Should I read The Name of the Wind? (Kingkiller Chronicles)

First of My Name

I live in the Netherlands but I mostly read English books (sf/f mostly) but since those can't be found in the library, I need to order them online, and I consider each book carefully before I buy it. I've been hearing good things about the Kingkiller Chronicles. Should I order it? What are it's good points?

(And no spoilers, of course!)

Now why does that not pop up when I search on 'Name of the Wind' in the thread title? Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure. Are you using the advanced search or just the simple toolbar search? (I found it by searching for "overrated" :P)

I generally find using Google itself (with "asoiaf.westeros.org" at the start) is much more accurate than using the toolbar, which I find almost completely useless.

I'll use google "site" searches when the advanced search is shut off, but that turns up waaaaaaaayyyy too many deleted threads because of the frequent culling here. Clicking the gear next to the search toolbar and that is much, much better than the toolbar.

I think there's some way to access the sample chapters. Possibly Amazon.

Name of the Wind is good until the you get to the final, supposedly climatic part of the novel.

Wise Man's Fear has a good book somewhere in its excessive morass.

It's the best of books and the worst of books.

Rothfuss creates a fascinating world and magic system, and his prose is simply gorgeous. Downside is that the protagonist is roughly "Harry Potter with Hermione's academic talents times ten, and who also happens to be a Rock-star Ginger Sex God."

It's not very good, but this is an odd question. Y'see, there's really not a single book I would answer "No, you shouldn't read it." to.

I might say that the book is *bad* but that doesen't mean it shouldn't be read. It's a question with only one answer. (now "Should I read this book or the other one?" is trickier)

Ayn Rand? E.L. James? Stephanie Meyer?

No, you should still (*i* should still) read these books. Their quality (or lack thereof) has little to do with it. Even bad books should be read (although preferably in a format that doesen't give the author any money) just so that you learn what's bad about them.

Archived