Board Issues 3

Datepalm

White Pine,

Just use the report function on the Theon thread. In the meantime, I'm sure the admin folks have noted the thanks. I can tell you that the mods have. :)

Thank you Stubby,

I assume that means there is no "Thank you" thread and posting one will be OK.

The copy and paste is still not working. I wonder if that's at my end. I'm not computer literate enough to know.

ETA The copy and paste function does work when reporting threads. The problem seems to be only in this thread.

Yesterday the wiki wouldn't load on my phone anymore. I saw the upper part of the wikipages, but, for example, everything including and below the title of the page went grey (I could only see the title of the wiki). Now it's working fine again, but I was wonderig if the problems I was having yesterday could have something to do with the problems the forum was having yesterday? The wiki problems I had only happened when I wanted to look at the changes that were made to pages, btw, for as far as I can remember, looking at pages normally worked fine.

These problems didn't occur on my laptop, only on my phone. It has happened before. Could this have something to do with the forum having a difficult time?

If it's at the same time, yes, the enormous post-episode 2 traffic (FYI: more traffic than we've ever had following an episode; yes, including the Red Wedding) proved too much for even our present setup.

We're going to experiment with some changes to see if we can have both the wiki and the forum running at full capacity during the show, by splitting them across the servers -- forum on one server, wiki on the other -- to see if that load balancing will be sufficient. We'll see how it goes next week.

If it's at the same time, yes, the enormous post-episode 2 traffic (FYI: more traffic than we've ever had following an episode; yes, including the Red Wedding) proved too much for even our present setup.

I'm tempted to put together a comparison graph showing post-Red-Wedding and the spike we got yesterday.

At any rate, what happened was several sites explained the events of the episode, linking to pages on the wiki about various involved parties and the page on the Strangler. As those went out over RSS, lots of people clicked simultaneously; at its height, the wiki was serving hundreds of requests to the involved pages at a time.

While the server was still going (indeed, the wiki was slower but still responding fine), but the rate limiters kicked in and cut the forum off for a little while to ensure the wiki could keep responding in a timely manner.

This was actually precisely what the system was supposed to do, but it was a little unfortunate for the forums.

I know the servers must be overloaded, but just wondering if it's my computer or the forums - I have been getting the error message whenever I try to load a thread, and the 'quote' and 'edit' functions are not working for me. I'm on Windows 7.

I'm so excited about posting on here with all the new developments... it's disappointing that the forums aren't working for me. Sometimes if I refresh several times the thread will load... I guess it is hit and miss? I'm just wondering why other people are getting through to post and I am having to refresh several times before I can reply to anything.

It's the huge load on the server. We're getting levels of traffic that I wouldn't have predicted going into this season, and even the present two-server setup can't quite keep up.

There's something I want to do to load balance some, but can't do it right now.

Might be due to server overload again, but today, yesterday (not so strange) and at the end of last week, the wiki partly came up blank for me again, with only the banner showing. I get that it could mostly be because of the server being too busy, but it also happened on thursday or Friday (can't remember which exactly), which was a bit weird..

It happens to random pages, and usually, an hour later the page that had trouble loading loads fine again. But still, I thought I'd mention it.

Yes, had this issue for the first time. It's a load issue. Basically we have Varnish running, caching the wiki as it goes, but if the latest cache ends up partly broken because of a lag spike as it caches for the first time, it can end up with a cache. Try CTRL+R to see if you can force a fresh load.

Please Ran, have pity on me. I'm having troubles with my Tapatalk on my iPhone. I posted my problem in the Tapatalk thread and did not get a response.

The app kept crashing, so I deleted the app and re-downloaded from the Cloud. Now it says my email doesn't have an account, but I do of course...

Feather,

I believe there's an update I can do, but no time tonight. Shall try to sort it out tomorrow, and then we'll see if that helps.

I appreciate that, Ran. Whenever you can get to it is fine.

Hi,

i can't seem to find where/how to change my password.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Click on your username in the top right with the little arrow. Then click on My Settings. On the left side of that page is a list of settings categories, one of which is "email & password"

Ran, did you have a chance to perform the update for mobile Tapatalk? It still says I have no account. Just to clarify, my iPad Tapatalk is just fine and dandy. Just the mobile version.

Archived