Small questions v.10015

Angalin

Really small question - Why is Cersei always referred to as "Cersei Lannister", when all the other married women (that I can tell) have been referred to with their husbands name? Catelyn is at times referred to as Catelyn Tully, but not too frequently (and usually only when referring to her before she was married), but I've never seen Cersei called "Cersei Baratheon" in the books. Is it because she never thought of herself as a Baratheon, but always as a Lannister, so GRRM wrote it that way?

Really small question - Why is Cersei always referred to as "Cersei Lannister", when all the other married women (that I can tell) have been referred to with their husbands name? Catelyn is at times referred to as Catelyn Tully, but not too frequently (and usually only when referring to her before she was married), but I've never seen Cersei called "Cersei Baratheon" in the books. Is it because she never thought of herself as a Baratheon, but always as a Lannister, so GRRM wrote it that way?

Simply because there are no personal cards, passports and driving licenses with your name on it in Westeros, so everyone is free to refer to married women by whatever surname they prefer.

However, probably Cersei herself preferred to be addressed to as Cersei Lannister, so maybe the court picked on and started calling her that way.

In Got when selmy is dismissed from the KG he is told that Lord tywin has granted him lands, but Tywin is upset that he is dismissed. So why was it stated that he had given him lands?

Good catch. Probably Tywin didn't know about Selmy being dismissed at all, while Cersei granted him some lands in Westerlands without Tywin's knowledge and approval.

Simply because there are no personal cards, passports and driving licenses with your name on it in Westeros, so everyone is free to refer to married women by whatever surname they prefer.

However, probably Cersei herself preferred to be addressed to as Cersei Lannister, so maybe the court picked on and started calling her that way.

Thanks. I figured it was probably just because she preferred it.. I just found it interesting that it wasn't just the characters that referred to her that way, but also GRRM, when writing about her, always referred to her as Lannister. It just stood out to me since he didn't do that with any other married woman. Which I guess says a lot about her character and how much she hated being married to Robert, and never saw herself as becoming part of the Baratheon house. Off-topic musing, but I always wondered how different her character might have turned out if she had married to someone she could have loved, like how she wanted Rhaegar.

In Got when selmy is dismissed from the KG he is told that Lord tywin has granted him lands, but Tywin is upset that he is dismissed. So why was it stated that he had given him lands?

Good catch. Probably Tywin didn't know about Selmy being dismissed at all, while Cersei granted him some lands in Westerlands without Tywin's knowledge and approval.

It was just a charade, they probably intended to kill him...

It was just a charade, they probably intended to kill him...

Well Varys probably wanted him with Dany or Aegon, and he's the one who actually maid the claim about Tywin giving him the lands. I think if Cersei was going to kill him she would have killed him and avoided the problem of retiring a Kingsguard member at all.

Well Varys probably wanted him with Dany or Aegon, and he's the one who actually maid the claim about Tywin giving him the lands. I think if Cersei was going to kill him she would have killed him and avoided the problem of retiring a Kingsguard member at all.

Oh varys did, well then you are right, I withdraw my previous statement...

In aFfC, after running from the Sept of Baelor because of Lord Tywin's decomposing state, Tommen is told b his uncle Jamie that there are many horrors in the world, and one way of dealing with them is to 'go away inside.' Tommen then states he used to do that when Joffy...

But is interrupted by Cersei and her sharp rebuke for calling him Joffy and shaming her.

My question is: was Joffery violent towards Tommen? Was there more? Do we perhaps see a Aeron-Euron rusty hinge 2.0 with this? Or does it simply mean Joffery's cruelty extended to his siblings too?

In aFfC, after running from the Sept of Baelor because of Lord Tywin's decomposing state, Tommen is told b his uncle Jamie that there are many horrors in the world, and one way of dealing with them is to 'go away inside.' Tommen then states he used to do that when Joffy...

But is interrupted by Cersei and her sharp rebuke for calling him Joffy and shaming her.

My question is: was Joffery violent towards Tommen? Was there more? Do we perhaps see a Aeron-Euron rusty hinge 2.0 with this? Or does it simply mean Joffery's cruelty extended to his siblings too?

i think it means when he saw Joffrey doing horrible things he "went away inside."

The Prince That Was Promised - Who promised him/her? I checked the wiki and it seems like it is unclear. I fear (hope?) GRRM will do something genie-like with this concept and make people very careful about what they wish for. Could the "promise" be something ominus?

I'm sure he abused him. Whether it was sexual I don't think we can say.

Archived