Could a Dothraki army actually conquer Westeros?

Arya is Awesome

The books have a lot of important people (Illyrio, Viserys, Dany) under the impression that a Dothraki army could be key to conquering Westeros. But is it really?

Pros:

1) The Dothraki are fearsome warriors

2) They have horses

3) If Dany gains a khalasar, that could be thousands of soldiers on her side

Cons:

1) You need many ships to carry thousands of soldiers and horses across the Narrow Sea

2) They would freeze to death in the North

3) They would die of heat and dehydration in Dorne

4) Their horses would be clumsy and practically useless in the mountains of the Vale or the swamps of the Neck.

5) It would be impossible for them to attack the islands of Pyke.

6) They have little experience (if any) with fighting fully armored knights, or seiging a castle

The only place I see them as being particularly useful would be in standard warfare against infantry or cavalry. But they would need to either draw out the enemy from their protective castles (Storms Reach, Casterly Rock, Highgarden), or somehow penetrate the castle walls. They could harass the smallfolk and burn the fields, but they would probably starve themselves before the castles fell.

In short, they would only be useful if they were supplemented by experienced soldiers who have fought in Westeros (not the Unsullied) and know what strategies work. I think if Dany gained a khalasar and attacked Westeros, she would end up with many more casualties than victories. The dragons could help, but they were never part of the original plan.

The extent of Dothraki battle strategy is charge at the enemy non-stop. This is why they lost to a much smaller force of Unsullied. Their understanding of combat is severely limited and easily exploitable. Jorah demonstrates this when he kills Qotho, who essentially considers Jorah a coward for wearing armour.

They would have caused some damage, but I think in the end they would've been beaten. Dany was also relying on other Westerosi lords joining her cause, but I think Dorne would have been the only kingdom to join her, and even that I'm not sure about. I find it strange that Robert even considered them a legitimate threat to the kingdom.

In short, they would only be useful if they were supplemented by experienced soldiers who have fought in Westeros (not the Unsullied) and know what strategies work. I think if Dany gained a khalasar and attacked Westeros, she would end up with many more casualties than victories. The dragons could help, but they were never part of the original plan.

Sounds exactly like Illyrio Monpatis plan.

Except, of course, he didn't tell any of it to Danny and she went all Sparatcus in Slaver's Bay.

They have literally zero experience with siege craft, but could simply ravage the countryside for years and starve everyone into submission.

However I think Westeros could probably martial a greater combined military force than the Dothraki. If there were one massive battle I would say Westeros would win. But if 50000 screamers landed and attacked smaller groups of Westerosi one at a time, they could inflict a long string of defeats. However, I can't imagine they have the manpower or resources to actually subdue the entire 7 kingdoms, unless some powerful Lords decide to join them(unlikely)

They would have caused some damage, but I think in the end they would've been beaten. Dany was also relying on other Westerosi lords joining her cause, but I think Dorne would have been the only kingdom to join her, and even that I'm not sure about. I find it strange that Robert even considered them a legitimate threat to the kingdom.

I think Robert realized how fragile his dynasty truly was and while the Dothraki alone were not a threat they could exert enough pressure to expose the fractures that eventually made themselves known after his death.

Finally, the impossible is done. 15 answers in a row making sense. That's unheard of in the entire net. I'm proud of you, westeros.org

Logically they shouldn't, but GRRM may think differently considering how fearsome a reputation he has giveb them. It's hard to say.

Actually, GRRM has pointed out that their fearsome reputation is entirely unwarranted. And in fact, they are only feared by the smallfolk who'd suffer under their pillaging before they get curbstomped by an army, any army at all.

Archived