A little bit different take on Varys, Illyrio and Aegons

I have always liked Varys more than Illyrio and thought he was smarter, more skilled, has more good in him, more on top of the other....

This may have clouded me a bit. Varys probably is all that but Illyrio has a big play hidden from him.

What if Varys indeed saved Aegon and sent him to Illyrio but Illyrio killed him and switched him for his son?

In this scenario Serra is a Blackfyre descendant but non Varys' sister.

Varys has been a good servant to Aerys (all his whispers were true but how the king went mad and acted on the information was another thing). He is now a big Targ restorationer and thinks his friend Illyrio is helping him for some riches and the joy of powerplay.

Illyrio is a Blackfyre restorationer. A lot of his black dragon inclined dealings are unknown to Varys.

It explains our feeling that V and I are playing each other as well. It explains a lot of Varys' words, like singular talk and Kevan's death.

I think Varys is more awesome as a Blackfyre and not being played by an elefant and but i just wanted to make something new

I am not convinced that Varys is or ever was a loyal supporter of the Targaryens when he was responsible for increasing or possibly even creating Aerys' distrust of his son Rhaegar, and of the lords.

He did not cause every step of the war, but he contributed to setting the foundations for the escalations which saw the prince die in battle, the king and the prince's children die in the sack of KL, and the queen and her son die in exile, leaving one confirmed Targaryen alive as of now.

I also wonder if Aerys realized or suspected Varys toward the end when he listened to Pycelle rather than Varys, when up to that point Varys seems to have been one of if not the only person he "trusted" to whatever extent.

It was Rhaegar that returned north after the Battle of the Bells and originally persuaded his father to send for Tywin. No raven returned, Aerys placed wild fire all over KL, and Rhaegar died at the Battle of the Trident.

Yet when Tywin does arrive at KL Aerys is convinced by Pycelle that he is there to help him, advice which seems to go along with whatever his now deceased son persuaded him before the Battle of the Trident. For some reason he listens to advice which goes along with what his dead son persuaded him of, rather than the advice of the man that incited his distrust of his son in the first place.

What was Varys trying to do? Did he want Rhaegar on the throne? Is inciting Aerys against Rhaegar really the best plan he could come up with to get Rhaegar on the throne?

Not saying it can't be argued, but it seems too dependent on assuming a chain of reactions that could have gone any number of ways at each point would go perfectly and result in his desired results.

All that said, I don't think that Varys necessarily need be a loyal Targaryen supporter to have somehow saved Aegon. He could still have any number of motives for having done so if that is indeed what happened. Varys is a character, many characters, but we don't know the man behind it.

I would not be surprised to learn of serious divergences between Varys and Illyrio on what they have discussed and planned and what each plans and does individually.

But considering that Varys seems to have been involved in planning with the Golden Company, it would surprise me for him to be caught off guard if there is any Blackfyre angle to YG or Illyrio or whoever.

if illyrio killed aegon and replaced him with his son don't you think that varys would become suspicous and with his spies he could probably discover the truth

If done well, no.

But Varys may have known Illyrio had a son. If he did, he would have to be told Aegon was not the one who died.

But this theory of mine is more about Illyrio being a Blackfyre supporter while Varys not.

It does not depend strictly on Illyrio being fAegon's father. I do not like that anyway.

I think Illyrio could be a son of one of the Ninepenny kings who lost everything.

I do not yet have a definite theory on how Illyrio delt with Aegons nor in what relation exactly is fAegon to Illyrio.

The base of this theory is that Varys truly saved Rhaegar's Aegon (because of either pity, being very pro-Targ or pro PtwP prophercy and he is really into making him a goid king) but Aegon we know is a Blackfyre from the female line and Illyrio made a move on Varys there somehow.

I do not have the details fully worked out. Perhaps someone who read the books more times can help me expand.

Archived