rank the most/least interesting major settings

space

obviously there is a lot of movement and change as the story evolves and characters go from one place ot another, but of the major settings/regions i definitely have a clear order of what I enjoy reading about the most...so lets put them out and rank them (overall) in terms of the storylines located within that you find the most interesting

the wall / north of the wall

winterfell/ the north

kings landing

riverlands/harrenhall

essos(slave cities)

free cities/ dothraki adventures

dorne

iron islands

the vale

for me it gets shady after that...but my #1 is very clear

1. kings landing...everything about it...all the time...cant think of a downside from the ned to cerseis madness...its what makes this series great

2. tied. slavers bay (specially now...acok makes up for the for the obviously down beginning/middle of adwd but it really picked up at the end, and love where this is going now)

2 tied the north/winterfell...hated the bran parts, but theon/ramsay/roose, stannis, and davos/lord toofattositonahorse more than made up for it

4. the vale (loved the tyrion imprisonment in the beginning, and the littlefinger/sansa storyline is getting better and better by the chapter...only downside are the pages in the sansa chapters where shes playing house that dont involve littlefinger)

drop off here for sure

5. the wall/north of the wall...good, but not my favorite by any means, a little too much fantasy, and not as much intrigue as the places listed above

6. dorne...there are some obvious downparts, but i love the characters for the most part and see a lot of potential here, big arienne fan

7.riverlands very polarizing and this would be a clear cut dead last if not for the red wedding, the bear pit, and arya's interaction with her new faceless friend

8. free cities...i love arya but some of her training is a little tedious, and the sam stopoff did little or nothing for me...the illyrio stop for tyrion was a bit slow too...i was just dying for him to get out of there and see what happenes next!

9. iron islands...euron is the only real saving grace here, not a terrible read at all, but not my favorite

edit: forgot the stormlands, but they are relatively minor compared to many of these places...obviously that can change in twow

1. King's Landing(I think that with the exception of Jon and Dany, all the major POV characters have been there, at least once. An awful place but always interesting)
  2. Winterfell/The North(I loved they way Winterfell was described in GOT and ever since the most interesting events are taking place in the North("Arya's" wedding for example) )
  3. The Wall/Beyond the Wall(Jon Snow is there :cool4:, so is Sam, Mance and Stannis(for a while) )
  4. Riverlands(Harrenhal. Nuff said. The most notorious castle in Westeros is the place where Arya convinced Jaqen to help the Northmen and where Jaime and Brienne shared a bath :leer: )
  5. Vale(Sky cells, Bronn fighting for Tyrion(and his golden dragons), Sansa and Alayne)
  6. Slaver's Bay(I think that I am the only person who actually enjoyed reading about the Mereenese Knot)
  7. Iron Islands(If it wasn't for Asha and the Reader, then I wouldn't care about the place, at all. Ten Towers seems to be a rather interesting place.)
  8. Free cities/Dothraki(I find Arya's chapters in Braavos to be boring, Tyrion's time in Volantis was slightly less boring. I love reading about the Dothraki Sea though. )
  9. Dorne(Apart from the TOJ, nothing that has happened in Dorne was interesting)

1- King's Landing: The "game of Thrones" is the part I enjoy more of the books, as show Robert may say "backstabbing and scheming and ass-licking and money-grubbing"

2 - The North: Starks, Asha/Theon, Boltons, and now Stannis. The best characters are in the North IMO

3 - The Vale : Alayne and Littlefinger, enough said

4 - The Wall: I'm not the biggest Jon fan, but I like both the NW and the Wildlings, and I don't hate Melisandre as some people here do

5- Riverlands: I'm torn about this location, I never cared much about Robb or Cat, but I do feel sorry for Edmure (Tully is my least favorite House), Arya's travels there were good, and I'm one of those people who really liked Jaime and Brienne chapters in AFFC,

6- Dorne: Not much really happened there, but I like both Arianne and Doran, hate the sand snakes though

7- Iron Islands: Euron, and that's it. I do like Asha and Theon, but their stories are interesting only after they leave the Islands

8- Free cities/Dothraki: meh

9 - the credit and copyright pages

10- Slaver's bay...

1. Winterfell and the North - the story started here and it is where our favorite characters first meet. Wherever the plot of the story may have gone after, it will surely lead it back here.

2. King's Landing - this is the heart of game of thrones, so yeah.. and the Lannisters are interesting people.

3. The Wall and beyond - magic stuffs happen here and the unexplored lands beyond the Wall are quite intriguing.

4. Across the Narrow Sea stuffs - love it, sometimes hate it. Essos will rock the world in WoW so I'm looking forward to it.

5. Riverlands - mainly because Arya is the star of the story and she meets lots of great characters (Jaqen, BWB...)

6. Vale - Littlefinger!

7. Dorne - meh..

8. Iron Islands - ...

1. King's Landing- Varys is there.

2. Winterfell/The North- Especially now, shit's getting crazy.

3. Riverlands- So much stuff happened with Jaime and Arya there.

4. The Wall- Where the real problem is.

5. Essos- Hit or miss but decent.

6. Iron Islands- Euron, Vic and Asha are all pretty entertaining while there.

7. Dorne- Kind of boring but still a huge part to play.

8. The Vale- LF is the only saving grace.

1. King's Landing

2. Dorne

3. Iron Islands

4. Slaver's Bay

5. Free Cities

6. the Vale

7. Riverlands/Harrenhal

8. Winterfell/the North

9. the Wall

25. Beyond the Wall/Dothraki adventures

These preferences reflect my travel interests: I like history and culture, and the wilder and less "civilized" a place is, the less I like it (that's why I have no interest whatsoever in the Grand Canyon, the Serengeti or Amazonia and I'll never visit them).

1. King's Landing: obvious number one for me, never a dull moment.

2. Winterfell and the North: Bran's early chapters were slow, but a lot has happened since Theon took Winterfell. I love it.

3. Wall and north of the Wall: I'm intrigued by Bloodraven, the Others, and the CotF. The Wildlings are cool and I love Jon.

4. Vale:has only been in two books, but I love everything that's happened there and look forward to seeing more of it.

5. Iron Islands: just exciting to read about.

6: Riverlands/Harrenhall: some very exciting moments, i.e. the RW, however some dull chapters bring it down a bit.

7. Free cities/Dothraki adventures: some dull bits, but interesting and enjoyable overall.

8. Dorne: kind of just there, I like the characters, but their most important moments will likely be outside of Dorne.

9. Appendices: some good info in those appendices.

10. The phonebook: they still make these, right?

11. Slaver's Bay: Dany, get the fuck out of there!

Archived