Half serious prediction about Gendry.

DeBasilisk

We know Stannis is willing to legitimize bastards and we know Stannis knows about Gendry's true parentage. While I grant this is way off the wall given there are only two books left, I can't help but feel he has a role to play. Specifically, I believe something will happen to Shireen, either as a sacrifice by Mel, killed at Val's orders or just dieing by greyscale, and Stannis will need an heir. Lawful neutral man he is, he may very well turn to Roberts oldest son. I'm not sure on the age, but if it's Gendry rather than Edric Storm he may look there, especially if Mel encourages him to do so. In any event, Edric is hiding over the sea incognito whe reports of Ser Gendry could easily make their way to Stannis.

I ultimately believe Stannis will have an epiphany, die for the realm in a great battle and never sit the iron throne, and I'm not foolish enough to think ANY Baratheon has a future as King of the Realms. That being said, I wonder if Ser Gendry Blackstag doesn't end up continuing house Baratheon, possibly even (longshot here) with Arya as his wife.

I think it is extremely likely that Gendry will become the next Lord of the Stormlands, being legitimized by Stannis. Edrik may become Lord of Dragonstone.

There are supposedly 13 little Baratheon Bastards, but we know Barra and probably the twins are dead. After Gendry, Edrik and Mya this still leaves 7 others - Brella at the inn is a likely candidate

Stannis at least strongly suspects - he was with Jon Arryn when Jon questioned Gendry about his mother. Given that Gendry has accentuated Baratheon look....Stannis just needs to do the math.

Oh, right I almost forgot about that.

BwB are either still in the Riverlands or somewhere in the neck, there seems to be some disagreement. Either way there are Stark sympathizes near. BwB members have been in contact with Edmure (Tom Seven) and likely the Blackfish. The BwB were originally "Kings Men" sworn to the Baratheon throne. Thorns could have a vision of Gendry if we wanted to just throw that out there. Not to mention they are led by UnCat. All that given, I think when Stannis takes WF it's a fair assumption some BwB members could work their way North to help root out the Boltons and Gendry could go with them. If Rickon turns up with Wyman, UnCat herself could make the trip. I think its not unlikely the BwB ends up with Stannis given the shared LoL worship, and Stannis may recognize Ser Gendry by sight.

I know that was poorly constructed - just thinking aloud.

What? Why would they Aegon IV Robert's bastards? It's already been discussed how rare it is that a bastard is even legitimized at all, so how/why would Jon or Dany -- especially Dany -- legitimize *Robert's* bastards?

If this series has taught me anything it's that characters often do not get what they "deserve," with Janos Slynt being one of the exceptions. I have no reason to believe Gendry will ever be legitimized or in any way rewarded, just because we like him.

I think it is extremely likely that Gendry will become the next Lord of the Stormlands, being legitimized by Stannis. Edrik may become Lord of Dragonstone.

There are supposedly 13 little Baratheon Bastards, but we know Barra and probably the twins are dead. After Gendry, Edrik and Mya this still leaves 7 others - Brella at the inn is a likely candidate

16 bastard-Barras actually. Edric Mya and Gendry we know of, Little Barra was killed on Cercei's orders, we have the girl who nearly rings Gendry's bell in the peach (awkward...), which twins are you referring to? I can remember any twins so if you can shed light on this :) Also, I suspect he has a bastard on Estermont from the visit where Cersei believes Joffrey was conceived. Trying to work out where the others are though... I really don't know.

Now I think; were the twins from a woman at Casterly rock and Cersei had them killed? I seem to remember that now

Jamie could Recognise Gendry.With Storms end taken it doesnt really matter to the lannisters but if the BwB goes south with gendry to reclaim his lands then jamie has nailed two birds with one pen. Tyrion isnt the only clever one. " i see your face and i know your blood but a lord must have a castle. seize storms end in the name of the crown and be aknowledged Gendry Baratheon." divide the brotherhood between uncat and her thirst for vengeance and thier previous loyalties to king bob. Theres a number of dornishman and stormlanders in the brotherhood as well as northman and rivermen. which would be an interesting contrast to the golden comapny not to mention the rhaegar -robert/ faegon-gendry paralell

I am not sure how big an impact Gendry will have in the last books, but I don't see why he or anyone else needs to be made legit for them to have an impact. I see the whole system going to hell as much more likely than one of the bastards being legitimized before they can do whatever they are meant to do. Orys was a bastard who had a large role in the conquest and maintanence afterward, and I have seen no indication he was ever legitimized, though surely Aegon the Conquerer had all the power to do so.

Stannis at least strongly suspects - he was with Jon Arryn when Jon questioned Gendry about his mother. Given that Gendry has accentuated Baratheon look....Stannis just needs to do the math.

But does Stannis know that Gendry is still alive? Cersei went on a killing rampage against all of Robert's bastards, after all. For all Stannis knows, Edric is the last one.

[Disclaimer: I am still reading ADWD, and am currently on chapter 12, so if he meets Gendry later, please don't hate me for not knowing about it.]

No he doesn't know, and at this point I doubt he cares. Gendry was only ever evidence of Cersei and Jamie's incestuous relationship and the royal siblings in fact being bastards

True, but if/when Shireen dies Stannis has to know the Baratheon line is dead unless he legitimizes someone. I can't help but think he would care at least a certain degree about that.

Archived