411 replies to this topic

#1 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,257 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

So USC's appeal to have their penalty lessened was denied. Typical. I mean, were the NCAA to grant their request, would it not imply that the NCAA made a mistake in judgement in the first place? And we know that cannot be since the NCAA is infallible.

Carry on.

ETA:  Thread title updated.  :)

Edited by Triskele, 28 September 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#2 Rhom

Rhom

Worships the space between topics

• Members
  • 10,096 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

I didn't know they had appealed. Other than the fact the NCAA lessened Penn State, was there grounds for appeal?

#3 Black Wolf Smith

Black Wolf Smith

Heretical Harlequin

• Members
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

I am confused.
USC gets in trouble for Bush taking money a few years before they get caught (and covering it up).

Penn St gets in trouble for a child molestation (and covering it up).

Aurburn gets clear of charges about Cam Newton ( it just seems like they got hit w/ a near death penalty) in the middle of a seasons. Almost like they didn't even check into it.

Johnny Football gets a half game suspension after pretty much getting caught red handed sell autograph.

So is the message, If you get caught don't try to cover it up, make the NCAA prove wrong doing? telling on yourself is better then getting caught? Play for Pay is far worse then child endangerment? That an out-dated, powerless, throw back to the Robber baron age, organization hates USC, because USC might be the last to feel their wrath?

#4 Ferrum Aeternum

Ferrum Aeternum

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

The NCAA has long been a joke. The difference now is that their hypocrisy is so obvious that everyone is in on it.

#5 Baitac

Baitac

You shush now!

• Members
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hello!!!!! It's Saturday! Where's everybody??

Go Gators! Beat those Wildcats.  Another fascinating Saturday in the life of the new incarnation of this team. No Isley, no Driscoll, no win?

#6 S John

S John

2012: Ottergeddon

• Members
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

WVU is beating OSU by 10 at the half.  I'm hopeful but prepared for my spirit to be crushed.

We are starting Trickett finally.  Third QB to start in 5 games.  Trickett has made some mistakes so far but I think its pretty clear he's the guy from here on out.  To be honest, I really like what I've seen.  He's showing enthusiasm and personality out there - a little leadership that we've been lacking at QB.  And, well, we are actually moving the ball some which is an accomplishment compared to the last 4 games..  

Running game needs to improve.  

D is playing as well as could be expected.  OSU is no slouch on offense so I am willing to cut them some slack when OSU puts together some good drives, that is just going to happen.  But the D has done a really good job so far, frustrating OSU's efforts more often than not.

For the second half - WVU needs to score on the opening drive and put them in a 17 point hole.  A ten point lead is all well and good but OSU is the kind of team that can put together a couple quick touchdown drives and the next thing you know WVU is playing from behind.  We get behind I think we're in trouble because I don't think the offence is good enough to hang around in a shootout.

#7 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 30,257 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, WVU is one of the surprises so far.

There was a wild play in the South Carolina game.  Safety made a perfectly timed hit to dislodge a WR from the ball and led w/ pads.  It was kind of high, but it was textbook.  Two refs throw flags and then proceed to eject the guy.  The refs should have been ejected instead.  I mostly like the safety rules, but this was the wrong call.

#8 Ferrum Aeternum

Ferrum Aeternum

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

West Virginia defense coming up HUGE in the 2nd half!

#9 S John

S John

2012: Ottergeddon

• Members
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Holy shit.  WVU is going to win this game.  Did NOT see that coming.

#10 Ramsay Blow

Ramsay Blow

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

FSU...hell of a start.

#11 BLU-RAY

BLU-RAY

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?

• Members
  • 9,581 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

In transit in an airport, haven't seen amy games today, but I just wanted to say,

A-C-C! A-C-C! A-C-C!

I KNOW SOME GOOD CLINT TRICKETT JOKES!!

#12 Ramsay Blow

Ramsay Blow

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Jameis!!

#13 Ser Scot A Ellison

Ser Scot A Ellison

My children's daddy and Social Justice Warrior!

• Members
  • 42,300 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Triskele,

I managed to get out of the Toyota dealship in time to give SC an opportunity to come back from the loss of Conner Shaw and a first half deficit.

Who made the hit?

#14 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 30,257 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Triskele,

I managed to get out of the Toyota dealship in time to give SC an opportunity to come back from the loss of Conner Shaw and a first half deficit.

Who made the hit?

Hi Scot - I'm actually not sure, but I think it was one of the safeties.  Although I may have been wrong about the ejection.  They definitely ejected him at first, but they may have somehow rescinded it.

Tough to say because Colorado is still probably not very good, but Oregon State looked great today, and Sean Mannion threw 6 TD's.  Brandin Cooks continues to light it up, but their D actually looked good for the first time all year.  The D that literally could not stop Eastern Washington's QB in the opener had Colorado at 1/10 on 3rd down conversions at one point. 

This Georgia and LSU game is pretty great. 

Huge win for WVU.  And yeah, totally surprising after last week's debacle.  Clint Trickett is one of the best names.

#15 lockesnow

lockesnow

Council Member

• Members
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

I feel like I should say something about the NCAA, but I can't muster the nerve.  Child molestation enabled by the head coach and covered up by everyone is not as bad as sports agents giving a player gifts to try and get the player to abandon his university early and go pro.  Insane.

In any event, I have sort of an insane hope that Haden's visit was two fold, talking to the NCAA, but also a clandestine meeting with Jim Tressel offering him 10 million to come take the head coaching duties at USC.

I figure if USC is being punished for shit it didn't do, we might as well hire a coach that did do some NCAA violations.

#16 Baitac

Baitac

You shush now!

• Members
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

I feel like I should say something about the NCAA, but I can't muster the nerve.  Child molestation enabled by the head coach and covered up by everyone is not as bad as sports agents giving a player gifts to try and get the player to abandon his university early and go pro.  Insane.

In any event, I have sort of an insane hope that Haden's visit was two fold, talking to the NCAA, but also a clandestine meeting with Jim Tressel offering him 10 million to come take the head coaching duties at USC.

I figure if USC is being punished for shit it didn't do, we might as well hire a coach that did do some NCAA violations.

I know you are upset but surely you don't mean this.

Congrats to WVU and S John!

Edited by Baitac, 28 September 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#17 Ferrum Aeternum

Ferrum Aeternum

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

I know you are upset but surely you don't mean this.

He doesn't mean it.

Bama playing with their hair on fire right now, a far cry from last week's performance.  Just hope we can keep it close.

#18 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 30,257 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, lockesnow was being ironic and saying what the NCAA effectively included. 

Not sure if I've ever seen red helmets for Arizona before.

#19 Ferrum Aeternum

Ferrum Aeternum

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

We're playing our asses off on defense but thus far it hasn't been enough.  McCarron hasn't been spectacular but he's taken what he's been given at every turn.  Our offense has moved the ball well at times, but can't push it past their 30.

I wish I could say I expected something different in the second half, but I'm guessing at a 23-3 type score at this point, including a defensive or special teams touchdown on their part.  This is how they win games.

#20 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 30,257 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Sean Mannion 133 186 1604 71.5 8.62 15 1 169.5

There's Mannion's stat line on the year. and the one pick hit his WR in the numbers and was bobbled in awful fashion.  And they scored 40+ in their one loss. 

Edited by Triskele, 28 September 2013 - 07:24 PM.