TWOW prologue?

The overall theme of the prologues is magic or mystical forces.

So:

AGOT: White Walkers/Wights

ACOK: Melisandre/ Magic of the Red God

ASOS: White Walker attack

AFFC: Faceless man dissolving Pate and stealing his identity

ADWD: Skinchanger; more White Walkers/Wights

We also have the North/South alternating pattern which points to a Southern POV in TWOW. It's been discussed here before I think about how we've seen few examples of the power of the Seven. It wouldn't surprise me to see a KL based prologue that demonstrate the High Sparrow's mystical powers.

The overall theme of the prologues is magic or mystical forces.

So:

AGOT: White Walkers/Wights

ACOK: Melisandre/ Magic of the Red God

ASOS: White Walker attack

AFFC: Faceless man dissolving Pate and stealing his identity

ADWD: Skinchanger; more White Walkers/Wights

We also have the North/South alternating pattern which points to a Southern POV in TWOW. It's been discussed here before I think about how we've seen few examples of the power of the Seven. It wouldn't surprise me to see a KL based prologue that demonstrate the High Sparrow's mystical powers.

Maybe the prologue is the high septon in Kings Landing and Varys kills him to delay Cersei's trial causing more chaos?

I don't think the pattern on the odd books (GoT, SoS, DwD) is being a brother of the NW, its being north of the wall, and having something to do with magic that's prevalent beyond the wall.

GoT- Will- slain by an Other

SoS- Chett- slain by an other

DwD- Varamyr- killed during a skinchange

Meanwhile, the even books (CoK, FfC) center around maesters/maester novices, who are killed by magic not from Westeros

CoK- Cressen- poisons himself with the strangler

FfC- Pate- bites on poisoned FM coin

All this being said, if George follows the pattern, I think the WoW prologue character will be Maester Lomys of Highgarden, as the Ironborn attack. It would hold true to this previous pattern (if it is as much), if Euron uses the warlocks he has prisoner to somehow attack Highgarden and kill people, Maester Lomys included. So, Maester Lomys will be my official guess until WoW comes out.

I like the pattern, but think it will either be in Essos or the wall.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping it's Marwyn.

But that means he will die before he has made any real contribution to the plot, making his introduction in Sam's chapter a pointless waste of time.

The prologues have all had some relevance to the plot of that book, and I would say that there has been a Beyond the Wall - South/Maester - Beyond the Wall pattern. So my guesses are:

TWoW: Maester at Storm's End as Aegon takes the castle. Aegon is almost certain to have a large impact on many storylines in TWoW.

ADoS: Bowen Marsh (assuming he is still alive, maybe Alliser Thorne if he isn't? Or possibly even Benjen?), witnessing the collapse of the Wall and the Other's passing south of it. It is a given that the Others are going to be one of the main focuses of the final book, and it is almost a given that the Wall will collapse, so I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that the ADoS prologue will feature the collapse of the Wall.

2 sets don't define a pattern. I think the ACTUAL pattern (if one exists at all) is North/South and not North/Maester. We may also get an Essos prologue.

Hoping for a Daario or Shavepate then. Daario could end with him, ah, "learning to fly"....just not very well :) Shavepate could end with his death after revealing he was the poisoner (As many believe, and on a re-read I kind of began to understand)

I'm hoping for Cotter Pyke's maester, the one who writes his letters. Really curious to find out more on the situation at Hardhome. Pycelle could shed some light on the truth about Aegon, and there's Marwyn and Qyburn too.

How about an as yet unknown Skagosi clan leader? This could serve to bring together a number of story threads that appear to be converging in the area on the Bay of Seals within a rough triangle that has its corners at Hardhome, Skagos and Eastwatch. This could serve to tie together:

1. The potential location of Rickon, Osha and Shaggydog; either on Skagos or at Hardhome.

2. Davos Seaworth and his attempt to persuade these three to return with him to White Harbour/Wyman Manderly/Stannis.

3. Cotter Pyke and the attempts to rescue the Wildlings at Hardhome; "dead things in the water" etc.

4. Attitudes of the Skagosi towards involving themselves in the war against the Boltons.

5. Potentially, the reaction of Eastwatch to the Bowen Marsh led attack on Jon Snow and its aftermath, assuming that they know about it. Having one of the Eastwatch galleys docked or driven ashore there could be a way to do this.

6. A POV description of Skagos, at least one of its settlements/fortresses and an introduction to its clans and social structure.

7. The possibility of a Skagosi relating further information about the Others.

So most of the suggestions above usually are based on supposition that :

a) there is some fixed pattern of prologues - like north/south or others/maisters

b) TWOW prologue will be more like AGOT or ASOS prologues - i.e. shows something connected with events early in the book.

But what of there is no pattern? and also at this point we have certain vague ideas about the events in the beginning of TWOW - but we know much less about events that happen at the end of the book -so for instance if at the end of TWOW we have someting happening in Casterly Rock - there is a good chance that prologue will be happening there.

Only ASOS prologue describes the event that directly leads into the Sam's chapters in that book, while

The prologue of the ACOK is connected with beheading early in the book, but it is also used to introduce the menace that reappears much later in the series

ACOK prologue introduced the characters (Stannis and company) that were not shown in the first book and that turned out to be the game changers in the middle of the book.

AFFC and ADWD prologues have stories that are linked with the events at the very end of the book (and in case of ADWD the varamyr prologue only hints at Jon,s varging/ressurection possibility- we don't even see it in that book).

I don't believe there is any pattern of Prologues. Martin uses them to advance the story, and to introduce the elements that play out / have influence on the developments later in the book.

I believe if GRRM needs it, TWOW prologue can be from any place in essos or westeros, involving characters of any background and profession.

AGoT: North of the Wall=Ice - first encounter with WW's.

AKoC: South of the Wall=fire - Melissandre and her gifts

ASoS: North of the Wall=ice - prequal to the battle at the Fist of the First Men

AFoC: South of the Wall=fire(?) - Pate gets a key for something at the citadel

ADwD: North of the Wall=ice - Varamyr class on Skinchanging 101

fairly obvious to see where I'm headed:

TWoW: South of the Wall=fire

Others have made apoint that every prologue has ended up with someone dying:

AGoT: Waymar

AKoC: Maester Cressen

ASos: actually no one; but this is lead up to the battle at FoFM.

AFoc: What's his name.....it's late and I'm getting lazy.

ADwD: Varamyr; amongst others

Which brings us back to the South of the Wall; and someone on the fire side of the equation going to die.

Anyting beyond this is merely a crap shoot. Your guess is as good as mine. But the smart bets on South of the Wall and something assocaited with fire.

Others have made apoint that every prologue has ended up with someone dying:

AGoT: Waymar

AKoC: Maester Cressen

ASos: actually no one; but this is lead up to the battle at FoFM.

AFoc: What's his name.....it's late and I'm getting lazy.

ADwD: Varamyr; amongst others

In ASos chett was pov and the others kill him he is found by sam as a wight so actually in every prologue the pov dies

Archived