What are you reading in October

mashiara

Sadly, I got tired of Best Served Cold before it ended. The first half was great - a lot of fun if your idea of fun is somewhat disturbed. But the characterization got extremely repetitive. In the trilogy, it was better because it was broken up by POVs in more locations and the writing was new to me, but after a while, this book felt like a collection of character tics. I started expecting someone to cross her arms under her breasts and tug her braid. This is actually a pet peeve for me in several books and something I have a hard time overlooking. The worst is when the author keeps directly telling you what the character is like or reminds you of the way they look more than a few times (ahem, Donaldson), and I felt that it was done a little here with Morva's scars, but in general, I don't like when the author explains how someone does or says something over and over and over instead of making their character distinctions more subtle. Friendly's tic didn't bother me because it was clear that it was an unusual bit of OCD, but I don't know anyone in real life who repeats catch phases as much as some of the other characters.

I'm currently 70% or so through Crossroads of Twilight ( never thought i'd make it past page 100), and from there i plan on barreling through the last four books in the Wheel of Time.

Still waiting on your opinion of Rand's bath in book 7 :P

Reading 'Sold for Endless Rue' by Madeleine Robins. Will spend the rest of the month on CapClave authors. Will wind up the end of the month with a reread of Ray Bradbury like I always do every October. :D

Planning to finally read The Fault in Our Stars. (I know it's YA, but I'm intrigued.) It's been sitting on my shelf for so long.

Also I plan to pick up MaddAddam and The Lowlands. I almost feel like I should reread the first two books before MaddAddam, but I don't really have the time. I'm really looking forward to The Lowlands. I've loved everything by Jhumpa Lahiri so far.

ETA: After seeing The Daily Show tonight I have to add The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a 13 Year Old Boy with Autism

Sadly, I got tired of Best Served Cold before it ended. The first half was great - a lot of fun if your idea of fun is somewhat disturbed. But the characterization got extremely repetitive. In the trilogy, it was better because it was broken up by POVs in more locations and the writing was new to me, but after a while, this book felt like a collection of character tics. I started expecting someone to cross her arms under her breasts and tug her braid. This is actually a pet peeve for me in several books and something I have a hard time overlooking. The worst is when the author keeps directly telling you what the character is like or reminds you of the way they look more than a few times (ahem, Donaldson), and I felt that it was done a little here with Morva's scars, but in general, I don't like when the author explains how someone does or says something over and over and over instead of making their character distinctions more subtle. Friendly's tic didn't bother me because it was clear that it was an unusual bit of OCD, but I don't know anyone in real life who repeats catch phases as much as some of the other characters.

I had a tough time finishing that one, too. It was just too damn repetitive, and he never actually made me care about Monza. It's my least favorite Abercrombie book by quite a significant margin, but thankfully he follows it up with my favorite book of his.

Finished The Alloy of Law. Fast, decent read, but so far my least favourite Sanderson book. The plot isn't terribly complex, and the constant descriptions of characters using their powers in endless fighting scenes get a bit too much. Also the feisty heroine is a bit less feisty than usual.

Waiting for Republic of Thieves to arrive on my e-reader, as neither of you meanies wanted to pass on their ARC to me :P

I'm really glad I finished a re-read on The Lies of Locke Lamora. I forgot a whole bunch of major plot points, however the barrel of horse piss scene remains vivid as ever!

I started reading a non-fiction book called Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss. After that I will be doing a re-read of Red Seas Under Red Skies.

I am struggling through the first Mongoliad book. Things just randomly...happen. There seems to be little telegraphing about what are important events and what are not, if that makes sense? I find it difficult to follow and a very uneven pacing. It's not bad, but I don't know that I'd say I'm enjoying it.

Finished Shift last night. It was good, but...

The Great Uprising, what a disappointment. From what I saw, it would've been more interesting to see why, how, Silo 40 went dark, since it seems there's still people living in it. They called to Silo 17 after all. That would fit my idea of a "great uprising" more than the story of a failed rebellion in Silo 18.

It wasn't really necessary to see how Silo 17's uprising had gone through, I think Jimmy's early story was best left untold. It added nothing. It was as if that part of the story was there just to give us a character we already knew (and liked/felt sorry for) from Wool.

I liked the story of how the silos started, I enjoyed the Silo 1 parts more than the others. I kind of knew Anna was behind Donald's assignment to Silo 1 and his getting separated from his wife. I also found interesting the fact that there's still green grass beyond the hills where the silos are. It makes me wonder whether other people survived the attack of the nanos, how extensive the damage was.

In any case, the book was still a page-turner for me, I read it pretty quickly.

Now on to Deadhouse Gates, with no interruptions, I'm not starting Dust until I finish with that book, I got hooked after chapter 5, there was a part I found very interesting and surprising (it was probably foreshadowed, but I didn't expect it!)

I've been buying the nice Library of America hardcover versions of Philip K. Dick.

Currently reading Ubik.

PKD's idea of talking to recently-dead-but-not-100%-dead people in "cold-pac" is creepy.

Next I'll read The Man in the High Castle to explore the likely possibility

if America would have been better off if it had lost WWII.

Finished Shift last night. It was good, but...

The Great Uprising, what a disappointment. From what I saw, it would've been more interesting to see why, how, Silo 40 went dark, since it seems there's still people living in it. They called to Silo 17 after all. That would fit my idea of a "great uprising" more than the story of a failed rebellion in Silo 18.

It wasn't really necessary to see how Silo 17's uprising had gone through, I think Jimmy's early story was best left untold. It added nothing. It was as if that part of the story was there just to give us a character we already knew (and liked/felt sorry for) from Wool.

I liked the story of how the silos started, I enjoyed the Silo 1 parts more than the others. I kind of knew Anna was behind Donald's assignment to Silo 1 and his getting separated from his wife. I also found interesting the fact that there's still green grass beyond the hills where the silos are. It makes me wonder whether other people survived the attack of the nanos, how extensive the damage was.

In any case, the book was still a page-turner for me, I read it pretty quickly.

Now on to Deadhouse Gates, with no interruptions, I'm not starting Dust until I finish with that book, I got hooked after chapter 5, there was a part I found very interesting and surprising (it was probably foreshadowed, but I didn't expect it!)

I think I know what you're talking about in Deadhouse Gates. It's funny how obvious that revelation is if you go back to Gardens of the Moon. It surprised me too.

I think I know what you're talking about in Deadhouse Gates. It's funny how obvious that revelation is if you go back to Gardens of the Moon. It surprised me too.

Yeah, I think we're talking about the same part :lol:

Shadowthrone is Kellanved. It's so obvious when you think back, it makes so much sense, yet I wouldn't have guessed.

So I changed modules at uni today, and it turns out I have to read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and A Time to Kill by John Grisham this term. I find this pretty fucking awesome. Starting To Kill a Mockingbird tonight.

That's an excellent reading list. I very much enjoyed (in different ways) both books. A compare and contrast would be entertaining.

I am struggling through the first Mongoliad book. Things just randomly...happen. There seems to be little telegraphing about what are important events and what are not, if that makes sense? I find it difficult to follow and a very uneven pacing. It's not bad, but I don't know that I'd say I'm enjoying it.

I felt exactly the same. It's not that it wasn't entertaining but it certainly wasn't coherent.

I'm really glad I finished a re-read on The Lies of Locke Lamora. I forgot a whole bunch of major plot points, however the barrel of horse piss scene remains vivid as ever!

I started reading a non-fiction book called Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss. After that I will be doing a re-read of Red Seas Under Red Skies.

This made me check amazon and Lies was 1.60. Looks like a retread is coming up soon.

So far in October I've read "the Emperors Knife" which was poorly executed but had nice underlying ideas.

Currently reading Saints Astray by Carey and Shadow and Betrayal by Abraham as a retread. Shadow was better than I remembered so looking forward to the rest of Betrayal. Also nearly finished listening to Discount Armageddon by a seanan McGuire and Part 1 of Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

Archived