Scott Lynch’s The Republic of Thieves.. SPOILERS

Howdyphillip

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7703856341303488608&postID=8609698711619428320

Yeah, at this point we're not gonna hit a 2014 publication. I'm going to scrape past the manuscript finish line well before the end of 2014, but too late to get it on the docket in a sensible fashion. At least as far as I know. So, early 2015, precise date TBA. Don't take anything in a bookstore database as meaningful, look for the announcements from me and Gollancz/Random House.

Cheers,

SL

Early 2015 is still fine, by me. Once I feared that the saga would remain uncompleted, so it's nice to see how it's gaining steam again. I'm really interested in this new book, being the middle one that will surely start establishing the final showdown.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not a Gentleman Bastard story. I don't even think it's the same world.

Correct. It's a totally different world with totally different characters, so there's no need to read any of the novels before the short story. (Incidentally, Lynch's story was my favorite in the anthology.)

Agreed. I'm happy for Lynch that he's overcome his personal demons and come out the other side.

Same here. I'm thrilled that things seem to be going well for him both personally and professionally. And a turnaround of a year and a half or so is pretty good anyway.

Enjoyed it a great deal, but based on Lynch's previous ruthlessness I had been expecting higher stakes from Locke and Sabetha being set against each other, eg "if you lose, you die" - while he'd clearly throw his own life away to save Sabetha, he'd be less willing to sacrifice Jean as well. The ending as written would have been a perfect solution to that dilemma, and the flashbacks showing them working together would have been a nice contrast to a present day deadly serious opposition.

Enjoyed it a great deal, but based on Lynch's previous ruthlessness I had been expecting higher stakes from Locke and Sabetha being set against each other, eg "if you lose, you die" - while he'd clearly throw his own life away to save Sabetha, he'd be less willing to sacrifice Jean as well. The ending as written would have been a perfect solution to that dilemma, and the flashbacks showing them working together would have been a nice contrast to a present day deadly serious opposition.

The ending would have had Locke and Jean loosing the election and dying. The contest was over once the results were in. As it stands, that was just their bit of insolence to the Bondsmages.

Or is the plural Bondsmagi?

Apparently the current target date is mid-to-late 2015. At Worldcon Scott said he hadn't quite finished it yet but he's almost there. If he hands it in in the next few weeks it would be July 2015, but that might be a little too ambitious right now.

I get the impression Lynch wants to still bang them out one a year, but the publishers would be happy with a bit more time for editing and rewrites and to do it in two years each.

Apparently the current target date is mid-to-late 2015. At Worldcon Scott said he hadn't quite finished it yet but he's almost there. If he hands it in in the next few weeks it would be July 2015, but that might be a little too ambitious right now.

I get the impression Lynch wants to still bang them out one a year, but the publishers would be happy with a bit more time for editing and rewrites and to do it in two years each.

One a year would be awesome, but getting one every other year to ensure the best book possible is fine by me.

How was the prologe to ToE? Any fun spoilers?

Annoyingly, Lynch's reading was held in a tiny room which meant that very few people got to see it. I think a couple of BWBers might have got in, but most of us who queued up didn't. Given that he had enough fans in London that his signing queue took about an hour and a half it was crazy the reading was in such a small room.

Annoyingly, Lynch's reading was held in a tiny room which meant that very few people got to see it. I think a couple of BWBers might have got in, but most of us who queued up didn't. Given that he had enough fans in London that his signing queue took about an hour and a half it was crazy the reading was in such a small room.

Yes, it was a shame. This was one of the highlights in my schedule but I just couldn't face that type of crowd. Bleh. :bawl:

You fools. Min D, Kama and I were in there for an hour ahead of time listening to some urban fantasy and hard sci-fi by a couple of lesser known (but still perfectly good) authors.

He read the opening of his story in Rogues as well, so there wasn't much of ToE. As far as I remember it consisted of Locke and Jean walking for days and days and bantering with each other. They were debating whether to go east, south or north into the war, with the title of the book a bit of a clue as to what they decide.

You fools. Min D, Kama and I were in there for an hour ahead of time listening to some urban fantasy and hard sci-fi by a couple of lesser known (but still perfectly good) authors.

He read the opening of his story in Rogues as well, so there wasn't much of ToE. As far as I remember it consisted of Locke and Jean walking for days and days and bantering with each other. They were debating whether to go east, south or north into the war, with the title of the book a bit of a clue as to what they decide.

And then going hunting, which worked out about as well as you'd expect:p

Enjoyed Lynch stumbling over a line in the reading and deciding right there and then that it had to be rewritten - "Yeah, the readers will hate that".

• 1 month later...

I've just caught up on the Republic of Thieves, and felt a bit let down. It's not that the two stories didn't hold my interest, but they just weren't great, you know? Disjointedness grated on me after a while as well. Locke and Sabetha's love story just dragged on, and on, and was endlessly more of the same. Locke does something innocent that Sabetha misinterprets, blows the fuse, Locke apologizes, she takes her time to come around, apologizes, but coasts him, they don't sleep together... an so on, and so forth, ad infinitum. I liked the first two books better, and, I guess, I have expected something more from the Republic. As for the Big Reveal, I don't know if I am up for Locke being any more special. Oh, well. Still will pick up the Thorn of Emberlain.

And then going hunting, which worked out about as well as you'd expect:p

Enjoyed Lynch stumbling over a line in the reading and deciding right there and then that it had to be rewritten - "Yeah, the readers will hate that".

I somehow got in there too, loved the reading.

Sounds promising for the next book :)

Archived