I cant believe why daenerys is view like a god......by some readers

raegal_targaryen

From what I see in the forums, many peoples' "godlike" view of Dany comes in response to other peoples' complete vitriol of her. I find both sides (uber-Dany fans vs. anti-Dany readers) pretty wrapped up in polarity.

I've read some great analyses of Dany that don't include those common "godlike" tropes, yet still critically engage her character and arc. Personally, I am a Dany fan, but for more simple reasons. I enjoy strong female characters, and even more, I enjoy flawed characters.

Swap 'godlike' with 'messianic' and I think it's an accurate description of how she views herself and behaves.

She pillaged their most valuable property: The Unsullied. (And pretty much everything else that they could carry)

I reject the idea that people are property. There is no way you can steal people. Therefore, you can't pillage a city by freeing people. I don't know that the Unsullied carried much of anything away. I'm not familiar with anything in the text that says they took a lot of property. The freedmen looted some weapons. It's obvious, however, that they remain poor. They don't have much with them.

It appears clear that the slave class constituted the majority of the population of Astapor. They are Astaporians as much as anyone else is. This majority favored Dany. They did not sack themselves.

I reject the idea that people are property. There is no way you can steal people. Therefore, you can't pillage a city by freeing people. I don't know that the Unsullied carried much of anything away. I'm not familiar with anything in the text that says they took a lot of property. The freedmen looted some weapons. It's obvious, however, that they remain poor. They don't have much with them.

It appears clear that the slave class constituted the majority of the population of Astapor. They are Astaporians as much as anyone else is. This majority favored Dany. They did not sack themselves.

:agree:

• 11 months later...

First of all not her entire arc was bad in ADWD. Just the 50 shades of Daario chapters, the return of Drogon and what followed was badass (and the first chapter was pretty good to).Secondly, I can’t speak for everyone of course but personally I enjoyed the ideas and concepts that GRRM tried to get across.The actual writing of those early Dany chapters was subpar for GRRM standards I’ll give you that. But the ideas behind it had a lot of potential. In ADWD Daenerys got punched in the face by reality and that is awesome!You see I’m an avid fantasy reader and one of the things I really hate about the genre is the fact that almost all fantasy heroes are somehow born to rule. They don’t fuck up (or if they do they magically avoid a calamity), they always find the right way to deal with their problems and everybody but the bad guys who eat babies and want to plunge the world into chaos love them.That’s just not how it works in the real world and GRRM does a bang up job in showing that in Dany’s chapters. She had no education and she’s not yet ready to make tough choices in ADWD and therefore her people suffer. That’s realistic to the core.I also liked the fact that ADWD had Dany meeting the borders of her savior complex. That’s yet another fantasy cliché I really hate, you know the hero miraculously saving everyone all by himself without suffering a lot of damage (both physically and ethically). And GRRM just threw that one out of the window. What ADWD has shown to Dany (I think she’ll come around in tWoW) is that she can’t save them all and that she can’t do it alone. She basically prostituted herself to Hizzie to save lives and in the end fuck all changed. I think tWoW Dany will not take up all the burdens herself, she’ll delegate some to her close advisors (like Ser Barry) and she’ll certainly accept that to make an omelet she’ll have to break some eggs. Another idea that came forward and that I really liked is Dany’s trouble with her identity. Throughout ADWD she wasn’t able to determine who or what she was. Is she a young maiden? Or is she a mother? Is she a slave? Or is she a Queen? A destroyer? Or a liberator? Is she a second Viserys? Or is she Rhaegar come again?She struggled with that throughout the entire book and she did not find and easy answer (no magical Mister Myagi or Yoda popping up and telling her everything). In fact she even fled from some of the people who could provide her with part of the answer (Barristan) because she was scared of what they were going to tell her. I always found that pretty realistic. In her situation, with that burden on her shoulders and the baggage she carries with her, I would shit my pants. In fact that’s why I never understood why so many people think she’ll go Aerys II on Westeros. Her concern to me indicates that she’s still a very moral person and moving far away from Aerys II territory.I believe her first chapters in tWoW will be very internal and that they’ll be mainly focused on exactly determining what she is and what she wants.And now we come to the problematic part. There is one idea left that I think could have been very interesting but GRRM totally botched that up in my opinion.Dany’s attraction to Daario. The idea of “un home fatal” (Daario) and the juxtaposition of duty versus personal want could have been phenomenal.Sadly, the character that GRRM created (Daario) was ill suited for his task.Daario, for starters, is way too obvious. The archetype of “Homme fatal” can only work when there is mystery involved, but with Daario there is none. He is what he appears to be (a greedy sellsword) and nothing more.I’m pretty sure that Daario is Dany’s betrayal for gold and that GRRM intended that to be the mystery surrounding the character, but we can see it coming from a mile off.And that’s sad, I mean remember the RW? That was so compelling because most of us saw a major setback for team Stark coming, but none of us had anticipated for such a high amount of carnage (and in such a vile way).The other big problem with Daario is that he’s just too much of a caricature. I mean the guy has blue hair, a golden tooth, a sleazy attitude, a couple of silly blades, an ego the size of the empire state building and almost the first thing he did was kill his brothers-in-arms and change sides. It’s as if Dany fell in love with a circus clown (and a very incompetent one to). The whole romance is so unbelievable. I mean God knows I have my problems with pedo drogo but I think we can all agree that we can realistically see women fall for that kind of guy (See Jason Momoa fan girls for the prove).As a character Daario is a complete fail. He’s obvious, he’s not funny, he’s not badass and the biggest crime of all: he’s annoying (+ boring). He is what makes Dany characters drag. Just go and re-read ADWD, the longer Daario is out of the picture the more interesting Dany’s chapters become. That’s a fact. And Daario is not the only character with that problem, Penny is guilty of a lot of those same crimes. Luckily the show might do a better job here, they cut most of the ridiculousness out of Daario (he’s still campy but it’s acceptable) and I hope they’ll cut Penny out entirely.On top of Daario there is also the train wreck that is Meereen or GRRM’s eastern essos as a whole. His Westeros is brilliant, I’d go so far as to say that it’s the definitive pseudo-medieval English fantasy setting. But the farther east he gets the more he loses touch so to speak. His free cities are passable but Slavers bay and Qarth are horrible settings. Nothing about those cultures feels real (even though some things like the three walls of Qarth are based on actual history). In aCoK and ASOS she avoided the bullet a bit because of her momentum but the moment she started a slower part of her arc in one of those places she was fucked.So a quick summary. Not everything was bad for Dany in ADWD. Her arc contained a lot of interesting ideas but the ridiculous setting and the horrible execution of some of those ideas blew up in her face and created the wide spread Dany hatred.

I agree with most of what you say here. I disagree on your assessment of Daario. I've posted in several threads on his character (will probably link them later because I think the guy is misunderstood). I like your post though, well-thought, reasoned and written.

Well, she is immune to fire and all diseases, has three dragons that can conquer the world and is the savviest politician in ASOIAF... What more do you want?

She isn't immune to fire, she gets burned in a ADWD, GRRM even said when she went into the fire and her dragons hatched it was an isolated, miraculous incident, she can still be burned, also, since when is she immune to all diseases? And I agree that her dragons could help her conquer a lot (maybe not the world) by someone who knows how to use them, and as for the last statement, savviest politician is ASOIAF? So you think she's "savvier" than say, Tywin Lannister, Littlefinger, Jon Arryn, Doran Martell Varys, Tyrion Lannister? What have you been smoking and where can I get some?

Practicing, also known as developing a skill, is about as far from absurd as you can go. Ruling is just a skill like any other, and of course it must be developed through doing. There is no other way.

Why do you presume Dany will carelessly abandon the cities she liberated? There is no basis for that except anti-Danyism. Dany learned a hard lesson after she handed Astapor over to former slaves. She should have a better plan for Mereen.

You see, Dany is quite smart and actually learns from her mistakes and grows. Her story is actually quite interesting in its progression. (You'll just have to get over the fact that Daario got her.).

She's naive, but she's also the **********ing Dragon.

As for slavery, saying the culture and economy of it can't be broken is wrong. History proves it over and again. It takes a very violent upheaval, though, and that is what the Mother of Dragons brings. It is silly and presumptuous to say that Dany can only make things worse. (For the slavers, sure.).

And you also don't consider that the longer the slave culture persists, the more numerous and dangerous the slaves grow. Look Volantis, which is about to blow. That's also the Dany effect.

And blaming Dany for Drogo's Dothraki slaving? Yeah, okay. She is the liberator. Not sure why anyone would dispute that.

How old are you? Sorry to typecast you but it seems pretty obvious you're a child. A Bong of Ice and Fire, so you're clearly a stoner as well. That combination may affect your perception quite a bit.

I completely agree. I feel like many people view her time in SB as very lucky, that things keep going in her favor, but I think that also has to do with the fact that the vast majority of SB is on her side, only the Old Ghiscari Blood are the ones against her.

Obviously the Unsullied are not property, this is not a droid army. They saw their chance when Dany came to Astapor and they took it, Grey Worm admits to wanting to leave, admits to loving the day Dany saved him, even keeping his name from that day. His thoughts and feelings more than anything else show how right Dany is to try and free all slaves in SB, and overthrow the slaving empire.

I completely agree. I feel like many people view her time in SB as very lucky, that things keep going in her favor, but I think that also has to do with the fact that the vast majority of SB is on her side, only the Old Ghiscari Blood are the ones against her.

Obviously the Unsullied are not property, this is not a droid army. They saw their chance when Dany came to Astapor and they took it, Grey Worm admits to wanting to leave, admits to loving the day Dany saved him, even keeping his name from that day. His thoughts and feelings more than anything else show how right Dany is to try and free all slaves in SB, and overthrow the slaving empire.

YES.

I keep saying this but Dany has no support from the 1%-the rest of SB is fairly gung-ho about her being there.

Archived