MLB 13 V- Playoffs arrrrrrrr here

Kat

I think the experience of last year fueled them. Clint Hurdle did all he could this time too.

Yeah, he did. We had more depth at pitching, which really helped. Batting Morneau 4th instead of Alvarez is what we needed, too. He's just not a good cleanup hitter.

Yeah, he did. We had more depth at pitching, which really helped. Batting Morneau 4th instead of Alvarez is what we needed, too. He's just not a good cleanup hitter.

Liriano's reemergence has been spectacular. The Buckos seemed to rely a lot on timely hitting instead of consisted hitting. That's evidenced by the .245 batting average. They do a good job at drawing walks, though.

Liriano's reemergence has been spectacular. The Buckos seemed to rely a lot on timely hitting instead of consisted hitting. That's evidenced by the .245 batting average. They do a good job at drawing walks, though.

And getting hit by pitches. LOL But drawing walks means being patient in the box.

We're going to be heartbroken if we lose this one. :)

Mattingly going all-in trying to slam the door. Smart move.

Can anyone explain (in non-Frediot terms) why the Barves wouldn't start Medlen, who only threw 74 pitches the other night?

Medlen was not effective against the Dodgers in Game 1, hence it is not as advantageous for them to try him on 3 days rest as it is for the Dodgers to try and throw the presumptive Cy Young Award Winner who was effective in Game 1 on three days of rest.

Also, Pedro Martinez had an interesting insight on the TBS studio show between games I had not considered before: being effective on three days' rest requires knowing in advance that that's the plan, so you the pitcher train and exercise on your off days differently. So who knows, maybe Kershaw was preparing to do this from the beginning while Medlen/The Braves were not planning on trying to go on 3 days of rest [perhaps they should have, but if they didn't have that plan at the start it would be too late now].

They also pointed out Kershaw has never attempted to pitch on 3 days' rest before, so who knows if this truly will work as well as expected -- I distinctly remember aces pitching on short rest and looking quite mortal throughout the last few years of postseason. Though I can hardly fault the Dodgers for wanting to have Kershaw pitch as many of their postseason innings as possible, either.

And the worst case scenario for them is still a fully rested Grienke in Game 5, which isn't all that bad.

I'm not sure I agree with throwing Kersh tonight. I know he gives us a better chance to win, but I'd rather win with Nolasco, and have Kersh ready for game 1 of the LCS. Maybe I'd think a little different if Kersh hadn't thrown 120+ pitches in game 1.

Medlen was not effective against the Dodgers in Game 1, hence it is not as advantageous for them to try him on 3 days rest as it is for the Dodgers to try and throw the presumptive Cy Young Award Winner who was effective in Game 1 on three days of rest.

I get that, but throwing Freddie Garcia out there is not an optimal alternative. Medlen had a rough outing the other night, but it's inarguable that he's a much more effective pitcher at this stage in his career than Garcia is.

I'm not sure I agree with throwing Kersh tonight. I know he gives us a better chance to win, but I'd rather win with Nolasco, and have Kersh ready for game 1 of the LCS. Maybe I'd think a little different if Kersh hadn't thrown 120+ pitches in game 1.

agreed, my friend.

i don't think kersh needs to pitch tonight. sure, nolasco has not been amazing in his last few starts but i think i would prefer letting him have at this thing.

My thoughts exactly. I can't help but feel that even if Kershaw is great tonight and they move on to the NLCS that this will come back to haunt them. I fear the Dodgers are making a blunder here. I don't understand why they can't send up Ricky to face Freddy Garcia.

Archived