Enlightening essays on Dany and Jon- ADWD (New Jon essay)

The essay isn't loading up for me for some reason, but I will admit I came here for Stannis. Depending on how much time I have at the house tonight, I might give it another try there (better Internet there than at work).

EDIT: Shaveplate being the poisoner was interesting and fairly convincing. However, I would suggest he might have been trying Hizdahr more than Dany. I don't think the killings stopping points to Dany's success. More like the Ghiscari thought they could corrupt easier than fighting her. One their own is co-ruler. Pits have been reopened. If I recall, this was around the time Dany allowed people to sell themselves in slavery. I'm not saying they would have succeeded. I'm just guessing that was the plan. The Yunkish peace was probably more straight up. After all, they got to go back to their normal.

She still succeeded in bringing peace to Meereen, regardless of whether she was being manipulated.

Dany only allowed people to sell themselves into slavery if they wished to leave Meereen. The city itself - as part of the peace deal - was allowed to remain free from slavery.

These essays are amazing, and make me rethink Dany's arc, I can see now how much time Martin spent working on the Meereen arc to build Dany's character.

I know - the essays are very well written and have enhance my thoughts about that story line.

The author of the essay does think that Dany is headed to a darker path (I’ve read some of his other stuff), perhaps an antagonist or villain.

Although I won’t deny that Dany is headed on a darker path I’m not so sure it can be easily labeled as that of an antagonist. Westerns is full of antagonist and villains, if fact the “bad guys” have been getting away literally with murder. There are so few “heroes” that have been able to score any points against them. It’s kind of ridiculous how far some of the villains are in this giant game of chest (think Varys and Littlefinger).

I think what Dany might become is a “hero” who isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty and isn’t afraid to do what will need to be done. Sometime good people must do bad things...

I know - the essay are very well written and have enhance my thoughts about that story line.

The author of the essay does think that Dany is headed to a darker path (I’ve read some of his other stuff), perhaps an antagonist or villain.

Although I won’t deny that Dany is headed on a darker path I’m not so sure it can be easily labeled as that of an antagonist. Westerns is full of antagonist and villains, if fact the “bad guys” have been getting away literally with murder. There are so few “heroes” that have been able to score any points against them. It’s kind of ridiculous how far some of the villains are in this giant game of chest (think Varys and Littlefinger).

I think what Dany might become is a “hero” who isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty and isn’t afraid to do what will need to be done. Sometime good people must do bad things...

Yes thats what I have always thought aswell that she is headed towards becoming an antihero like Stannis rather than an outright villain like Roose or Ramsay.

Yes thats what I have always thought aswell that she is headed towards becoming an antihero like Stannis rather than an outright villain like Roose or Ramsay.

GRRM does refer to Stannis as a "righteous man" perhaps that's where Dany is headed... ;)

Her thoughts in her last chapter in ADWD don't bode terribly well, IMHO.

I think that in the last chapter she realized that she compromise too much. In order to please the noble class she gave in to regressing some of the changes she had made. She shouldn’t have allowed people to sell themselves into slavery that goes against what she was fighting for and more importantly it undermined her abolitionist movement.

Duty over Love is one of the themes of the story, and although she chose duty it is my belief she choose duty to the wrong people. I think that by the end of ADWD she is in danger of going to much the other way “fire and blood”, but perhaps with the addition of a cooler mind (Tyrion) she can focus her righteous belief, balance out a bit.

Her thoughts in her last chapter in ADWD don't bode terribly well, IMHO.

Well, what are her thoughts in her last chapter? As far as I can tell, she basically decides to stop sacrificing her principles. Dany had the upperhand in Meereen when she was still in control of her dragons, so why did she compromise so much? If Dany had forced the Meereenese to end the insurgency through fire and blood, she could have defeated the Yunkai'i and saved Astapor before events spiralled out of control.

I don't think the message of the last chapter was "burn everything, war is better than peace". Rather I think the message was to use her strengths to achieve the best that she can.

Dany has always cared about justice. "Justice... that's what kings are for" she tells Jorah. Of course at this point her idea of justice was overlapping with vengeance. Has she learned the difference from her time in Meereen? Would Dany at the end of ADwD still crucify 163 slavers?

I think we'll know the answer to this question as soon as we find out what she does with Mago and Jhaqo. The fact that GRRM described Mago as a "recurring character" gives me hope that Dany has learned to use what's available to her to make long-term changes rather than being consumed by short-sighted vengeance.

Well, what are her thoughts in her last chapter? As far as I can tell, she basically decides to stop sacrificing her principles. Dany had the upperhand in Meereen when she was still in control of her dragons, so why did she compromise so much? If Dany had forced the Meereenese to end the insurgency through fire and blood, she could have defeated the Yunkai'i and saved Astapor before events spiralled out of control.

I don't think the message of the last chapter was "burn everything, war is better than peace". Rather I think the message was to use her strengths to achieve the best that she can.

Dany has always cared about justice. "Justice... that's what kings are for" she tells Jorah. Of course at this point her idea of justice was overlapping with vengeance. Has she learned the difference from her time in Meereen? Would Dany at the end of ADwD still crucify 163 slavers?

I think we'll know the answer to this question as soon as we find out what she does with Mago and Jhaqo. The fact that GRRM described Mago as a "recurring character" gives me hope that Dany has learned to use what's available to her to make long-term changes rather than being consumed by short-sighted vengeance.

Thank you for saying it much better than I could say it. :)

Thats a fair assessment

Archived