The Duel for Catelyn's Hand

Tywin Manderly

Of course if LF won Cat's hand everyone would hate him for it. Hoster loses to chance to have a prestigious marriage for his daughter. Rickard and Brandon are mad at the broken betrothal. Cat would resent having to marry her friend instead of the man she loved. And given how class-ridden Westeros is, a boy from a house of no importance marrying the daughter of a lord paramount wouldn't be taken well. So LF would have disillusioned either way.

To be fair I think Brandon was an honourable guy and if he accepted a duel with Littlefinger then he would accept that if he lost he wouldn't marry Cat.

I agree that Brandon would be too embarrassed to marry Catelyn if he lost. But Littlefinger would have to kill him. Brandon would keep fighting and would never yield.

Hoster would of course never marry his daughter to Littlefinger, even if he won the duel. He would simply marry her to Ned.

If it worked that way, the best fighters who aren't the most eligible bachelors, would use this procedure all the time to get to marry princesses and daughters of the Lords Paramount. But such cases aren't ever mentioned.

But they'd need to accept the duel. A lot of the time they wouldn't go for it. Brandon wasn't really risking anything, he knew petyr wasn't a fair match.

I hope you are joking. Regardless of what Littlefinger turned into, killing a 15 year old boy is wrong, no matter what.

This! :agree:

Littlefinger was simply a foolish teen. Not to mention he was also sky-high on a drug called Catelynphetamine. ;)

Would Westeros be a better place now if Littlefinger had defeated Brandon?

Honestly, yeah. Personally I think the young Littlefinger may have had his hands in Robert's Rebellion by burning a letter from Lyanna to Brandon. If LF had killed Brandon, then Rhaegar would likely sit on the Iron Throne, and there would certainly not have been the War of the Five Kings. Littlefinger wouldn't have made it his goal in life to cause chaos and bring down all the great houses in Westeros. Littlefinger is the greatest evil facing the world, aside from the Others.

Honestly, yeah. Personally I think the young Littlefinger may have had his hands in Robert's Rebellion by burning a letter from Lyanna to Brandon. If LF had killed Brandon, then Rhaegar would likely sit on the Iron Throne, and there would certainly not have been the War of the Five Kings. Littlefinger wouldn't have made it his goal in life to cause chaos and bring down all the great houses in Westeros. Littlefinger is the greatest evil facing the world, aside from the Others.

I don't know about Rheagar sitting on the IT since we still don't know all the details of RR. But I agree that there wouldn't be a Wo5K since LF would be a different person. Or maybe he would start another war, depending on how things go from there. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I serious doubt he'd be happy married to Catelyn so maybe he would react badly to people turning up their noses at the match.

I'm not sure if Westeros would have been a better place if Littlefinger won. Like I said earlier, he would have to kill Brandon, who would never yield to a short, skinny 15 year old boy. And even if Littlefinger won, Hoster would still refuse to marry him to Cat. He would simply marry her to the Ned.

Littlefinger would be even more bitter than he is now, but I guess one difference in his personality would be that wouldn't feel he would have to rely entirely on scheming in order to survive and prosper.

Another thing that would be different is that, since he is not hurt, he doesn't get Lysa pregnant.

When Rickard Stark goes to KL he takes Ned with him and they both get killed. The Mad King would then probably ask Jon for Robert's head only, since Benjen who would now be the Lord of Winterfell is in ...Winterfell far away from the Vale.

Littlefinger's reputation as the boy that killed Brandon Stark might have reached the Mad King, and since he is a clever boy, he might have become an adviser to Aerys.

Who knows? Without Ned the rebellion might not have been successful and Aerys would still be sitting on the Throne with Littlefinger as his main adviser. And that would probably be a far worse Westeros than the one we know.

• 11 months later...

Littlefinger's reputation as the boy that killed Brandon Stark might have reached the Mad King, and since he is a clever boy, he might have become an adviser to Aerys.

Who knows? Without Ned the rebellion might not have been successful and Aerys would still be sitting on the Throne with Littlefinger as his main adviser. And that would probably be a far worse Westeros than the one we know.

Indeed. :stillsick:

• 3 weeks later...

If Hoster Tully didn't comply, it would be a big blow to the reputation of his House.

In Westros, there is a set of rules not enforced by law but enforced by social customs. Honor Rules, if you will.

If someone invites you into his castle and you accept, than you can't murder him (even if he is an opponent). If someone wins a trial by combat, than you have to let him go free even if you are 100% sure he is guilty. If someone duels your future son in law for the hand of your daughter and wins, you have to let him marry your daughter.

If Hoster Tully didn't let a victorious Littlefinger marry Catelyn, than house Tully would be seen as an honorless den of scum and villanry (like house Frey after they broke the guest right).

Could Littleringer have won? Maybe, if Brandon slipped on a rock when they were both in the river (the armor would have weighed him down and he would have drowned).

I always got they idea that the duel was unoffica. Hoster certainly would never agree to it and he was the only one who had the power to make such a duel legal. I always thought Brandon and Cat were strolling around and LF charged up to challenge him. Brandon probably declined at first but LF probably did something stupid and Brandon being a hot head accepted then and they fought right there. Nobody there to officate, Cat was probably the only one there to re.

Also does anyone find it odd that the supposed wild child Brandon let LF live? I know he did because Cat begged him, but seeing how most people potray him as an impulsive idiot, its suprising he just didn't kill on the spot. I guess its all part of LF's plot armor

I didn't get the impression the duel was for Cat's hand. LF challenged Brandon because he was mad at him for marrying Cat. It's like punching the guy who asked out the girl you like. That doesn't mean that the girl will immediately run to you. LF's hopes were to kill him, so, Hoster would need a new husband for Cat and he would be there, available, which is foolish. Or at least, he would get Brandon killed so he wouldn't marry Cat.

If Hoster Tully didn't comply, it would be a big blow to the reputation of his House.

In Westros, there is a set of rules not enforced by law but enforced by social customs. Honor Rules, if you will.

If someone invites you into his castle and you accept, than you can't murder him (even if he is an opponent). If someone wins a trial by combat, than you have to let him go free even if you are 100% sure he is guilty. If someone duels your future son in law for the hand of your daughter and wins, you have to let him marry your daughter.

If Hoster Tully didn't let a victorious Littlefinger marry Catelyn, than house Tully would be seen as an honorless den of scum and villanry (like house Frey after they broke the guest right).

What exactly do you base this claim on?

Why doesn't Sandor or other relative poor guy who is an excellent fighter just challenge for the right to marry a royal princess or the daughter of a Lord Paramount? Seems like a really easy way for them to rise high in society yet it never happens.

Archived