had long-term staying power for me. It may be due to the tiresome proliferation of vastly inferior "-core" bands that followed in their wake. It's one of the few subgenres of metal I have little use for.

As I mentioned upthread, with black metal I tend to prefer acts who blend elements of the genre with other styles - for instance, Immortal has a lot of thrash elements, and as you rightly point out Dimmu Borgir is probably 70% symphonic/30% black. I'm a huge fan of Enslaved's later work (late 90s-onward) which incorporates a lot of prog sensibilities. Then there's the ambient/atmospheric stuff like Summoning, Agalloch, Drudkh, et al that I spend entire weeks (winter ones especially) drowning in.

Related - I promised another poster a few Viking Metal recommendations. Lately I am on a serious Manegarm kick. If you don't like this, chances are you won't like anything else in the genre.

Manegarm - Sigrblot

It's pretty good but it hasn't really clicked with me yet. Few of the songs are really jumping out at me yet, though "Illumination Theory" is, unsurprisingly, a standout. There's a solo on one of the songs that almost sounds like they brought Alex Liefson in. It has a very distinctive Rush sound to it

Re: Pagan's Mind -- the most progressive of their albums is Celestial Entrance. But for a better taste of the rest of their oeuvre (which incorporates power metal as well), try Enigmatic : Calling.

Alas, Spotify did not have Enigmatic : Calling, so I just listened to Celestial Entrance instead. Not bad though it kinda makes me just want to listen to some Angra. The singer reminds me of Geoff Tate a bit.

Guys!

One more ASOIAF inspired song by another BM band from Greece.

It's f*** epic! It also samples the GOT main theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSaGi9SZYFI

Lyrics:

By the first light of the day
As the sun slowly rises
Casting shadows of warfare
At the battlefield of doom
Great swords and shields
Spears maces and maille
Brave hearts under armor
Eyes of fear under helms

As Dragon wings shade the Sun
The Wolf howls in fear
The Lion roars in horror
And the Stag runs for his life

We are three of the blood
Like the heads of our beast
(We reclaim our throne
By right, fire and blood)

Warhorse clad in steel
Chargin against the pikes
Crashing skulls and breaking bones
Valyrian blades tearing flesh

"When I am through with you
There won't be anything left"
Screams of the glorious Queen
In a frenzied Dragon dance

We reclaim our throne
By right, fire and blood
As the battle rages on
Swords slash and maim
Even the Kraken flees in haste
As crimson fire devastates

Nephren-Ka After-Action Report.

Imagine, if you will, Cephalic Carnage, Wormed, Nile and Kevin J. Anderson all abusing the exhumed corpse of Frank Herbert. From this unholy mingling of bodily essences springs forth a deformed, mutant, pestilential wreck that barks obscenities at you and wishes to molest your dog.

That's what Nephren-Ka sound like.

kevin anderson is a charlatan and an abomination. he and frank's horrid spawn brian have ruined the dune universe. the two of them should be captured, put into a tiny brightly lit cell and be forced to listen to their 'novels' be read aloud by fran drescher and gilbert gottfried until insanity overtakes them and they attempt to consume their own bodies to end their truly worthy and needed suffering.

Been meaning to give props to a few recent Bandcamp finds:

Panopticon (US black metal) They've done an album entitled Kentucky that's a superb genre portrait of rural Appalachia.

Panopticon - 'Bodies Under the Falls'

Caladan Brood (Malazan Metal) I believe these guys have been mentioned in these threads before. They are the real fucking deal. Musically, they beat Summoning at their own game. And yes, their music is based on Erikson's works. For the record I've never read a word of Erikson, but I'm ready to because of this band.

Caladan Brood - 'Wild Autumn Wind'

Church of Void (classic Doom) If you're looking for something fresh in the classic Paradise Lost / Type O vein, look no further. This band isn't the most original, but they are damn good at what they do. The album I linked happens to be called Winter is Coming but I'm not aware of any other direct ASOIAF references.

Church of Void - 'Winter is Coming'

Eoront (Atmospheric Black Metal) Just fucking great if you love this genre the way I do.

Eoront - 'Passing the Gates'

Four bands is enough for right now. More to come later. :)

New announcement for MDF. This shit just keeps getting better!

MY DYING BRIDE (UK) <---- not a huge fan, but goddamn.

PUNGENT STENCH (Austria) <----- GODDAMN

HOODED MENACE (Finland) <------- niiiiiiiiiice

ULCERATE (New Zealand) <----- *firm noed*

BÖLZER (Switzerland) <------ niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

WINDHAND <---- local talent. not familiar with them

Updated list of confirmed bands:

ASPHYX (Netherlands)
AT THE GATES (Sweden)
BÖLZER (Switzerland)
BONGRIPPER
CANCER (UK)
CANDLEMASS (Sweden)
THE CHURCH OF PUNGENT STENCH (Austria)
CROWBAR
DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK)
GOD MACABRE (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
GRAVES AT SEA
HEMDALE
HOODED MENACE (Finland)
MACHETAZO (Spain)
MGLA (Poland)
MY DYING BRIDE (UK)
NOCTURNUS A.D.
SACRIFICE (Canada)
SARKE (Norway)
SOILENT GREEN
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
TAAKE (Norway)
TANKARD (Germany)
ULCERATE (New Zealand)
ULVER (Norway)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
WINDHAND
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

Caladan Brood (Malazan Metal) I believe these guys have been mentioned in these threads before. They are the real fucking deal. Musically, they beat Summoning at their own game. And yes, their music is based on Erikson's works. For the record I've never read a word of Erikson, but I'm ready to because of this band.

Caladan Brood - 'Wild Autumn Wind'

Hell, yes! I think I brought these guys up back in February. I need to listen to their album again. Good chance they place very highly in my end-o-year list.

Also, there is no way in hell I'm missing MDF next year. Why? Well three reasons: 1) The lineup already looks amazing. 2) I had to bail this year due to work and its been too many years of me not making it. And 3) I just accepted a job yesterday that keeps me in the political realm but not directly on a campaign, so I'll finally have a consistent paycheck, normal hours, and time off. So nothing is going to keep me away from MDF next year!

Hell, yes! I think I brought these guys up back in February. I need to listen to their album again. Good chance they place very highly in my end-o-year list.

Yeah! I couldn't remember who it was that brought them up but I knew I'd seen the name here. I listened to some stuff from the album at the time and liked it, but somehow it got put on the backburner. Then a few weeks ago I rediscovered it and it's been a constant of my rotation since. Definitely one of my year's top 10 as well.

Also, there is no way in hell I'm missing MDF next year. Why? Well three reasons: 1) The lineup already looks amazing. 2) I had to bail this year due to work and its been too many years of me not making it. And 3) I just accepted a job yesterday that keeps me in the political realm but not directly on a campaign, so I'll finally have a consistent paycheck, normal hours, and time off. So nothing is going to keep me away from MDF next year!

Darn tootin'. Although that text you sent me in the middle of the Carcass set still makes me chuckle.

Archived