Would the RW be less tragic if Catelyn had survived it?

Alayne's Shadow.

It was good she died. No parent should go through the pain of having to watch their children die let alone outlive them. Ned dead, ALL children dead acc to her. Nothing to live for.

You may be right about Catelyn. But Queen Anne of England was pregnant 17 times and all her children died. Neither that nor her own poor health stopped her from being a good, effective, and popular queen.

Catelyn got the end that Catelyn wanted at that moment. I've always felt it was a mercy for them to kill her. But had she survived, n captivity Catelyn would have been treated graciously, though she would have still fiercely hated her captors and planned escape and revenge. She would have pinned her hope on Sansa; probably eventually she'd have heard strange rumours about Bran and Rickon and Arya. So she might have found light at the end of that dreadful tunnel. She might have found triumph.

You may be right about Catelyn. But Queen Anne of England was pregnant 17 times and all her children died. Neither that nor her own poor health stopped her from being a good, effective, and popular queen.

Catelyn got the end that Catelyn wanted at that moment. I've always felt it was a mercy for them to kill her. But had she survived, n captivity Catelyn would have been treated graciously, though she would have still fiercely hated her captors and planned escape and revenge. She would have pinned her hope on Sansa; probably eventually she'd have heard strange rumours about Bran and Rickon and Arya. So she might have found light at the end of that dreadful tunnel. She might have found triumph.

I agree. Life is full possibilities.

I think it would make it more tragic. For a mother to witness her son's slaughter it would make life unbearable for her, especially since she thought most of her other children were dead.

:agree: This. Cat was spared the full impact, for three days. Just enough of her came back to seek vengeance.

My two cents: one less death doesn't make a tragedy any less of a tragedy, but, still the idea that the widowed Catelyn knows that her eldest boy is dead, thinks her younger two are dead, knows one daughter is in the hands of the enemy, and the other is missing is just as horrible to live with, even knowing what befell her in canon.

This is quite...disturbing.

You should see her opinion on individuals that have actually physically abused a child and looked away from the murder of two innocent babes, sorry I forgot she actually feels sorry for Robert. But for sure she probably disdains anyone that would contemplate burning their innocent nephew alive, oh wait she has spoken favorably on Stannis. However, I am sure her opinion on someone that actually attempts to murder an innocent child will get all of her hatred, oh wait again she considers Jaime a good person. Now, I am sure she will only have terrible things to say for an individual who has actually murdered two children, damn it seems she has also mention finding Karstark to be honorable.

I think Cat surviving would have been excruciating for her for a long, long time. Even if she lived, she might never have known that Bran and Rickon were still alive. We don't know how long they or Arya or Sansa will stay alive or that any of them would ever be reunited with Cat. Meanwhile, I think she would have tortured herself with guilt over Robb. (I'm not saying I think she's guilty, but I think any mother in her situation would blame herself.)

The RW was heartbreaking but the fact that Cat now is Stoneheart is insult upon massive injury IMO. I had to stop reading for a while after that bloodbath, but the fact that a piece of Cat -- a thing made of hate when she was so loving -- lives on, it's too much. I wish GRRM would let her rest.

My god Minsc. Do you and David have such a problem with people disliking Cat that you have to stalk them and berate them every time they post? Leave JQC alone.

Yes

However, if I was really stalking you think I would have posted earlier then almost two days after the initial post.

I think Cat surviving would have been excruciating for her for a long, long time. Even if she lived, she might never have known that Bran and Rickon were still alive. We don't know how long they or Arya or Sansa will stay alive or that any of them would ever be reunited with Cat. Meanwhile, I think she would have tortured herself with guilt over Robb. (I'm not saying I think she's guilty, but I think any mother in her situation would blame herself.)

The RW was heartbreaking but the fact that Cat now is Stoneheart is insult upon massive injury IMO. I had to stop reading for a while after that bloodbath, but the fact that a piece of Cat -- a thing made of hate when she was so loving -- lives on, it's too much. I wish GRRM would let her rest.

She did survive. :)

My god Minsc. Do you and David have such a problem with people disliking Cat that you have to stalk them and berate them every time they post? Leave JQC alone.

Don't bother with them, Seriously don't. Just put them in your ignore list if you want. This is what I have done. I know that whatever they write doesn't matter for me, so why bother reply to them or even read what they write?

It definitely would have been less tragic. And the fact that it was in Cats POV made it worse.

I cant imagine how anyone would feel satisfied with what happened to Cat.

I have no problem with anyone disliking Cat. However, when false arguments are presented to prove that point, its not wrong to say that theyre incorrect. Im not saying all Cat arguments are invalid. Its just that most arguments follow the same flawed pattern with the same flawed arguments.

Another problem I have is the double standard when judging Cat as opposed to other characters.

Archived