What was Robert thinking?

Lord of Dragonstone

Why on earth did he pass over Stannis and give the Stormlands to his kid brother Renly?

Stannis has griped about this in the past, but seriously, Stannis is older and better suited to lead an entire kingdom than a mere child. He played a pivotal role in defending Storm's End which prevented the Tyrell host from joining their forces to Rhaegar's. And of course, he's older.

It makes no sense why Robert should so blatantly pass over him. I think Davos mentioned some weak explanation about needing a strong hand to rule Dragonstone which was had Targaryen loyalties, but surely there were capable people who weren't supposed to be Lord Paramount of the Stormlands? Couldn't a veteran Castellan have run the place while Renly was fostered with either Stannis or Robert until he came of age?

Was Robert really so cruel as to pass over his legal heir, one who was forced to eat rats while Robert was off winning the throne?

Dragonstone is the typical domain of the King's heir, thus Robert thought that by giving it to Stannis he was honoring him not realizing that Stannis is a little crybaby. Especially, seeing how Robert didn't have to give Stannis shit if he didn't want too.

Why on earth did he pass over Stannis and give the Stormlands to his kid brother Renly?

It is not weak explanation. Stannis was given Dragonstone because of 2 reasons:

1. It was seat of House Targaryen for so long. Robert needed someone strong there to quell possible anger and control them.

2. Stannis was Robert's heir at the time being. Dragonstone has been always given to Crowned Princes and Heirs apparent.

Dragonstone is the typical domain of the King's heir, thus Robert thought that by giving it to Stannis he was honoring him not realizing that Stannis is a little crybaby. Especially, seeing how Robert didn't have to give Stannis shit if he didn't want too.

I'm sure everyone expected Robert to have father his own heirs. The Stormlands are a much, much greater prize than Dragonstone, and as King of the 7 Kingdoms ruling from King's Landing, he would have had to appoint someone to rule the Stormlands from Storm's End.

I'm sure everyone expected Robert to have father his own heirs. The Stormlands are a much, much greater prize than Dragonstone, and as King of the 7 Kingdoms ruling from King's Landing, he would have had to appoint someone to rule the Stormlands from Storm's End.

He was still treating Stannis as his heir at the moment, and he could have easily appointed a Castellan to rule the Storm's End until Tommen comes to age which then Robert could make him Lord of the Stormlands while Joffrey was Lord of Dragonstone.

I REALLY don't see why people think that Robert committed some great evil by continuing the Targaryen tradition of giving Dragonstone to the heir to the throne.

I think it is more because it is Stannis's own opinion and Robert could be an idiot. It helps that plenty of fans don't like Robert and are willing to see everything Robert does as terrible.

Cersei tells either Ned or Tyrion that it was meant as an insult. Now, Cersei is not the brightest bulb, but I bet she heard her drunk husband say a lot of things during their 14 year marriage, so I'm guessing that this is the truth.

He was still treating Stannis as his heir at the moment, and he could have easily appointed a Castellan to rule the Storm's End until Tommen comes to age which then Robert could make him Lord of the Stormlands while Joffrey was Lord of Dragonstone.

But he already made Renly - a child at the time - lord of the Stormlands. He couldn't just revoke it and give it to Stannis.

I think it is more because it is Stannis's own opinion and Robert could be an idiot. It helps that plenty of fans don't like Robert and are willing to see everything Robert does as terrible.

I mean, I'm not a fan of either of them, Robert was lazy king and didn't make any traditions so he decided to continue the Targ tradition of giving Dragonstone to the heir, but Stannis' complaints annoy me because Robert didn't have to give him shit.

1. It was seat of House Targaryen for so long. Robert needed someone strong there to quell possible anger and control them.

2. Stannis was Robert's heir at the time being. Dragonstone has been always given to Crowned Princes and Heirs apparent.

Wouldn't you rather have a strong military ruler in charge of 30000+ men from the Stormlands than a few rocky outcrops in the sea?

Yeah, Robert didn't like Stannis. He could have given Stannis the Stormlands, and the incomes the wealthier seat would bring, and asked him to personally administer Dragonstone and its traditional vassals until such a time as Robert had an adult heir. Yet, he just flat out gave Renly Storm's End, and never wavered.

There is a reason Stannis didn't go out of his way to save him from Cersei and Jaime's scheming.

You forgot the third, due to the stratigic position of Dragonstone in relation to naval protection of Kings Landing, since Stannis was sent to deal with the remaining Targaryen's after the Rebellion, he obviously had naval expierence.

But he already made Renly - a child at the time - lord of the Stormlands. He couldn't just revoke it and give it to Stannis.

Yes, because he gave Dragonstone to Stannis instead of his future son. Notice, how he didn't revoke that from Stannis and give it to Joffey. Simply, he probably wanted to reward both of his brothers and makes more sense to give Dragonstone to Stannis and the Stormlands to Renly.

Wouldn't you rather have a strong military ruler in charge of 30000+ men from the Stormlands than a few rocky outcrops in the sea?

It is easier for a Baratheon to hold the Stormlands then it will be for them to hold Dragonstone.

Yes, because he gave Dragonstone to Stannis instead of his future son. Notice, how he didn't revoke that from Stannis and give it to Joffey. Simply, he probably wanted to reward both of his brothers and makes more sense to give Dragonstone to Stannis and the Stormlands to Renly.

So why did Renly deserve a reward likely 10x as valuable for doing absolutely nothing? Stannis was higher up in succession and had proved his devotion to Robert while playing a key part in his rebellion.

It is easier for a Baratheon to hold the Stormlands then it will be for them to hold Dragonstone.

So make sure Renly's castellan was up to the task. I don't see why it had to be Stannis. Just because the Targaryens had the custom of giving it to their heir doesn't mean Stannis should lose the Stormlands. For the Targaryens giving the heir apparent Dragonstone was very different, given that the holder actually expected to rule the IT.

Stormlands can muster 30 000 men? I always thought it is somewhere between 20-25 000... But, it doesn't matter... It was Targaryen tradition that Dragonstone is given to Heir Apparents, and Robert honored that. Plus, Dragonstone is strategically important if any of Targaryens would raise an army and try to cross Narrow Sea... Stannis' POV regarding this matter is completely wrong.

Simple as that.

You forgot the third, due to the stratigic position of Dragonstone in relation to naval protection of Kings Landing, since Stannis was sent to deal with the remaining Targaryen's after the Rebellion, he obviously had naval expierence.

This was never mentioned, but possibly...

Archived