the black dragon becomes red

The King Breaker

so im not sure if this was worthy of a thread or if its been spotted before but basiacally i spotted something during a brienne chapter when they arrive at the inn of the cross roads. septon meribald is talking about the history of the inn and then gets to something i found quite interesting concerning dragons :

"he forged a new sign for the yard, a three headed dragon of black iron that hung from a wooden post. the beast was so big it had been made in a dozen pieces, joined with rope an wire. when the wind blew it would clank and clatter , so thr inn became known far and wide as the clanking dragon "

"is the dragon sign still there ?" asked podrick.

"no" said septon meribald "when the smiths son was an old man , a bastard son of the forth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his true born brother and took for his sigil the black dragon. these lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to his king. the sight of the black iron dragon made him wroth so he cut down the post, hacked the sign to pieces , and cast them into the river, one of the dragons heads washed up on the quite isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust."

could the black dragon disappearing and re appearing as a red dragon be symbolic of the blackfyre's dieng out and then reappearing as red dragons or taergaryans like Aegon ?. i never really bought into (F) Aegon but oddly this turned me. any thoughts on this or the whole Aegon Blackfyre thing in general ?

also could there be symbolism in that only one head turned up ? could Aegon be a part of the three headed dragon ? any thoughts welcome .

I think this is widely regarded as foreshadowing that Aegon is a Blackfyre. The sign was black to begin with and is still black beneath the layers of rust. The part about only one head showing up is a good catch. It could certainly mean that this foreshadowing applies to one of the three heads.

It's widely believed to be foreshadowing of a Blackfyre (Aegon) returning to Westeros, from across the Narrow Sea, as a Targaryen.

I've never seen anyone suggest it's symbolism of (F)Aegon being part of the three heads of the dragon. I myself believe this http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/86614-jon-snow-the-3headed-dragon-and-mythology/

so im not sure if this was worthy of a thread or if its been spotted before but basiacally i spotted something during a brienne chapter when they arrive at the inn of the cross roads. septon meribald is talking about the history of the inn and then gets to something i found quite interesting concerning dragons :

"he forged a new sign for the yard, a three headed dragon of black iron that hung from a wooden post. the beast was so big it had been made in a dozen pieces, joined with rope an wire. when the wind blew it would clank and clatter , so thr inn became known far and wide as the clanking dragon "

"is the dragon sign still there ?" asked podrick.

"no" said septon meribald "when the smiths son was an old man , a bastard son of the forth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his true born brother and took for his sigil the black dragon. these lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to his king. the sight of the black iron dragon made him wroth so he cut down the post, hacked the sign to pieces , and cast them into the river, one of the dragons heads washed up on the quite isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust."

could the black dragon disappearing and re appearing as a red dragon be symbolic of the blackfyre's dieng out and then reappearing as red dragons or taergaryans like Aegon ?. i never really bought into (F) Aegon but oddly this turned me. any thoughts on this or the whole Aegon Blackfyre thing in general ?

also could there be symbolism in that only one head turned up ? could Aegon be a part of the three headed dragon ? any thoughts welcome .

I think this is widely regarded as foreshadowing that Aegon is a Blackfyre. The sign was black to begin with and is still black beneath the layers of rust. The part about only one head showing up is a good catch. It could certainly mean that this foreshadowing applies to one of the three heads.

You are kinda late, its an oold theory...

I think it could be foreshadowing that Aegon is both a Blackfyre and a head of the three-headed dragon. To me, the three-headed dragon will include Dany, Aegon, and Jon.

I honestly would welcome that....because I think the dragons and the dragonriders will be doomed and I don t want Tyrion to die as a dragonrider!

I have a theory.

Okay so lets say L+R=J, Jon would still bastard, he would technically be a Blackfyre, not Targ, there is zero indication that they were married, Rhaegar was already married, so that would mostly make Lyanna paramore which would've most likely been okay with Elia because she was Dornish and couldn't have given Rhaegar anymore son's anyway.

so, the rusted over dragon head could also be for Jon.

I have a theory.

Okay so lets say L+R=J, Jon would still bastard, he would technically be a Blackfyre, not Targ,

Blackfyre is not the name for all Targaryren bastards. It was the name of a cadet branch of House Targaryren through a legitimized Targaryren bastard. The legitimized bastard took the name Blackfyre from the sword given to him by his father.

there is zero indication that they were married, Rhaegar was already married, so that would mostly make Lyanna paramore which would've most likely been okay with Elia because she was Dornish and couldn't have given Rhaegar anymore son's anyway.

The Kingsguard presence at the Tower of Joy has been sited as evidence that they were indeed married.

I have a theory.

Okay so lets say L+R=J, Jon would still bastard, he would technically be a Blackfyre, not Targ, there is zero indication that they were married, Rhaegar was already married, so that would mostly make Lyanna paramore which would've most likely been okay with Elia because she was Dornish and couldn't have given Rhaegar anymore son's anyway.

I don't think Jon can be considered a Blackfyre. Daemon named himself Blackfyre after the sword his father gave him.

This is just an observation of mine that I'm sure a lot of people are going to disagree with, but I'm just going to throw it out there anyway. While I do agree that most of the evidence does point to Aegon being fake, while re-reading this theory about the red rust covering up the black dragon's true nature, I noticed a misinterpretation of the basic science behind rust. Red rust is made up of red oxides that are produced by the chemical reaction that occurs when iron and oxygen react in the presence of water and air moisture. The chemical reaction that produces rust is a form of corrosion (denigration); Given sufficient time, oxygen, water, and any iron mass will eventually convert entirely to rust and disintegrate. This is a permanent, denigrative change to the iron at the most basic molecular level. What it was originally has been broken apart and fundamentally changed. In other words, that black painted iron dragon is NOT still black iron hiding underneath the red rust just waiting to be revealed. That black dragon is gone for good, permanently eaten away and transformed into a dragon of red rust.

So how would this apply to our understanding of the symbolism behind the rusted black dragon? Well, it could very well be that GRRM doesn't really know or understand the science behind the formation of rust, in which case he may have purposely meant for the rusted black dragon sign to foreshadow that Aegon's true nature (that of a Blackfyre or "black" dragon). Or, it could also mean the exact opposite, that the once black dragon has been worn down by the ravages of time and fate until it has permanently altered to something entirely different; a red dragon.

Please know that I'm not trying to advocate that Aegon is real, or that the concept of the black dragon disguised as a red dragon is a bad one. Re-reading the theory just jogged memories from my chemistry class about the nature of rust and what it might possibly mean for this theory regarding Aegon as a Blackfyre.

Archived