Planetos or GRRth or ...?

Lord Puff Fish

Some of you may not agree the planet should be called earth because of this but to me this ends the question:

“The First Men named us children,” the little woman said. “The giants called us woh dak nag gran, the squirrel people, because we were small and quick and fond of trees, but we are no squirrels, no children. Our name in the True Tongue means those who sing the song of earth. Before your Old
Tongue was ever spoken, we had sung our songs ten thousand years.”

And they did sing. They sang in True Tongue, so Bran could not understand the words, but their voices were as pure as winter air. “Where are the rest of you?” Bran asked Leaf, once. “Gone down into the earth,” she answered.

Some of you may not agree the planet should be called earth because of this but to me this ends the question:

I think in these cases, the word 'earth' is referring to the dirt or ground rather than to the planet as a whole. even so, they may call it the earth anyways but for discussion, it helps to have a more specific name. i prefer the word Planetos, as grrth seems contrived and too slang-like.

I think in these cases, the word 'earth' is referring to the dirt or ground rather than to the planet as a whole.

Isn't that what the planet is? A big lump of dirt? :p

I did think the same thing but since its the children of the forest who I think are probably the original inhabitants of the world, its probably what the average Westerosi would say if you asked them "what is your world called?"

I think in these cases, the word 'earth' is referring to the dirt or ground rather than to the planet as a whole. even so, they may call it the earth anyways but for discussion, it helps to have a more specific name. i prefer the word Planetos, as grrth seems contrived and too slang-like.

More contrived than planetos? And it being slang like is kind of the point. We don't have an official name, so it's all slang in a way.

Personally i call it the world of ice and fire.

Planetos works for me. Calling it Earth is not convenient for discussions that compare it to our world, though I agree that that is most likely what the characters would call it if they had reason to speak of the planet itself.

All this makes me wonder when real-world humans began referring to the planet itself with a name, as opposed to just saying "the world" or equivalents.

How about we call it Woiaf (WOE-yahf) then? :D

More contrived than planetos? And it being slang like is kind of the point. We don't have an official name, so it's all slang in a way.

Planetos fits the naming theme so it seems a little more natural, and when you say it, people understand what you're referring to. Grrth is more ambiguous and i think it takes you out of the world a bit by being too artificial.

Planetos is probably best because it requires no explanation. Any first time poster can figure out what planetos is, whereas GRRTH requires an explanation. Planetos does sound a bit goofy and sci-fi though, although I don't think that's a big deal on the forums. It would be different if it were used in the actual books.

I'd be willing to settle with Gearth, because like Planetos it is intuitive and also sounds a bit more appropriate to the setting.

Archived