Jon Arryn's Mother

KingMaekarWasHere

Since I saw the thread on Ned's mom and her mysteriousness, why not talk about Jon's mother, especially when you consider this quote from the wiki detailing little info. On Jasper and his wife.

Jon was born in 225 AL as the son of Lord Jasper Arryn. Not much is known about his youth or his parents. He had a younger brother, Ronnel, and a sister, Alys, who married Elys Waynwood. Jon was Keeper of the Gates of the Moon while his father lived, and after his father's death he named his brother Ronnel and later his cousin Denys to that position.[2]

I believe that Harry descends from Alys, so that is the reason why Harry is the heir to the Vale. Ronnel's son was killed I believe during Robert's Rebellion, or maybe it was actually before cause Aerys had him killed. (along with Brandon Stark and Ned's father of course. Which is a different topic for another time perhaps.) But still we have no info on Jon's mother just like we have no info on Ned's. This is mysterious in at least a few ways when you consider that we knew Jaime's, Robert and Stannis', and even Catelyn's mother's names since at least the first three-four books. Who do you guys out there think she was? Could she have even been a Lannister as some people think, especially when you consider as to the reason why Tywin wanted to foster little Robin at the Rock. Any opinion is fine, feel free to share thoughts.

Since I saw the thread on Ned's mom and her mysteriousness, why not talk about Jon's mother, especially when you consider this quote from the wiki detailing little info. On Jasper and his wife.

Jon was born in 225 AL as the son of Lord Jasper Arryn. Not much is known about his youth or his parents. He had a younger brother, Ronnel, and a sister, Alys, who married Elys Waynwood. Jon was Keeper of the Gates of the Moon while his father lived, and after his father's death he named his brother Ronnel and later his cousin Denys to that position.[2]

I believe that Harry descends from Alys, so that is the reason why Harry is the heir to the Vale. Denys was killed I believe during Robert's Rebellion, or maybe it was actually before cause Aerys had him killed. (along with Brandon Stark and Ned's father of course. Which is a different topic for another time perhaps.) But still we have no info on Jon's mother just like we have no info on Ned's. This is mysterious in at least a few ways when you consider that we knew Jaime's, Robert and Stannis', and even Catelyn's mother's name since at least the first three-four books. Who do you guys out there think she was? Could she have even been a Lannister as some people think, especially when you consider as to the reason why Tywin wanted to foster little Robin at the Rock. Any opinion is fine, feel free to share thoughts.

I like your idea that she was possibly Lannister. It would make sense that Tywin would want to foster Sweetrobin.

Unless he married a minor Lannister, which he as a lord paramount he wouldn't, I think something would have come up about Jon being related to Cersei and Joffrey etc.

I always thought Tywin wanted to foster Sweetrobin so that when he came of age Tywin would have the Lord of the Vale in his pocket.

Unless he married a minor Lannister, which he as a lord paramount he wouldn't, I think something would have come up about Jon being related to Cersei and Joffrey etc.

I always thought Tywin wanted to foster Sweetrobin so that when he came of age Tywin would have the Lord of the Vale in his pocket.

That's not a bad idea at all, I believed the same until I realized Tywin's endless interest in "everything" Lannister. He was very, very house name oriented, and as far as I know he didn't offer to foster many, or any children who didn't have a Lannister mother or father. Family was really the only thing that Tywin cared about I think.

That's not a bad idea at all, I believed the same until I realized Tywin's endless interest in "everything" Lannister. He was very, very house name oriented, and as far as I know he didn't offer to foster many, or any children who didn't have a Lannister mother or father. Family was really the only thing that Tywin cared about I think.

That's true but he's still intelligent enough to realise that raising a future lord paramount is a bloody good idea.

That's true but he's still intelligent enough to realise that raising a future lord paramount is a bloody good idea.

You are right there, and he may have wanted to marry Marcella or another Lannister related girl to Robin one day to secure an alliance. One of his younger brothers had a girl named Joy I think, he probably thought that Joy, Myrcella, or a future lannister female would make a decent marriage.

Could his mother be Rhae or Daella Targaryen? No real proof for this but I think the timeline fits.

Thank you Daemon for raising the point, cause that is yet another possibility. I saw the theory btw that said that the Lady Arryn was likely one of Egg's sisters, and thus that was the reason why LF wanted to set up Harry as lord of the vale, and to marry him to Sansa, because likely she has a Targ ancestor too. Thus he wanted to set them up as king and queen.

What Tyrion told the boy named for him: some woman no doubt most of them are. Jon Arryn's mother likely doesn't have any implications for the story.

What GRRM shows in his stories is that usually women are just as important as men in terms of bloodlines so.....while I see what you may be trying to say, I can't see how maternal lines are anyway irrelevant, especially when it comes to Houses in Westeros.

Archived