Possible Division of POV Chapters in TWOW

John Reyne

I have recently started thinking more about TWOW lately. I have some reservations about if GRRM will have enough room in this book to correctly set of the series for the final book. I did a simple breakdown of what I think the division on POVs could be. The division is by both event and then split even further into individual characters.

The Wall and Beyond: 9

- Bran: 4

- Melisandre: 3

- Jon Snow: 2 (I believe he will be alive before the end of the book)

Battle of Winterfell/Aftermath: 7

- Theon: 4

- Asha: 3

Battle of Mereen/Aftermath: 15

- Tyrion: 9

- Victarion: 4

- Barristan: 2

Dothraki Sea: 10

- Daenerys: 10

Storms End: 7

- Arianne: 5

- Jon Connington: 2

The Vale: 4

- Sansa: 4

Riverlands: 5

- Jaime: 5

King's Landing: 5

- Cersei: 5

Oldtown/The Reach: 4

- Sam: 4

Braavos: 4

- Arya: 4

Miscellaneous: 9

- Davos: 4

- Damphair: 3

- Areo: 2

All of these add up to 79 chapters, which would be the same amount at ASOS. These predictions don't account for any POV deaths, which there are certain to be a few. Also, they do not account for future overlapping of POVs. For example, I am fairly confident that Arianne/Jon Connington will meet up with other POVs in King's Landing or the Reach, which could lower the amount of POVs Cersei or Sam have.

Also, having Jon Snow either dead or incapacitated for awhile will allow GRRM to advance the stories of all the other characters while moving the pieces for the end of the series. Jon has at least 8 chapters in every book that he is in, without the need to advance his story right now, some secondary POVs will get more chapters than they would have.

Any thoughts on who or which setting deserves/will have more POV chapter coverage?

This is a chapter division prediction I wrote up a few months ago, it's fairly similar to yours. The only POV you forgot was Brienne, but I don't think we'll get another Brienne pov anyways. This includes my death predictions, brackets means possible death and I predict 4 or 5 of the bracket-ed characters will die in winds.

The winds of winter chapter prediction
Tyrion 11
Daenerys 10
Cersei 8 (die?)
Jon Snow 8
Arianne 6 (die?)
Jaime 6 (die?)
Asha 5 (die?)
Sansa 4
Arya 4
Davos 4 (die?)
Bran 3
Victarion 3 (die?)
Barristan 3 (die?)
Theon 2 die
Samwell 2
Aeron 2 (die?)
Melisandre 2 (die?)
Areo 1 die
Brienne 0 (die?)
Jon Connington 0 die

total 82 chapters + prologue & epiloge = 84

2 POVs for Jon Snow??? Probably the most important character in the whole series and only 2 POVs. Unlikely. One of the thing GRRM has said in interview is there will more events taking place North of the Wall in the Land of Always Winter, so I expect significant POVs from Jon. Probably as much as DWD.

If GRRM really wants to finish the series in two books, I think we're going to need shorter chapters and more chapters. So let's give Davos, Jo or Mel at the Wall, Bran and Arya some slack. I do agree that Dany and Tyrion need to be the obvious bulk of the story if they're ever going to get to Westeros so that's a definite, but I really hope the main/original characters will start taking center stage.

EDIT: I'd also like to have 1 or 2 Brienne chapters, even if she'll die early.

2 POVs for Jon Snow??? Probably the most important character in the whole series and only 2 POVs. Unlikely. One of the thing GRRM has said in interview is there will more events taking place North of the Wall in the Land of Always Winter, so I expect significant POVs from Jon. Probably as much as DWD.

Not as much as ADWD. He's kind of dead now, and a lot of people believe it's going to be a while before he's back on his feet. There are only so many Ghost/Jon-sitting-in-a-bed-and-moaning chapters one can take while two huge battles and more than enough other big moments (J&B meeting with Stoneheart, Aegon conquering, a thousand characters returning to Westeros, Sam finding out secrets in Oldtown, Cersei getting herself killed...) to make Jon's story take the backstage at least for the first half of the book. But he'll definitely have more than 2 chapters. At least 5 IMO.

Not as much as ADWD. He's kind of dead now, and a lot of people believe it's going to be a while before he's back on his feet. There are only so many Ghost/Jon-sitting-in-a-bed-and-moaning chapters one can take while two huge battles and more than enough other big moments (J&B meeting with Stoneheart, Aegon conquering, a thousand characters returning to Westeros, Sam finding out secrets in Oldtown, Cersei getting herself killed...) to make Jon's story take the backstage at least for the first half of the book. But he'll definitely have more than 2 chapters. At least 5 IMO.

i agree with this

also all the characters in Slaver's Bay are going to come together making it unnecessary to have so many separate chapters for tyrion, barristan, victarion, and even daenarys (i think she will be back sooner rather than later), and make that part of the book advance much faster

If GRRM really wants to finish the series in two books, I think we're going to need shorter chapters and more chapters.

:agree:

One thing I noticed while reading the series is that by ADwD the chapters were, on average, much longer than they were at the start of the series. This really needs to change. And even if the chapter length returns to that of the early books I hold my doubts that he can finish in two books. My only hope is that after TWoW, as the series really starts to head towards its conclusion, GRRM's pace picks up to a rate similar to that of the earlier books (one every 2-2.5 years).

As for my predictions, here is what I posted in another thread:

Note: a * means that I think they could have less chapter, while a ^ means that I think they could have more

Prologue - 1 (Storm's End Maester witnessing Aegon take the castle OR something at Highgarden with Euron)

Daenerys - 10 (my theory is that her first 2-3 chapters will be among the Dothraki and will happen chronologically at the same time as Barristan's ADwD chapters, with the last of those chapters ending with her seeing Meereen in the distance just before the battle starts. She then returns at the end of the battle)

Tyrion - 8 (I think he will spend a fair amount of the book with Daenerys, so the chapters will alternate between them)

Cersei - 7^ (dies, but not necessarily in her own chapter)

Arianne - 6^ (All indications are that she will step up and become a major PoV in TWoW)

Jaime - 6* (dies)

Asha - 5^

Davos - 5

Jon - 5^

Sansa - 5^

Theon - 5^

Areo - 4^

Arya - 4^

Brandon - 4

Samwell - 4

Aeron - 3

Barristan - 3 (dies. My theory is that we will get a third battle chapter from his perspective during which he is wounded, but sees the return of Daenerys before he faints. It is the reported in the first post-battle chapter that he has succumbed to his wounds)

Melisandre - 3 (dies)

Victarion - 3^

Brienne - 2^ (honestly, I hope she just doesn't have any chapters at all)

JonCon - 2^ (one before Arianne arrives and one after. We could also get an earlier one of them taking Storm's End if that isn't in the prologue, and possibly one later in the book. To those saying he will die soon: greyscale doesn't act that quickly)

Total - 95. THERE WILL BE NO EPILOGUE.

• 9 months later...

The POV encounters are a wildcard and will affect division of chapters.So I think it will be like this:

Daenerys:10

Tyrion:8

Arya:7

Arianne:5

Sansa:5

Theon:5

Cersei:4

Bran:4

Barristan:4

Jon:4

Samwell:4

Melisandre:3

Davos:3

Jaime:3

Victarion:3

Asha:2

Brienne:2

Aeron:2

Areo:1

Jon Connighton:1

I have recently started thinking more about TWOW lately. I have some reservations about if GRRM will have enough room in this book to correctly set of the series for the final book. I did a simple breakdown of what I think the division on POVs could be. The division is by both event and then split even further into individual characters.

- Bran: 4

- Melisandre: 3

- Jon Snow: 2 (I believe he will be alive before the end of the book)

- Theon: 4

- Asha: 3

- Victarion: 4

- Barristan: 2

Dothraki Sea: 10

- Daenerys: 10

Storms End: 7

- Arianne: 5

- Jon Connington: 2

Riverlands: 5

King's Landing: 5

- Cersei: 5

Miscellaneous: 9

- Davos: 4

- Damphair: 3

- Areo: 2

All of these add up to 79 chapters, which would be the same amount at ASOS. These predictions don't account for any POV deaths, which there are certain to be a few. Also, they do not account for future overlapping of POVs. For example, I am fairly confident that Arianne/Jon Connington will meet up with other POVs in King's Landing or the Reach, which could lower the amount of POVs Cersei or Sam have.

Also, having Jon Snow either dead or incapacitated for awhile will allow GRRM to advance the stories of all the other characters while moving the pieces for the end of the series. Jon has at least 8 chapters in every book that he is in, without the need to advance his story right now, some secondary POVs will get more chapters than they would have.

Any thoughts on who or which setting deserves/will have more POV chapter coverage?

Knowing Martin, it'll be 33 Miscellaneous, 20 will be Damphair.

I think Jon and Dany may have fewer chapters than usual, Dany mainly because there are other POVs to cover events in her vicinity.

Jon - 6+

Dany - 4+

Barristan - 2-3, probable death

Tyrion - 7+, covers most of Dany's activity after they meet up

Victarion - 3+, probable death

Cersei - 4+, survives for now

Jaime - 2+, possible death

Brienne - 2+, possible death; if it's her-or-Jaime, one of them gets 4+, the other may not get any

Arya - 3+

Areo - 2+

JonCon - 2+, may die in suicidal move on battlefield, instructs his forces to build him a pyre, reveals his greyscale

Theon - 4+, possible death

Davos - 3+, covering Rickon's reentry to the story

Asha - 2+, may cover events at Castle Black after Queen's party, with Mel and Jon Snow, leave

Mel - 1+, seems to be a minor POV, will survive for now

Aeron/Euron: 1, touching base with Ironborn

Sam - 2+

Sansa - 3+

Arianne - 2+, should separate from Areo to cover different points

Bran - 3+, offering information but not doing much actively

possible POV for Nymeria Sand, 2+, offering alternative view to Cersei in KL

Not tied to a final chapter count, or prologue/epilogue.

Here's my version. A = means possible death. The only major change from the OP's list is a 3 chapter drop in Dany's POVs, because she'll be near Tyrion for most of the book and he's far more interesting.

- Bran: 5
= Melisandre: 3
- Jon Snow: 1 (Him as Ghost. Will be resurrected at end of book)

- Theon: 5 (After the battle, he'll move to the wall, which will be lacking in POVs if Mel and Jon both die)
= Asha: 2

= Victarion: 4
= Barristan: 2

Dothraki Sea: 7
- Daenerys: 7

Storms End: 9
- Arianne: 6
= Jon Connington: 3

Riverlands: 7
= Brienne: 2

King's Landing: 6
- Cersei: 6

Miscellaneous: 11
- Davos: 5
= Damphair: 3
- Areo: 3

The Wall and Beyond: 12
Bran: 10
Melisandre: 5

The North /Battle in the Snow: 10
Theon: 5

Asha: 2

Davos: 3

Cutting the Mereenese Knot: 20
Tyrion: 6
Victarion: 4
Barristan: 4

Daenerys: 5

End of the Storm: 12
Arianne: 10
Jon Connington: 2

The Lady of the Vale (and possibly Harrenhal): 8
Sansa: 8

Riverlands: 1
Jaime: 1

King's Landing: 3
Cersei: 3

Oldtown/The Reach: 8
Sam: 6
Damphair: 2

Dorne: 6

Areo: 3

Arys: 3

Braavos and anywhere there's blood to spill: 5
Arya: 5

Total: 85

GRRM has confirmed that a lot of the book will focus around the North (the Wall and Stannis' campaign) and Essos in an interview recently. He also said Tyrion and Dany will only meet in the final third of the novel. He also said that the Dothraki will play an important role in the novel.

Here is a link if you don't believe me:

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/winds.of.winter.spoilers.release.date.wars.deaths.marriages.betrayals/38633.htm

Daenerys 10 : 2-3 chapters among Dothraki,2-3 chapters in Meereen organising things and maybe cutting some @@@@@ off and then return to Westeros.

Sansa 7 : after her absence in DWD she will play the game hopefully.

Tyrion 7 : main POV in Meereen,he will try to stabilize Dany's army after the battle.

Arianne 6 : 3 chapters until she meets Aegon and then become main Kings Landing POV after Cersei.

Theon 6 :battle in Winterfell and then he goes to the Wall

Arya 5 : train and then return to Westeros with Dany's army.

Cersei 5 : 2 chapters for her trial and Margaery's , 1 when she regains some power in Kings Landing and 2 siege and fall of Kings Landing.

Davos 5 : he finds Rickon and then goes to Winterfell with Rickon

Jon 4 : wargs in Ghost,explores Lands beyond the Wall and then wakes up in his body.

Jaime 4 : main POV in Riverlands.

Barristan 4 : 3 chapters for the battle , 1 after he meets Tyrion and the others to show what happens inside Meereen.

Bran 3 : he will see the past.

Melisandre 2 : condition for the Wall.

Sam 2 : he will again have limited presence and see the missing books from the Citadel

Victarion 2 : 1 chapter before battle and 1 when Euron somehow kills him and takes the dragon he has tamed.

Aeron 2 : finds out about how Balon died.

Jon C. 2 : usefull for siege of Kings Landing from the outside of the city

Asha 1 : for siege of Dreadfort

Areo 1 : for what happened with Darkstar and generally Dorne.

The way I think it should be:

Daenerys/Sansa: 13

Bran/Jaime/Cersei: 8

Arya/Tyrion/Davos: 5

Arianne/Theon/Melisandre/Samwell: 4
Areo/Victarion/Barristan/Connington: 2

Aeron: 1

Jon/Asha/Brienne: 0

The way it's probably gonna be:

Tyrion/Arya: 938(each) :bang:

Daenerys/Sansa/Theon: 8
Cersei: 6

Jon/Arianne/Asha: 5

Bran/Barristan/Victarion/Samwell: 4

Jaime/Davos/Melisandre/Aeron/Connington: 3
Brienne: 2

Areo: 1

You can definitely say Tyrion will have +10 just because Martin wants, Daenerys will come close with 10 or 9, Arya needs to have a lot (unless her story in this book is all about training), Bran may well be given 4 or 5, 8 for Cersei sounds right .

So, how do you think Jon Con's chapter will be named? It can't be "Jon", right?

My cousin's ex-fiance's brother-in-law's dentist's high school buddy's step daughter's girlfriend's boyfriend's step mom's neighbor Parris Martin once got drunk and let slip over dinner:

Dany: 7 chapters

Tyrion: 7 chapters

Cersei: 5 chapters (dies)

Arya: 5 chapters

Sansa: 5 chapters

Theon: 4 chapters

Arianne: 4 chapters

Barriston: 4 chapters

Bran: 3 chapters

Davos: 3 chapters

Jamie: 3 chapters

Melisandre: 3 chapters