NHL 2013-14 - Yes, there's a thread for that

Jabronius Maximus

I'm surprised nobody thinks Carey Price will be an option in goal for Canada?

Oh he totally is an option, just slipped my mind for some reason. But with him it's the same problem with Luongo and Crawford; quite good/often great, with some consistency issues (and all three occasionally fall flat on their faces).

Price is definitely a possibly to start in goal at the Olympics, and a favourite depending if one's a Habs fan. I'm not so sure, as he's almost as bad as Luongo in terms of questioning reliability. Not that it matters to me, as I'm probably rooting for the US this time around. They've got a pretty good D core, and some young guys that can chip in. I'm liking their chances this time.

So, looking at the countries that will really contend:

USA- Quick, Howard

Canada- Lou, Crow

Russia- #1 Cop, Bryz

Sweden- King Henrik, Lehner

Finland- Rask, ????

Czech- Vokoun, ????

Slovakia- Halak and Budaj, maybe?

You know that Tim Thomas is playing for Florida this season? It's crazy that he might not even be one of USA's top three right now, after his break from hockey...

Canada - Luongo, Price, Crawford, etc.

Russia - Varlamov is off to a good start, could contend for the backup role

Sweden - Lundqvist, Viktor Fasth (Lehner is too inexperienced)

Finland - Rinne, Rask, Lehtonen, Niemi, etc. (an embarassment of riches)

Czech - Vokoun is suffering from blood clots, probably won't be healthy enough to play... Pavelev is the starter I'm thinking of right now

Switzerland will probably be able to contend with the Slovaks at least... Hiller, Gerber (playing in the NLA)?

Who do you see starting? Sergei Bobrovsky maybe?

Yes, I currently see the reigning Vezina winner starting.

Roy vs. Boudreau was wonderfully entertaining. :thumbsup: God, I've missed hockey! :cheers:

Czech - Vokoun is suffering from blood clots, probably won't be healthy enough to play... Pavelev is the starter I'm thinking of right now

Yeah, Pens seem to be estimating he'll be out for 3-6months. I wouldn't count on him being able to even play by then, let alone start.

I'm settled in for the Devils @ Pittsburgh... Weird to see Marty on the bench.

I'd really hoped to be able to get tickets to that game. Shame.

edit: Though the Devils seem to have played much better the second period.

edit2: I'm surprised people are saying Rinne over Rask for Finland. Maybe its because I'm a Pens fan traumatized by what Rask did to them last season, but still.

edit3: since its not worth a new post: vvv Its been pretty good, especially for the Pens. MAF is back to his weirdly good self, it seems. No telling how long it'll last.

Too many sports on!... wish I could catch some of that Pens-Devils game, though, I enjoy those teams. Man, I used to hate the Devils back in the day.

Well, my fear the Devils will struggle to score with the loss of Kovalchuck and Clarkson looks valid, shutout 3-0 by the Pens in the first game of the season.

The opportunities in the second period were there. I thought they controlled the puck well in the Pens' zone, but they just couldn't finish. So frustrating.

Heh, Sean McIndoe wrote a preview for Grantland where he broke the teams up into four groups (I guess in honor of the new realignment) - Cup contenders, disasters, better-than-you-think teams, and I-have-no-idea teams. His ceiling for the Devils was winning the Stanley Cup, and his floor was worst team in the league. I enjoyed that.

Archived