116 replies to this topic

#1 AncalagonTheBlack

AncalagonTheBlack

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Warner Bros. TV and DC Comics are on a roll this development season with a third high-profile project. Constantine, a drama based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories, has sold to NBC with penalty. It is written/executive produced by The Mentalist executive producer Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer, the go-to writer for Warner Bros.’ feature DC adaptations. Constantine centers on John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.

John Constantine, who first appeared in 1985 as a recurring character in the horror series The Saga Of The Swamp Thing, was created by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and Jamie Delano. He was portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the 2005 feature Constantine and is rumored to be featured in the Justice League Dark feature Warner Bros. has in the works with Guillermo del Toro.

http://www.deadline....warner-bros-tv/

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack, 11 May 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#2 Morpheus

Morpheus

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Sounds like another bad take on John Constantine, The Mentalist connection doesn't inspire confidence, and if they are to do Hellblazer right it has to be on cable, not NBC. Another article I read made it sound as if it would be based on the New 52 Constantine as well, another strike against it if true.

Edited by Morpheus, 30 September 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#3 red snow

red snow

Prince of Procrastination

• Members
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

It could be interesting especially if they make it as dark as "hannibal". It should work better as a TV show than a film to be honest. Apparently the creators wont see a penny for the show though as they've somehow wangled it that this is connected to the sale of the Constantine film  (which they did get paid for)

#4 bloodsteel bitterraven

bloodsteel bitterraven

of the night...

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

First of all, there are no comics called Constantine.  The series is called "Hellblazer".  Also, they're on Vertigo Comics (which is part of DC Comics but acts independently) which isn't really a comics publisher.  Their graphic novels are some of the finest pieces of literature around.

#5 Morpheus

Morpheus

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

There is a comic called Constantine in the rebooted DC universe that is not up to classic Hellblazer standards

#6 drawkcabi

drawkcabi

lost in the past

• Members
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

So with ABC doing another Once Upon a Time Series, FOX getting into it with Sleepy Hollow it just sounds like NBC is keeping up with having the Grimm and Grimmer primetime line-up.

#7 AncalagonTheBlack

AncalagonTheBlack

Council Member

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

NBC's Constantine has found its leading man - "Criminal Minds" alum & Welsh actor Matt Ryan will star in the drama :

http://www.hollywood...stantine-682523

NBC'S CONSTANTINE ADDS " TRUE BLOOD" , "LOST " and "True Detective"  ACTORS :

True Blood alumna Lucy Griffiths has been cast as the female lead opposite Matt Ryan in NBCs drama pilot Constantine, from Warner Bros TV. Also cast in the project, based on the characters in DC Comics John Constantine stories are 'Lost' alum Harold Perrineau and Charles Halford (plays Reggie Ledoux  on True Detective).

Perrineau will play Manny, an authoritative angel assigned to watch over Constantine who has the power to step into other peoples bodies, and although he is meant only to observe, Manny will not hesitate to help out if he can save a life. 

Halford will play Chas, Constantines oldest friend and staunch companion who possesses powerful survival skills that might possibly be supernatural.

.When Liv (Griffiths), the daughter of a late friend, is targeted by demons, Constantine steps in to save her. Griffith's Liv is an offbeat young woman tired of her ordinary life who comes to discover that she has the ability of seeing the supernatural world among us, which makes her a key player in the battle between good and evil. Liv teams up with Constantine to save lives, master her power, and learn more about her late father.

http://www.deadline....ot-constantine/

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack, 08 March 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#8 red snow

red snow

• Members
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Interesting cast. I hope it can stand out from the likes of Grimm and Supernatural as it's bound to cover similar ground. I wonder how much of the DC lore it's allowed to mine? If Arrow is anything to go by they should be able to get quite a lot out of it. Swamp thing, Sandman (depending on whether Gaiman wants to), Etrigan, Justice league Dark and co all make for compelling guest stars and means the show already has a pretty rich fountain to draw from.

If the current shows stay on air and the likes of this, Flash and Gotham take off - TV is going to be as crowded as the movies with comic/superhero adaptations. Especially with Marvel's "defenders" shows landing in 2015.

#9 polishgenius

polishgenius

Social Justice Eater of the Rude

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Also, they're on Vertigo Comics (which is part of DC Comics but acts independently) which isn't really a comics publisher.

Afaik they literally publish nothing but comics.

It could be interesting especially if they make it as dark as "hannibal". It should work better as a TV show than a film to be honest. Apparently the creators wont see a penny for the show though as they've somehow wangled it that this is connected to the sale of the Constantine film  (which they did get paid for)

It would be great if it was like Hannibal, but I doubt it. That said, the existence of Hannibal at all gives hope that they'll at least allow the requisite darkness and horror to make the world work.

Edited by polishgenius, 08 March 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#10 RedEyedGhost

RedEyedGhost

Clone Club!

• Members
  • 7,045 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

First look at Matt Ryan as Constantine.

:lol:  That's my thought too.

#11 peterbound

peterbound

.04%'er

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

First of all, there are no comics called Constantine.  The series is called "Hellblazer".  Also, they're on Vertigo Comics (which is part of DC Comics but acts independently) which isn't really a comics publisher.  Their graphic novels are some of the finest pieces of literature around.

First of all, HB is cancelled.

Secondly, the only series featuring a character named Constantine is actually called Constintine, and published by DC.
http://en.wikipedia....tantine_(comics)

Do you even comic, bro?

#12 red snow

red snow

• Members
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:50 AM

It would be great if it was like Hannibal, but I doubt it. That said, the existence of Hannibal at all gives hope that they'll at least allow the requisite darkness and horror to make the world work.

Hannibal removes the excuse that they can't go dark enough to do Hellblazer/Constantine justice on network TV. If it's toned down crap then that's because that was their goal. Obviously they can't cuss and have sex without well-placed bedsheets but in terms of horror and gore Hannibal (and Dracula) have shown they can get away with a lot on network tv these days.

The costume and actor work well. Getting the look of Constantine is only a minimum though for the show to work, I'm still crossing my fingers but not holding my breath.

#13 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

alien witch from outer space

• Members
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

Won't bring myself go be excited until I see the pilot. I still want a UK tv version of Hellblazer one day, not sure I really like it being set in America again even if the actor is a brit.

I mean... It can't NOT be dark and gritty...

John Constantine is one of my favourite characters ever and I fucking love Hellblazer, so on one hand am super excited, on the other am already apprehensive and questioning the shit out of it.

#14 The_Gallows_Knight

The_Gallows_Knight

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

The big question is of course: Will he be smoking?

Because it's not Constantine without lots and lots of cigarettes.

#15 red snow

red snow

• Members
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Won't bring myself go be excited until I see the pilot. I still want a UK tv version of Hellblazer one day, not sure I really like it being set in America again even if the actor is a brit.

I mean... It can't NOT be dark and gritty...

John Constantine is one of my favourite characters ever and I fucking love Hellblazer, so on one hand am super excited, on the other am already apprehensive and questioning the shit out of it.

On the brightside, Keanu Reeves set a low bar for this one.

The big question is of course: Will he be smoking?

Because it's not Constantine without lots and lots of cigarettes.

Does network tv allow characters to smoke? I can't think of any.

It would be worse to not have him smoke and give an onscreen reason like a curse or something

#16 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

• Members
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

He needs to be a xhain-smoking scouse.

I quite like the keanu reeves film as a fun film in its own right i really, really enjoy it but as an adaption its fucking terrible, im worried about this being the same, enjoyable but a shitty adaption, i mean they've already moved it to America.

All i wanted was a late night UK show of HELLBLAZER

#17 MisterOJ

MisterOJ

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Well, in the promo photo, he appears to be smoking. You can't actually see the cigarette in his left hand, but there's pretty clearly smoke curling up from it.

#18 peterbound

peterbound

.04%'er

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

He needs to be a xhain-smoking scouse.

I quite like the keanu reeves film as a fun film in its own right i really, really enjoy it but as an adaption its fucking terrible, im worried about this being the same, enjoyable but a shitty adaption, i mean they've already moved it to America.

All i wanted was a late night UK show of HELLBLAZER

Well. His first major storyline did take place in America, so there is some precedence.

Edited by peterbound, 14 March 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#19 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

• Members
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Well. His first major storyline did take place in America, so there is some presidency.

Oh, sorry - I didn't want to come across anti-American there, I'm really not - if they are actually starting from the very beginning of the Hellblazer comics and working their way through I will be beyond excited :) I just don't know if this is a Constantine or Hellblazer adaption. I actually haven't read any of the stuff after Hellblazer, but I adore Hellblazer so much.

#20 peterbound

peterbound

.04%'er

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Oh, sorry - I didn't want to come across anti-American there, I'm really not - if they are actually starting from the very beginning of the Hellblazer comics and working their way through I will be beyond excited :) I just don't know if this is a Constantine or Hellblazer adaption. I actually haven't read any of the stuff after Hellblazer, but I adore Hellblazer so much.

Not talking about the new Constantine stuff, rather the American Gothic storyline from ST.

Listen. I love Constantine. He is one of the Things I Will Not Debate (along with my love for the Beatles, Stanley Kubrick, and my family). I just get too worked up about it, and I don't want to knock someone out for disagreeing with me over something so silly. I actually was going to get a tattoo of him pissing on the KoV but got talked out of it. Saying all that. I'm not going to nerd rage over this. It looks promising, and I'm going to give it an honest chance.

Edited by peterbound, 14 March 2014 - 10:56 PM.

Reply to this topic