Small Questions v 10016

Stubby

Keep asking...

From what I could tell, these were the unresolved questions from the previous thread:

Why is the Reach named so? I read a good explanation once but I can't remember it anymore.

Did Cersei have sex with all 3 kettleblacks?

"Reach: a continuous stretch or expanse; especially : a straight portion of a stream or river"

So in general it refers to the spreading out of a river but it can also be a wide stretch of land. Taking into account the Mander River I'd say the Westerosi 'Reach' fits into either category.

What I'm curious about is what the various kingdoms were named before they were united under Aegon. I mean they can't have just been called 'The North' or 'The Westerlands'- those are descriptions of a region, not the name of an independent state. And I doubt they would have just been called 'The Kingdom of the Mountain and Vale' or the 'The Kingdom of the Rock' either. Once again, decriptions. Dorne is interesting in that it alone actually seems to have a true name.

"Reach: a continuous stretch or expanse; especially : a straight portion of a stream or river"

So in general it refers to the spreading out of a river but it can also be a wide stretch of land. Taking into account the Mander River I'd say the Westerosi 'Reach' fits into either category.

What I'm curious about is what the various kingdoms were named before they were united under Aegon. I mean they can't have just been called 'The North' or 'The Westerlands'- those are descriptions of a region, not the name of an independent state. And I doubt they would have just been called 'The Kingdom of the Mountain and Vale' or the 'The Kingdom of the Rock' either. Once again, decriptions. Dorne is interesting in that it alone actually seems to have a true name.

They were indeed just called the same things they are now, as evidenced by titles like the King in the North. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. The Northerners would be aware of the fact that they're living in the North, the Westerlanders in the West, the Vale Men in a Vale etc.

I have a theory about Dorne due to the fact that it sounds like Dawn. I'm speculating the name may have some connection to House Dayne's role in the War for the Dawn.

So who is Tommens regent after Kevan's death? Cersei? Mace?

Presumably Cersei. At least I think that's what Varys was going for. But then the point is made a few times that she can never effectively rule again after her walk of shame.

On a related matter, does the HS still hold Osney? And is Osfryd arrested? I remember something from Kevan about the KettlebLacks, but i dont remember too well

I think yes. All three Kettleblacks are charged with serious accusations - fornication with the queen. High Sparrow is not going to let them go until trial.

My money is on Mace.

We can only speculate. I think whatever's left of the Small Council would be in position to name the Regent. Mace is Tommen's Hand so he's in prime position. More importantly, he is probably the most powerful plyer in King's Landing right now. I'm sure Cersei will work against him but her position appears to be extremely weak at present. Unless something unexpected happens I'm sure it'll be Mace at least to start.

The grand maester would have been option, but I think the high septon will go for it.

Pycelle would have been good but out of interest, is a Maester allowed to be a Regent? We know that they can't rule, only give counsel. Technically the King is the ruler, and so is the Hand. But a Regent does sort of rule if the King is underage yet the Regent still needs the signature and seal of the King, whereas the Hand does not. So does that make the Regent a ruler?

Randyll Tarly could even be a candidate for regent. If Mace doesnt want to act out directly then who better to be regent than a 'loyal' (the reader and Mace dont know whether he is the friend in the Reach yet) bannerman of his House? Plus Tarly is pretty competent, even Kevan said as much. As othersbhave said already though, we have no way of knowing until Winds, so i thought i woukd just throw another name into the mix. (Or how about Harya Swyft if Cersei makes the appointment ;))

Archived