Planetos or GRRth or ...?

Lord Puff Fish

StannisBamfatheon said it best :

Allright Westeros.org message boards.....LISTEN UP. The word "Planetos" literally rhymes with Hitler. Every time I read it I get cancer. By even writing the word "Planetos" you're admitting that high school was kind of a rough time for you. Planetos is drinking orange juice IMMEDIATELY after brushing your teeth. Nothing....and. I. mean. NOTHING. good ever comes from the word Planetos. It sounds like a bad sci-fi movie I'm watching at 1:30 in the morning while I'm absolutely baked. Planetos sounds like some shitty board game you played when the power was out because you didn't have any booze. Planetos is eye bleach. And every time you write it an orphan careens off a cliff.

It's time we rename the ASOIAF world. "But Stan Bamf! Whatever shall we call it!" Let it be known, here and now, right at this very moment, that the world of ASOIAF is no longer colloquially known as "Planetos" but....."GEARTH." Yes....that's right. "GEARTH" For the new name is a portmanteau of "George rr martin" and earth, but also is a double entendre because GRRM is in fact....quite girthy. Yes....GEARTH. All caps. FOREVER AND ALWAYS. GEARTH is freedom, GEARTH is a summer rain, GEARTH is Christmas morning, GEARTH is freshly laundered sheets. IT IS EVERYTHING PLANETOS ISN'T. PLANETOS IS GETTING BRACES FOR THE FIRST TIME. PLANETOS IS RAISINS FOR HALLOWEEN. PLANETOS IS THE WORST!!!!

How does Essos sound with a Greek accent in that case?

What the Black Viper said, minus the 'sh' sound. I had never thought of that, pronouncing Essos the Greek way actually makes it sound very oriental and quite fitting, as it reminds me of the names of some Persian cities, like Issus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Issus

Anything's better than Planetos. I think this is the first time I've written that, I'll go out of my way to write the rather cumbersome "world of Ice and Fire" to avoid it, every time.

Gearth sounds kinda silly too, but if it's between that and the P word... long live Gearth.

GRRTH to me, is too close to girth. I can't get behind that. Planetos for some reason makes me think of Captain Planet, so yeah, sci-fi.

What about something like GRRMworld, or if we go off how planets were named after Roman (nee Greek) gods, why not Meraxes? (I picked Meraxes because it sounds like Axis, but I suppose Vhagar, Balerion or any other god in GRRMworld works)

StannisBamfatheon said it best :

Allright Westeros.org message boards.....LISTEN UP. The word "Planetos" literally rhymes with Hitler. Every time I read it I get cancer. By even writing the word "Planetos" you're admitting that high school was kind of a rough time for you. Planetos is drinking orange juice IMMEDIATELY after brushing your teeth. Nothing....and. I. mean. NOTHING. good ever comes from the word Planetos. It sounds like a bad sci-fi movie I'm watching at 1:30 in the morning while I'm absolutely baked. Planetos sounds like some shitty board game you played when the power was out because you didn't have any booze. Planetos is eye bleach. And every time you write it an orphan careens off a cliff.

It's time we rename the ASOIAF world. "But Stan Bamf! Whatever shall we call it!" Let it be known, here and now, right at this very moment, that the world of ASOIAF is no longer colloquially known as "Planetos" but....."GEARTH." Yes....that's right. "GEARTH" For the new name is a portmanteau of "George rr martin" and earth, but also is a double entendre because GRRM is in fact....quite girthy. Yes....GEARTH. All caps. FOREVER AND ALWAYS. GEARTH is freedom, GEARTH is a summer rain, GEARTH is Christmas morning, GEARTH is freshly laundered sheets. IT IS EVERYTHING PLANETOS ISN'T. PLANETOS IS GETTING BRACES FOR THE FIRST TIME. PLANETOS IS RAISINS FOR HALLOWEEN. PLANETOS IS THE WORST!!!!

:bowdown: But then it was agreed that GRRTH is better.

Planetos is probably best because it requires no explanation. Any first time poster can figure out what planetos is, whereas GRRTH requires an explanation. Planetos does sound a bit goofy and sci-fi though, although I don't think that's a big deal on the forums. It would be different if it were used in the actual books.

I'd be willing to settle with Gearth, because like Planetos it is intuitive and also sounds a bit more appropriate to the setting.

Not that we're shy of explanations over here. :P

Shouldn't there be a "th" somewhere in pronunciation? See the trouble GRRTH causes? :P

Well, 'Gert' is a Dutch name, and I'm thinking when a native English speaker tries to pronounce it, it's going to sound like 'Gearth' either way. :D

Because GRRMworld breaks the illusion that any of this is actually real... GRRTH clearly references the creator but it just as clearly references Earth, and the similarities between the two.

I just picture a pear-shaped blue planet in space, with suspenders. Please no.

I think GRRTH is horrible. It sounds like rabid dog and looks like abbreviation.

Gearth is much better (well, EVERYTHING is much better), but still I don't like it. Main reason is that it is derived from the author's name, which is wrong because he wrote more stories which take place in different worlds. How would we call those? Gearth1, Gearth2,....?

I personally like Planetos and will continue using it, yes, it does sound like form cheap sci-fi, but I think that does not matter a bit for a name made up solely for purpose of having something to call it by. I actually like the light-heartness of it.

Some of you may not agree the planet should be called earth because of this but to me this ends the question:

Referring to the ground. A planet is much more than dirt. There are mountains, deserts, bodies of water, the skies themselves, etc. And again, they were clearly referring to the dirt beneath and not the planet as a whole. The planet itself is nameless, at this point. The inhabitants have no concept of "planet" as we know it and thusly have no name for their own.

I prefer Gearth. It's a neat and tidy spelling, though GRRTH has it's positives. The problem with GRRTH is that I'm too lazy to move my pinky to hold down the shift key or to click caps lock twice in close succession while typing it. I also really get annoyed at having to type GRRM, due to the lazy.

I recognize that Martin has other books with many different worlds. I see no issue with members of all Martin fandoms using Gearth as a catch all for "imaginary world created in the mind of one George R R Martin."

Archived