TWOW prologue?

If it's going to be a maester then It will be Marwyn, either heading to Mereen or just arriving on the scene of chaos. judging by the time frame from when we see Marwyn leave Oldtown, he should be right behind Victarion, given calm seas and good wind of course.

Would serve the purpose of giving insight into the glass candles and what Marwyn knows that pretty much know one else does. about the magic from dragons, his intentions for Dany, etc...

I truly believe we will get a Ghost POV, or a POV at the wall, in the middle of all the chaos. There is no way for us to see anything happening there, except for Melisandre. There is a lot to tell and Mel will not get too many POVs...I believe she will die in TWOW.

GRRM has a lot to tell in relation to the events happening at the wall. They are very important to the story. The Prologue always has some sort of tie-in to the end of the book/end of a story arc...my examples:

GOT: PRO - WHITE WALKERS(supernatural returning for first time in a long time)

GOT: ENDING - DANY CHAPTER(DRAGONS returning for first time in a long time)

COK: PRO - CRESSEN (MELs Power in relation to affecting Stannis)

ENDING - STANNIS losing battle of blackwater(by wildfire) because Mel was not with him

SOS: PRO - NW BROTHERS planning on betraying LC of NW

ENDING - JON SNOW becomes LC of NW

AFFC: PRO - FACELESSMAN infiltrates Citadel

ENDING - SAMWELL TARLY buddys up with facelessman

ADWD: PRO - VARAMYR's Body dies and he lives on inside his wolf

ENDING - HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ENDING - JON SNOWS BODY DIES AND HE LIVES ON INSIDE HIS WOLF

THE PROLOGUE WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH SAMWELL TARLY AT THE CITADEL WHICH I DOUBT

BUT MOST LIKELY IT WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH JON SNOW AND/OR THE EVENTS/PEOPLE SURROUNDING HIM

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY IS THAT WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH DANY

The where of the prologue is likely not at or north of the wall given what we have so far.

First, the book is to be called The Winds of Winter - I think GRRM does seem to like to be a bit of a contrarian.

Second, the only pattern I find reliable is the North/South switch for each book's prologue and last book was north.

I've heard that GRRM wants to cull some of the POVs so I think there is a distinct possibility that one of them may be the prologue this book - kills two birds with one stone.

Cool but highly unlikely would be an Other or an un like Coldhands or unCat. Even more fun (because I want him dead) would be Petyr Baelish.

My vote though is for somewhere we've never been like Highgarden or one of the places under attack from the Ironborn. Volantis as the slave revolt begins would also be interesting. I'd like to see Greywater Watch, but not if it means death comes there.

I think it will be Marwyn, but I don't think he will die right away. I think he will probably be lethally wounded, either in the battle itself (though I'm sure he'd try to avoid the fighting) or from an encounter with someone sent from the Citadel. But he will make it to Camp Dany, where someone realises his importance and tries to keep him alive long enough to get some useful information out of him. Now, who could that be? Who is right now outside Meereen intending to help Danaerys somehow, and has read lots of books about dragons on the way from Westeros?

I think it will be Marwyn, but I don't think he will die right away. I think he will probably be lethally wounded, either in the battle itself (though I'm sure he'd try to avoid the fighting) or from an encounter with someone sent from the Citadel. But he will make it to Camp Dany, where someone realises his importance and tries to keep him alive long enough to get some useful information out of him. Now, who could that be? Who is right now outside Meereen intending to help Danaerys somehow, and has read lots of books about dragons on the way from Westeros?

If Marwyn has to die in the first chapter, I really hope he dies while killing the agent form the Citadel sent to kill the dragons.

• 5 months later...

First, the book is to be called The Winds of Winter - I think GRRM does seem to like to be a bit of a contrarian.

Agreed. The book will start somewhere cold. It may very well be south of the Wall though. The Riverlands or the Vale could have become quite cold, or even King's Landing.

Wherever the prologue is set, I would expect us to either learn of the fall of the Wall or the Others having bypassed it. The series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire", and I expect TWOW to be about the Others threatening not just the North, but the whole continent of Westeros. Now that Jon Snow has been removed, there is no one good enough to lead the NW in its most important battle.

The book should end with a hope of "fire" saving the day, in the form of Dany and her dragons finally coming to the rescue... Just a bit too late to save most people. Given what we know about past winters, the 6th book will likely be very dark.

So... A prologue with cold, and death. Otherwise, it would make a mockery of the title.

So... A prologue with cold, and death. Otherwise, it would make a mockery of the title.

*Book called A Dance With Dragons*

*Has prologue set in the cold and snow with no dragon to be seen*

The name of the book has little to no impact on the content of the prologue.

*Book called A Dance With Dragons*

*Has prologue set in the cold and snow with no dragon to be seen*

The name of the book has little to no impact on the content of the prologue.

Varamyr specifically mentions Jon Snow in the Prologue who gives the dragon element if you are looking for one.

Source, please? I'd like to read about it.

If that's the case, than GRRM must really dislike maesters :P. Just look at all the prologues so far:

AGOT: brother of NW

ACOK: maester

ASOS: brother of NW (2)

AFFC: wannabe maester (2)

ADWD: wildling (breaking a pattern)

WOW: measter (3)

So, if WOW prologue features a measter (again), I really have no clue who might that be. Probably completely new character (like Cressen), or minor character insignificant to the story so far (like Chett).

There wasn't a pattern break if you consider anybody north of the wall as the category for the odd numbered books.

I don't think there is a pattern. GRRM makes the Prologue where he needs to do to tell his story. I think if there is a pattern, the Prologue is related to one of the main cliffhangers in the end of that particular book. Of course this does not work all the time.

Yeah there's no real pattern and each prologue is kind of an anti-climax in terms of relativity to the rest of the books.

Game: Others return... but not really yet. Waymar comes back but that's not a "huge" moment in terms of the whole book

Clash: Melisandre is powerful... and yet her powers aren't used to their full potential by the end and the side she fights for loses (the brilliance of bringing in his first "magical" character only to see her influence the plot little)

Storm: the Others finally come... but we only see Samwell kill one. north of the wall doesn't get that much story line

Feast: faceless man in oldtown... ignored until the very end

Dance: Varamyr is a skinchanger... but skinchanging doesn't exactly affect the plot yet, only for Bran, Arya, and Jon, but then again they're the main characters.

Dance: Varamyr is a skinchanger... but skinchanging doesn't exactly affect the plot yet, only for Bran, Arya, and Jon, but then again they're the main characters.

This Prologue is obviously given us to figure out what will happen to Jon after the stabbing.

This Prologue is obviously given us to figure out what will happen to Jon after the stabbing.

Well yesh I know that but it doesn't affect the "big" picture (if Dance even had one). I think the prologue is always a red herring of sorts. Not completely irrelevant, but misleading as to the content of the work as a whole.

Archived