#1 Rhaenys_Targaryen

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hello everybody,
I have been reading the books of A Song of Ice and Fire and the Tales of Dunk and Egg, and I have examined the Targaryen family tree, and the conclusion is that they are very very complicated as a family. Most birth years aren't known, and westeros.org only gives very vague years (thanks to the information from the books, short stories and SSM). I have taken it upon myself to try and figure out the years of birth from all the Targaryens where it was possible, from Princess Rhaenyra until Daenarys. This proved some difficulty, and I was hoping that the people reading this could tell me whether or not I made a mistake somewhere. I hope you all find this as interesting as I do.

I sincerely apologize if everything becomes a bit fuzzy to follow, since, from the starting point, a lot of people have the names Aegon and Viserys. But you're at this forum, so you probably already knew that at least six Aegons and three Viserys' have lived, so we continue. It's a long piece, so buckle up

Edit: Updated with information GRRM released while announcing The Rogue Prince, or, the King's Brother.

Edit 21-3-14: Updated with information from the official app

Edit 17-6-14: Updates with The Rogue Prince

Edit 16-8-14: Updated with information from the Fire and Blood reading from LonCon

The error-marge of 1 year is not taken into account in this post. Should you be interested in seeing every calculation with the error-marge, follow the Wiki-Timeline Project link   :)  Reports from readings, that have not yet been taken up by Westeros.org, are not yet allowed on the wiki, and thus not yet placed in the wiki-project. Information from such readings are taken into account here.

Are you looking at this post and now think "Gosh.. I don't feel like reading all that text, but I am still interested in the  birth years?" Not to worry! There is a summary at the end of the post (only names and years), so you can just scroll on down, and search back the pieces of text that you are truly interested in :)

From a reading of "The Sons of the Dragon", to be published in Ice and Fire we've learned that Aegon the Conquerer was born in 27 B. His sister Visenya was born in 28 or 29 BC, since she was a year or two older, and his sister Rhaenys was born in 25 or 26 BC, since she was a year or two younger.

Aegon married both his sisters, and had 2 children: Aenys and Maegor. Aenys was born in 7AC, and died at the age of 35 in 42AC. Maegor was born 5 years later, in 12AC. 

In 10AC, Rhaenys died in Dorne with Meraxes.

Aenys married and had 6 children: Rhaena, born in 23AC, Aegon, born in 26AC, Viserys, born in 29AC, Jaehaerys, born in 34AC, Alysanne, born in 36AC, and Vhaella, born in 39AC.

Vhaella died the year she was born, in the cradle. 

Aenys' two eldest sons, Aegon and Viserys, died during Maegor's reign, so in or between 42AC and 48AC. Rhaena was married to Maegor at some point after Aegons death, and would thus have died either during or after Maegor's reign.

Maegor died in 48AC, due to unknown causes..

Jaehaerys and Alysanne had nine children, and 4 of those children are known by name: Prince Aemon, the firstborn son, Prince Baelon, the secondborn son, and daughters Saera and Daella.

With Jaehaerys born in 34AC and Alysanne in 36AC, and with the minimum age of 13 during the marriage and the birth of their firstborn child, the earliest moment of the birth of their firstborn child would be in 49AC. The secondborn child could not have been born before 50AC, the thirdborn in 501AC, the fourth born in 52AC, the fifth born in 53AC, the sixth born in 54AC, the seventh born in 55AC, the eight born in 56AC and the nineth born in 57AC.

Prince Aemon was the firstborn son, though it is unknown if he was the firstborn child, of Alysanne and Jaehaerys. So theoretically, his first year of birth could have been 49AC, and no sooner.

Of Saera and Daella, it is only known when Daella died (82AC). One of them might have been older than Aemon, but this is unknown. So theoratically, their first possible year of birth is the same as Aemon, in 49AC.

Daella married a Lord Arryn, and had at least 1 child, Aemma, who married Prince Viserys Targaryen in 93AC, and she would have been at least 13 years old. This places her birth in the year 80AC the latest, two years before Daella's death. Daella, in theory, would have been at least 13 years old in the year of Aemma's birth, placing her birth no later than 67AC.

So Daella was born in or between 49AC and 67AC.

Aemma would then have been born in or between 52AC (the first possible moment for Daella to have been 13), and 80AC (since Aemma would have been  at least 13 years old when she got married to Viserys, and they got married in 93AC, having been married in 103AC for a decade). Aemma died in late 105AC.

Prince Aemon had at least one child, Princess Rhaenys, born in 74 AC. He would have been at least 13 years old at her birth, meaning that his last year of birth was 61 AC. Aemon was thus born between 49 AC and 61AC. Seeing as how a Great Council was held in 92 AC to decide who would be Jaehaerys' heir (since Aemon as the first born son would be the immediate heir), this is most likely the year Aemon died.

The second born son was Prince Baelon, who had at least two sons: Viserys, later known at Viserys I, and Daemon. Viserys was 26 in 103AC, placing his birth in 77AC. Daemon is known to have been born in 81 AC. Baelon would have been at least 13 when Viserys was born, meaning that Baelon's last possible year of birth would be 64AC. Baelon's birth year will be somewhere in or between 50AC and 64AC. Seeing as how Baelon, who had been chosen as his fathers heir in 92 AC, was no longer heir in 101 AC, since Jaehaerys chose a new heir that year, Baelon most likely died that year.

The dates of the deaths of Baelon's sons are known precisely: Daemon was 49 years old at the time of his death, on the 22nd day of the 5th moon of the year 130 AC. King Viserys I died on the 3rd day of the 3rd moon in 129 AC.

As said before, Rhaenys Targaryen, the Queen who Never Was, was the daughter of Prince Aemon Targaryen, and the granddaughter of the Old King. Rhaenys was 55 years old at the time of her death in 129 AC. This puts her year of birth in 74 AC.

Viserys I was married twice. From his first marriage to Aemma Arryn, who herself had an unknown Targaryen ancestor, three children were born. Two boys died in infancy, but Rhaenyra was Viserys eldest child. Rhaenyra was born in 97 AC, and died on the 22nd day of the 10th moon in 130 AC. Viserys remarried in 106 AC, so his other two children were born and died in between 98 AC and 106 AC.

When Viserys Arryn Queen died, he remarried, in 106 AC, to Alicent Hightower. The first child from this marriage was born in 107 AC: Aegon II Targaryen. Daughter Helaena followed in 109 AC and son Aemond in 110 AC. The youngest child of Viserys and Alicent, Daeron the Daring, was born in 115 AC.

Rhaenys, the Queen who Never Was, had two children of her own. Married to Corlys Velaryon, Rhaenys had a son named Laenor and a daughter named Laena. Laenor was married to Rhaenyra, Viserys I's daughter, and Laena was married to Daemon, Viserys I's brother. Laena was older than Laenor by one year.

Laena was 12 years old in either late 105AC or early 106AC, and 22 in 115AC and 27 in 120AC. This places Laena's birth in 93AC.

Laenor, one year older, was 19 years old in 113AC, placing his birth in 94AC.

Laena and Laenor both died in 120AC, in the first few months.

The first child of Rhaenyra and Daemon, Aegon the Younger, was born in 120AC. The second child of Rhaenyra and Daemon, Viserys II, was born in 122 AC, and their daughter, Visenya, in 129 AC, shortly after the 10rd day of the 3rd moon, though the exact date is unknown. Visenya was stillborn, so 129 AC is immediately her year of death.

Rhaenyra's sons participated in the civil war called the Dance of the Dragons. Lucerys died first, in 129 AC, followed by Jacaerys, in the first month of 130 AC. Joffrey died later on in the year, towards the end of 130 AC. Rhaenyra herself died in 130 AC, on the 22nd day of the 10th moon.

Rhaenyra's half-siblings Aegon and Helaena got married as well, and had three children together: twins Jaehaerys and Jaehaera, born in 123 AC, and son Maelor, born in 127 AC. Jaehaerys died in 129 AC. Maelor died at an unknown point in the Dance of the Dragons, at some point between the third months of 129 AC and the first half of 131 AC.

Rhaenyra's half-siblings themselves also died during the war. Off all of them, Aemond died first, together with Daemon, on the 22nd day of the 5th moon of 130 AC. Helaena died around the same time in KL, also in 130 AC. Daeron died later, also in 130 AC. Aegon II died sometime alter, about halfway through 131 AC.

Aegon III (Aegon the Younger), married Jaehaera Targaryen, the only daughter and only surviving child after the Dance of Aegon II and Helaena. They have not been reported to have had any children. Aegon III remarried after Jaehaera died, and had his first son, Daeron, in 143 AC. This means that Daeron's conception happened in 142 AC, and that Aegon III married his second bride in 142 AC the latest. This means that Jaehaera died in 142 AC or before, so sometime between 131 AC and 142 AC.

Aegon's second son, Baelor I, would have been born in 144 AC, seeing as how Daeron was born in 143 AC, and Daena, Aegon's daughter, born after Baelor, in 145 AC. Aegon's other daughters, Rhaena and Elaena, were born in 147 AC and 150 AC respectively. Daeron I lived from 143 AC until 161 AC, and died at the age of 18. He was married, and his wife bore him two still born sons.

After Daeron I, his brother Baelor I "the Blessed" became king. Baelor I was born in 144 AC (some sources I came across placed Baelors birth in 143 AC, the same year as Daeron, which could be possible if Daeron was born in the first week or two in 143 AC, and Baelor in the last two weeks or so; IIRC, this came from the wiki, without a source, so 144 AC for Baelor's year of birth seems more logical; nowhere was it mentioned that Daeron and Baelor were twins). Baelor eventually died in 171 AC.

Baelor and Daeron had three sisters, Daena, Rhaena and Elaena. About Elaena we know the most, age-wise. Elaena was born in 150 AC. Men told her that she looked more beautiful at age 70 that at age 17 (SSM). People don't say this to or about someone when that person isn't at least 70, so Elaena lived at least until the age of 70, making her death 220 AC or later. She lived much longer than her sister Daena (born in 145 CL), but nowhere is it stated how much longer. About Rhaena's death, or age, isn't spoken at all. Elaena had seven children: two bastards with her cousin Alyn Velaryon (Jon and Jeyne Waters) and five children (unknown if they were boys or girls) spread out over three marriages (two on behest of the king, one for love). Since women can't get children after they turn about 50 (menopauze), and Elaena got out of the Maidenvault only when her brother Baelor died, Elaena thus had seven children between 172 AC (aged 22) and 200 AC (aged 50).

Seeing as how old Alyn Velaryon, Elaena's lover was, at the time that Elaena came out of the Maidenvault, it is safe to assume Jon and Jeyne Waters were her first two children. Alyn was born in 116 AC, and was 56 in 172 AC when Baelor died and Elaena was freed.
Viserys II also married, and had at least three children: Aegon IV, Naerys and Aemon the Dragonknight. Aemon is our guide here, for he was 17 when he joined the Kingsguard, and the first king he served was his cousin Daeron I. Daeron I was king from 157 AC until 161 AC, so Aemon has joined the kingsguard between those four years, meaning he was born between 140 and 144. Aemon was the younger son. I couldn't find a reference to whether or not Aemon fought in the Conquest of Dorne, but if he did, he was 17 in 157 AC, and thus born in 140 AC. Saddely, we don't know whether or not Aemon took part in the Conquest of Dorne (though I might have missed something, please tell me if I did). We do know that at the time of Daeron's death, Aemon was a captive in Dorne, since Baelor walked the Boneway Pass barefoot to free his cousin.

For the years of birth of Aegon the Unworthy and Queen Naerys, we have to look at their brother Aemon. Aemon was present at the wedding of Aegon and Naerys, and he cried. He is said to have cried because he was in love with Naerys, and was saddened about her marriage to their brother. Also, with Daeron, the eldest child of Aegon and Naerys, having been rumoured to have been fathered by Aemon, Aemon must have been of the right age around Daeron´s birth. Sofor the rumours about the birth of Daeron II to have any ground (Aemon couldn't possibly have fathered Daeron when he was 2 or 3 years old, so no one would have believed it then), Aemon has to be around the age of his brother and sister.
So we know that Aemon has been born between 140 AC and 144 AC, making it impossible for Daeron II to have been in his forties when he became king (which is how some people have taken a certain SSM about Targaryen King descriptions to mean). If we give Daeron as many years as we can possibly give him, Aemon was born in 140 AC, so Aegon must have been born before 140 AC. It has not been stated wheter Naerys was younger than Aemon or not.

So, to sum up for now for this generation, King Viserys II was born in 122 AC. At the end of the Dance, he was 9 years old. After surviving a civil war, killing most of the Targaryens that had been alive before that war, it would have made sense for the two brothers to try and have children as soon as possible. Aegon the Dragonbane's first marriage was childless, but Viserys, who married an unknown woman, had three children, one who was born no earlier than 140 AC, when Viserys was 18 years old. Because Aemon has to be around an age to be believable for being Daeron II's father, he must have been 14 years or older when Aegon and Naerys married and conceived (making their marriage around 154 AC). Girls can get pregnant when they are 13 at average, so Naerys must have been at least 13 years old in 154 AC, whereas Aegon IV was older than Aemon, so at least 15 (making his birth year 139 AC or sooner). However, if Naerys would have been older than Aemon, the love-thing might have been more believable, so Aemon would have been 14, Naerys 15 and Aegon IV 16 in 154 AC, placing their respective birth years in 140 AC, 139 AC and 138 AC.

Aegon IV, we know, died in 184AC, when his son Daeron ascended to the throne. Aemon the Dragonknight died during the reign of Aegon, so in or between 172AC and 184AC, defending Aegon from the brothers of the Kingsguard knight who had been executed.

Naerys lived at least until the birth of Daenerys, who was born in 170AC the earliest. The official app tells us that Naerys did not live long after her brother Aemon died. Further specification cannot be given.

This would mean that Viserys II was 16 years old at the time of the birth of his eldest son, and 15 when he got married, in 137 AC at the latest. If Viserys' children were indeed born in the years I assumed, Daeron can't have been born before 155 AC (or very late in 154 AC). Also, with Daeron's eldest son having been born in either 169AC or 170AC, Daeron would have had the minimum age of 14, meaning that he cannot have been born after 156AC. Having been born in late 154 AC would mean Daeron II was 30 years old in 184 AC, when he ascended the throne. Though I read a remark from someone on the forum once that GRRM in his descriptions had given a description of Daeron while he was king, but not necessarily at the beginning of his reign. The quote saying Daeron was in his forties when he came into his throne I can't seem to find anymore (it used to be stated like this on the wiki). Since info from the SSM's can be removed if it turns out to be outdated or wrong, perhaps that is what happened. Or I just can't find the source for it anymore. :)

Daeron's sister Daenerys is the next one. We know that Daenerys was born long after Daeron. When Daenerys was born, Daeron had a son himself already. It is stated Daeron already had a son of himself, and not sons, so since Baelor Breakspear (Daeron's 1th son) was born in 170 AC, and Aerys I (Daeron's second son) was born in 171 AC or 172 AC, Daenerys must have been born in between Baelor and Aerys. So she was born in 170 AC or 171 AC.

Now we jump back. Remember Aegon III? He had three daughters, the Maidens in the Tower. Daena the Defiant was the eldest, born in 145 AC. She was married to her brother Baelor the Blessed, who was born in 144 AC and died in 171 AC. During their marriage, Daena slept with her cousin Aegon IV (father to Daeron II and Daenerys) and she got pregnant (the child couldn't possibly have been Baelors, since Baelor never consumated their marriage). The child was born in 169 and named Daemon (later Daemon Blackfyre). If Daenerys was indeed born in 170/171, she was around the same age as Daemon, giving them more chance to fall in love.

Aegon IV didn't have just one bastard born child, though. There were several, though only of the Great Bastards there are numbers known. Aegor Rivers, known as Bittersteel, was born in 171 AC by Aegon's 5th mistress (cousin Daena the Defiant doesn't count as a mistress). He died at an unknown time in Essos. Brynden Rivers, better known as Bloodraven, was born at 174 AC by Aegon's 6th mistress. Aegon also had a daughter with his fourth mistress, Bellegere Otherys, who moved with her daughter to Braavos. This girl thus was born before 171 AC. Aegon had another daughter with his last mistress. The girl was named Shiera Seastar. The date of her birth is unknown. Shiera's mother is listed last, putting her year of birth roughly between 174 AC and 184 AC.

Bittersteel is known to have been alive in 236AC (as told in the ConCarolinas Westerland reading), which would put his age at 64. It is unknown how long after 236AC he died.

Bloodraven is still alive in the present (as he appears Beyond the Wall in a Dance with Dragons).

Daeron II and his Dornish Queen, Myriah Martell, had four sons, Baelor Breakspear (170 - 209), Aerys I, Rhaegel , and Maekar. They also had at least one daughter, Aelinor, who was married to Aerys. Because Baelor, as the eldest son, was still in perfect health up until an hour or so before he died, it would have made no sense for Daeron and Myriah no marry their only daughter to their second son, since it was tradition to marry brother to sister to keep the line pure. It is very much possible that they had another daughter, who was married to Baelor, possibly also explaining that Baelor (who looked like his dornish mother) had two sons who had more of the Valyrian looks of the Targaryens of old then their father did (though it is also possible that their Valarian traits came from Baelor himself, because Maekar, looking like a Targaryen, had a son who did not share the Valyrian traits, though Maekar himself did not look dornish).

The bastard-born Daemon Blackfyre rebelled against his brother Daeron II, and died at the Redfield Grass in 195 AC. At that point, he had seven sons (twins Aegon and Aemon, born in 183 AC; Daemon, born in 188 AC; Haegon, born in 189 AC or later and three other, younger sons, and at least two daughters, since Bloodraven mentions sisters
in The Mystery Knight implying there are at least two daughters). Both Aegon and Aemon Blackfyre died with their father in 195 AC at the Redfield Grass, at the age of 12.

Baelor Breakspear died in the tourney at Ashford in 209 AC, and his two sons, Prince Valarr and Prince Matarys, followed him into the grave not long after, during the Great Spring Sickness, in 209 AC. Prince Valarr had been married at the time, but his wife had given him two stillborn sons. Valarr's armor fitted Baelor, so we can asume he was an adult by this time, making him at least 18 years old or so. Since Baelor was born in 170 AC, and Valarr already had been through two pregnancies, Valarr must have been born between  192 AC (making him 17 at the tourney at Ashford, and since no one mentioned at the tourney that he was such a great jouster for his age, like was said about Jaime Lannister or Ser Loras, he most likely wasn't any younger than this) and 188 AC (which would have made him 21 at the tourney). The year 190 AC is the middle ground for this, which would have made him 19 years old at the tourney, old enough for a marriage and two pregnancies. Matarys was born at least a year after this, so 190 AC or later. Daeron II also died in the Great Spring Sickness, hours after his grandsons, in 209 AC.
So Aerys I became king in 209 AC, and Princess Aelinor (of whom we have absolutely no hints of her age) became Queen Aelinor. However, Aerys shunned her bed, and so no future kings and queens were born from their marriage.

After Aerys died in 221 AC, his brother Maekar became king. This means Prince Rhaegel never became king, since he was older than Maekar. Lord Commander Jeor Mormont tells Jon Snow in A Clash of Kings that "[Maester] Aemon took his vows and left the Citadel to serve at some lordling's court... until his royal uncle died without issue. The Iron Throne passed to the last of King Daeron's four sons. That was Maekar, Aemon's father."
This shows us that when King Aerys I died, Maekar was the only brother he had left. So Prince Rhaegel, who was born either in 172 AC or 173 AC, had died before 221 AC.

So the year was 221 AC and Maekar Targaryen was still alive. Prince Rhaegel had twin sons, but they aren't mentioned anywhere, so at that point they were probably death as well. Or simply not considered for the throne, because of Rhaegels mental condition.

Maekar had four sons and at least two daughters. There was Daeron Targaryen, who was 18 in 209 AC and was thus born in 191 AC, and Aerion Brightflame, both of whom had a legal child (so were probably married). Of Aerion, no hints of his age has been given, but he partitipated in the tourney at Ashford in 209 AC, and he was at least a year younger than Daeron. However, Aerion participated in the tourney, and this is, according to Jaime's POV, allowed from the age of 15, once knighted IIRC. That would make Aerion no younger than 15 in 209 AC, and no older than 17. This means he was most likely born between 192 AC, and 194 AC. Next came Aemon Targaryen (who we all know as Maester Aemon), who was born in 198 AC. This means Aerion was born absolutely no later than 197 AC (but being born in 197 AC would mean he was 12 years old in 209 AC, and we know this cannot have been the case). After Aemon came Aegon V, born in 200 AC. About the two girls, Daella and Rhae, nothing else is known, age-wise. Since Daella and Aegon seem to have been betrothed at some point, it is safe to assume Daella was closest to Aegon in age. Aemon dies in 300 AC, at the age of 102.

The age of Daeron can give us an idea about Maekar's age. As seen before, Targaryens can marry as early as the age of 13, making the earliest age of the father during the birth of the first child 14. Daeron was born in 191 AC, so Maekar would have been at least 14 in that year. That would put Maekar's year of birth no later than 177 AC.

With Baelor born in 170 AC, and with two brothers in between Baelor and Maekar, Maekar cannot have been born before 173 AC. This means that Maekar was born in or between 173 AC and 177 AC.

This also means that Aerys (second born son of Daeron II), cannot have been born earlier than 171 AC, and no later than 175 AC.

Rhaegel, in that case, cannot have been born earlier than 172 AC, and no later than 176 AC.

Prince Daeron dies in an unknown year before 233 AC, leaving a feeble-witted daughter behind. Aerion Brightflame dies in 231 AC, after drinking a cup of wildfire, thinking it would transform him into an actual dragon. Maekar died in 232 AC, fighting against a rebelling lord. (both dates of Maekars death and Aerions death have been confirmed in the ConCarolinas reading) Aemon refused the crown. This made Aegon V king.

Aegon V was married for love and had three sons, and at least one daughter. Marrying for love probably means that neither Aegon nor his sons married at a very early age (for Aegon that would have been either less likely, for he was squiring for Ser Duncal the Tall since the age of 10 and he seemed to be enjoying it way too much to just stop after four years to marry).

So we're assuming that Aegon married at a later age than most Targaryens (though he probably got married before Maekar became king, because Maekar doesn't seem like the type of guy who would allow his son to marry for love just like that). Marrying at a later age, means that the children were born at a later age as well. And if those children married for love, they got married at a later age than 14 as well.

So we fastforward to the years we do know, and try to count back. Aerys II (The Mad King) was born in 243 AC. His first son, Rhaegar, was born in 259 AC, on the same day that King Aegon V and his eldest son Prince Duncan died at Summerhall. With Rhaegar's birth in 259 AC, Aerys II must have married his sister Rhaella in 158 AC or before. The father of Aerys and Rhaella was Jaehaerys, the second son of Aegon V. Jaehaerys II died in 262 AC, after having ruled for three years. He is described as having died young. At the time of his death, his son was 19 years old. Jaehaerys is stated to have been 39 years old at the time of his death, placing his year of birth in 223 AC. He was 20 years old when Aerys was born.
So Duncan the Small would have been born in 222 AC or before, and the unknown third son of Aegon V in 224 AC or later. Duncan perished with his father at Summerhall in 259 AC
The women in this family are mostly a big question mark, so daughter Rhaelle is absolutey the same here. Nothing is known about her, except that she was married to a Baratheon Lord (making her the grandmother of Robert, Stannis and Renly Baratheon).

So Jaehaerys was probably born around 223 AC, and he died in 262 AC. About his brothers and sister we don't know anything. We also don't know when Jaehaerys' daughter Rhaella was born, but we know she died in 284 AC at Dragonstone, because of complications at the birth of her third child.

Rhaella had had a short relationship with a knight names ser Bonifer Hasty before her wedding to Aerys. Since her first son was born in 259 AC, when Aerys was 16 years old (born in 243 AC), Rhaella must have been married at the very last in 258 AC (making Aerys 15). Because it makes more sense that Rhaella was a bit older to have a true relationship (and it must have been a truly emotional one, for ser Bonifer touched no other woman since Rhaella died and spend the duration of his life serving the Faith), Rhaella was probably one or two years older than Aerys. This would also make sense concerning her death, for she would have been around 43 years old in 284 AC, when she died, and pregnancies at such an age are known to cause problems for both mother and child, even in this day and age.
So Rhaella was born in 241 AC, or something very close to that. She died in 284 AC, at Dragonstone, due to complications of childbirth.
Aerys, we know, was 19 years old when he ascended the throne, placing his birth in 243 AC. He died during the Sack of Kings Landing, murdered in front of his throne by Jaime Lannister, in 283 AC. Rhaegar, the eldest son of Aerys and Rhaella, who was born in 259 AC, also died in 283 AC, two weeks before his father. Rhaegars daughter Rhaenys was 3 years old during the Sack, placing her year of birth in 280 AC. Aegon, Rhaegars son, was born in 282AC, and he died, (possibly), in 283 AC, during the Sack as well. Aegon has been stated to have been 12 to 14 months old at the time of his death.

The other son of Aerys and Rhaella, Viserys III, was born in 275 AC (as he is known to have been 8 years old in 283AC), and died in 298 AC, at Vaes Dothrak, when a pot of molted gold was poured over his head. Daenerys, Aerys' only daughter, and living child, was born in 284 AC at Dragonstone, nine months after Rhaegar had died on the Trident, and continues to live in 300 AC.

Edit: GRRM has said in a SSM that he had thought of how old each Targ would have to be during certain events, but not if it would all add up. This could explain the difference in age of Daeron II that I have calculated, compared to the hints we had on his age from an early SSM.

To summarize:

Aegon I Targaryen: born in 27 BC, died in 37 AC

Visenya Targaryen: born in 29 or 28 BC, died after 42 AC, precise year of death unknown

Rhaenys Targaryen: born in 25 or 26 BC, died in 10AC (LonCon 2014)

Aenys Targaryen: born in 7 AC, died in 42 AC

Maegor I Targaryen: born in 12 AC, died in 48 AC

Rhaena Targaryen: born in 23AC, died during or after Maegor's reign, precise year of death unknown

Aegon Targaryen (son of Aenys): born in 26AC, died in between 42AC and 48AC

Viserys Targaryen: born in 29AC, died in between 42AC and 48AC

Jaehaerys I Targaryen: born in 34 AC, died in 103 AC

Alysanne Targaryen: born in 36AC, died a few years before 103 AC

Vhaella: born in 39AC, died in 39AC

Aemon Targaryen: born between 49AC and 61AC, died in 92 AC

Saera Targaryen: born in or after 49AC, date of death unknown

Daella Targaryen, born in or between 49AC and 67AC, died in 82AC

Aemma Arryn: born in or between 52AC and 80AC, died in 82AC
Baelon Targaryen: born between 50AC and 64 AC, died in 101 AC
Viserys I Targaryen: born in 77AC, died in 129 AC, on the 3rd day of the 3rd moon
Daemon Targaryen: born in 81 AC, died in 130 AC, on the 22nd day of the 5th moon
Rhaenys Targaryen The Queen who Never Was: born in 74 AC, died in 129 AC
Rhaenyra Targaryen: born in 97 AC, died in 130 AC, on the 22nd day of the 10th moon
Rhaenyra's older full-blood sibling, unnamed: born and died in or between 91AC and 96AC

Baelon Targaryen (son of Viserys I): born and died in 105AC.
Aegon II Targaryen: born in 107 AC, died in 131 AC, in the first half of the year
Helaena Targaryen: born in 109 AC, died in 130 AC, at the end of the 5th moon, beginning of the 6th moon
Aemond  One-eye Targaryen: born in 110 AC, died in 130 AC, on the 22nd day of the 5th moon
Daeron the Daring Targaryen: born in 115 AC, died in 130 AC.
Laenor Velaryon: born in 94AC, died in 120AC
Laena Velaryon: born in 93AC, died in 120AC
Jacaerys Velaryon: born in 114 AC, died in 130 AC, sometime in the first month
Lucerys Velaryon: born in 115 AC, died in 129 AC
Joffrey Velaryon: born in 117 AC, died in 130 AC
Rhaena Targaryen: born in 116 AC, year of death unknown
Baela Targaryen: born in 116 AC, year of death unknown
Aegon the Younger III Targaryen: born in 120 AC, died in 157 AC
Viserys II Targaryen: born in 122 AC, died in 172 AC
Visenya Targaryen: born in 129 AC, died in 129 AC, shortly after the 10th day of the 3rd moon
Jaehaerys Targaryen: born in 123 AC, died in 129 AC
Jaehaera Targaryen: born in 123 AC, died between 131 AC and 142 AC
Maelor Targaryen: born in 127 AC, died between 129 AC and 131 AC
Daeron I Targaryen: born in 143 AC, died in 161 AC
Baelor I Targaryen: born in 144 AC, died in 172 AC
Daena the Defiant Targaryen:  born in 145 AC, year of death unknown
Rhaena Targaryen: born in 147 AC, year of death unknown
Elaena Targaryen, born in 150 AC, died after 220 AC
Jon Waters: born after 172 AC, year of death unknown
Jeyne Waters: born after 172 AC, year of death unknown
Aegon IV Targaryen:  born in 138 AC, died in 184 AC
Naerys Targaryen: born in 139 AC, died after 170/171 AC, not long after Aemon the Dragonknight
Aemon the Dragonknight Targaryen: born in 140 AC, died in or between 172AC and 184 AC, not long before Queen Naerys
Daeron II Targaryen: born in 154/155/156 AC, died in 209 AC
Daenerys Targaryen: born in 170/171 AC, year of death unknown
Daemon Blackfyre: born in 169 AC, died in 195 AC
Aegon Blackfyre: born in 183 AC, died in 195 AC
Aemon Blackfyre: born in 183 AC, died in 195 AC
Daemon II Blackfyre: born in 188 AC, year of death unknown
Haegon Blackfyre: born in 189 AC or after, year of death unknown
Aegor Bittersteel Rivers: born in 171 AC, died after 236 AC
Brynden Bloodraven Rivers: born in 174 AC, still alive in 300 AC
Bellegere Otherys: born before 171 AC, year of death unknown
Shiera Seastar: born between 174 AC and 184 AC, year of death unknown, probably after 210 AC
Baelor Breakspear Targaryen: born in 170 AC, died in 209 AC
Valarr Targaryen: born between 188 and 192 AC, died in 209 AC
Matarys Targaryen: born no earlier than 189 AC, probably later (dependent on Valarr), died in 209 AC
Aerys I Targaryen: born in or between 171 AC and 175 AC, died in 221 AC
Rhaegel Targaryen: born in or between 172 AC and 176 AC, died before 221 AC

Rhaegel's unnamed twins: born in or after 186 AC, died before 221 AC
Maekar Targaryen: born in or between 173 AC and 177 AC, died in 232 AC
Daeron The Drunken Targaryen: born in 191 AC, died before 223 AC
Aerion Brightflame Targaryen: born between 192 AC and 194 AC, died in 231 AC
Aemon Targaryen: born in 198 AC, died in 300 AC
Aegon V Targaryen: born in 200 AC, died in 259 AC
Duncan Targaryen: born in 222 AC or before, died in 259 AC
Jaehaerys II Targaryen: born in 223 AC, died in 262 AC
Unknown third son of Aegon V: born in 224 AC or after, year of death unknown
Aerys Targaryen: 243 AC, died in 283 AC
Rhaella Targaryen: born in 241 AC, died in 284 AC
Rhaegar Targaryen: born in 259 AC, died in 283 AC
Viserys Targaryen: born in 275 AC, died in 298 AC
Daenerys Targaryen: born in 284 AC, still alive in 300 AC
Rhaenys Targaryen: born in 280 AC, died in 283 AC
Aegon Targaryen: born in 282 AC, possibly died in 283 AC, possibly still alive in 300 AC

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen, 12 September 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#2 SanderOfTheFaith

SanderOfTheFaith

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Have you taken a look at this? I don't know if it is correct, but it might be of some help.

http://awoiaf.wester...Family_tree.jpg

#3 Rhaenys_Targaryen

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Council Member

• Members
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Yes, I've seen that family tree before. It was especially useful when I tried to figure out when Aegon the Unworthy, Queen Naerys, Aemon the Dragonknight and Daeron the Good were born, because that's one difficult generation! I'll waste no more words on trying to tell you that, I'll simply post the second part of my theory, which is coincidentally about them as well!

Edit: Added the theory part to the OP, to make everything easier to find.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen, 08 January 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#4 Aslerys

Aslerys

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Wow, impressive work Rhaenys! Thanks for the tip ;) But I guess you made a typo on Rhaella's birth date it says 281 when it should be 241, right?

#5 Rhaenys_Targaryen

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Council Member

• Members
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

Wow, impressive work Rhaenys! Thanks for the tip ;) But I guess you made a typo on Rhaella's birth date it says 281 when it should be 241, right?

Omg, yes, that's a typo! Thank's for pointing that one out!

#6 Rhaenys_Targaryen

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Council Member

• Members
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

So, finally updated with the information from The Princess and the Queen. Long overdue, but I finally found the time to do it! And it has a bonus: it's more accurate now! :D

#7 Mr Bell

Mr Bell

Yeezus Walks

• Members
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

I cant believe more people haven't commented on this, it's amazing.

Great job :bowdown:

Edited by Mr Bell, 09 January 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#8 Maester Pedant

Maester Pedant

Council Member

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

This is really impressive. Well done!

#9 Mr Bell

Mr Bell

Yeezus Walks

• Members
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

I realize we know nothing about Rhaelle Targaryen (Steffon's mother), but if I had to conjure a guess, I'd say that she was dead or out of the picture sometime during Robert and Stannis' early childhood, and almost surely dead by the time Steffon died. Reason being she's never mentioned by any of the Baratheon brothers, which might indicate they didn't know her well or at all.

#10 dotheknifefight

dotheknifefight

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

Wow, great. I've been thinking about earliest and latest possible birth dates for individual characters but never thought about making a list of it.

#11 Stoned Dragon

Stoned Dragon

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

Wow, this is fantastic. Good job.

#12 Rhaenys_Targaryen

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Council Member

• Members
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

I realize we know nothing about Rhaelle Targaryen (Steffon's mother), but if I had to conjure a guess, I'd say that she was dead or out of the picture sometime during Robert and Stannis' early childhood, and almost surely dead by the time Steffon died. Reason being she's never mentioned by any of the Baratheon brothers, which might indicate they didn't know her well or at all.

You might be right there. Stannis for example does once speak of his grandfathers brother, IIRC, but not about his own grandmother. She might not have lived that long after Stannis and Robert were born.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen, 10 January 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#13 The Dragon Queen

The Dragon Queen

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

GREAT JOB! amazing! thanks

#14 Stannis Eats No Peaches

Stannis Eats No Peaches

Compulsive Editor

• Members
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Holy crap... :eek: :bowdown:

#15 Lyse Stark

Lyse Stark

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

And if R+L=J is confirmed, then Jon would have been born in 283 AL, at around the time of the Sack, and brought to Winterfell shortly afterwards.

Edited by Lyse Stark, 24 January 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#16 Rhaenys_Targaryen

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Council Member

• Members
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

And if R+L=J is confirmed, then Jon would have been born in 283 AL, at around the time of the Sack, and brought to Winterfell shortly afterwards.

Jon would have been born in 283 AC around the time of the Sack, or the month thereafter. Though I prefer not to put him in the list until the theory is confirmed. There could be further things revealed, like an official name and all such.

#17 History of Westeros

History of Westeros

Blooded Historian

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Excellent work!  I missed this somehow.

#18 KCenturion

KCenturion

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Fantastic work as always, Rhaenys!

#19 Aslerys

Aslerys

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

I notice that it says that prince Duncan's year of death is unknown but didn't he died with his father in Summerhall?

#20 Sylva Santagar

Sylva Santagar

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

I have just read it... amazing!!!! :thumbsup: