New trilogy featuring Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb

pat5150

Regarding mysterious parentage of new characters:

My working theory is that Fitz infused himself with DNA from Nighteyes and the Fool when he pressed blood into the memory stone. As I read, I figured that the blood on the memory stone fused the Fool into Fitz, and that explained how his child would be a White (which I began to suspect when Molly was claiming to be pregnant for so long) and the "Unexpected Son."

HelenaandtheMachine's comment made me think that this applies to Nighteyes as well and explains why Bee can communicate with him so fully.

Based on the Fool's story in this book it appears that WP's are some kind of genetic mutation that can appear anywhere and from parents without any WP connection, so I don't see any reason to speculate that the Fool had anything to do with Bee.

Based on the Fool's story in this book it appears that WP's are some kind of genetic mutation that can appear anywhere and from parents without any WP connection, so I don't see any reason to speculate that the Fool had anything to do with Bee.

The Pale Woman told Fitz in Fool's Fate that when the 'Last White' beget a number of children with humans (nine, if I recall) her offspring looked entirely like normal humans. However, she goes on to claim that whenever those who are descended from her produce children, a new White Prophet is born.

So, it's likely that both Fitz and Molly are actually descendents of the 'Last White', with obviously quite a few generations between them and their mysterious ancestor. Although admittedly it's possible that the Pale Woman herself had been misled by the Servants.

This theory is supported by the fact that the Fool's parents were completely normal, though. And it does seem unlikely that just anyone could have White offspring.

I just got around to reading it (I hadn't read any of the rain wilds and had to trudge through all that tedious girl power to get to it in case I needed to know). I don't know what I ever did to Robin Hobb to make her want to hurt me so much

In regards to the spoilers above ...

I also thought the Fool was saying that both Fitz and Molly had distant White ancestors and that when they come together, they produce a White. I'll have to look at it again, but something in his wording made me think it would always produce a White, not just sometimes. I could have misunderstood it, but the fact that Nettles wasn't a White continued to bother me for the rest of the novel. I have to have misunderstood the Fool, right? It's just like getting red hair and my sister getting blonde.

But, I do kind of like the idea of the Fool and Fitz becoming somehow merged during the healing. I have no idea if it makes any logical sense, but it would resolve what I mentioned above. Nettles was pre-Fool, Bee was post. Molly had the magical DNA all along, but not Fitz.

• 1 month later...

I believe the second book is already done. There was some abnormally long wait between turn in date and publication for some reason on the first one.

As of 4th December she was still writing the final chapters for Fool's Quest:

http://www.robinhobb.com/2014/12/home-again-home-again-to-holiday-time/

Not sure if there have been updates since then, though I guess for an August release she should have finished writing around now.

I'm still bot entirely sold on the title for the new book, though I guess its probably going to fit what (most likely) happens in the book.

As for the young adult thing, I don't really know. I mean, I read Farseer at 14/15 but probably got more out of rereading them a few years later. Is there some sort of criteria that makes a novel YA? (she says, at the risk of derailing the thread)

Here's a question. Someone in another thread claimed that these are young adult books, which I personally think is crazy. What are your guys.gals opinions?

I would not rate these as Young adult no. Fitz is young of course, in the first trilogy, so technically you could say that in Farseer you have a teen protagonist, but it never felt YA to me at all, and I usually know quite quickly when something is aimed at the YA market. The second and third trilogy do not even have a teen protagonist, nothing in that really meets my idea of YA.

IT tackled fairly adult subject matter. Farseer is full of magic, dragons and whimsy. Plus a pretty trite, obviously rotten to the core villain. All things best suited to YA.

EDIT: Trigger Warning

Full of magic and dragons and whimsy? Umm, not as I remember it. "Dragons" do not even enter into it until the end of the trilogy, and I don't really see what is whimsy about it.

As for magic, well, its fantasy. I kind of expected magic, and it was not really overdone.

Robin Hobb is not YA ( a genre that should not exist) - that said, Fool's Assassin was beautifully written, perhaps the best written of the fantasy book of 2014.

I would not recommend the books to teenagers because (i) they would not gain the quick gratification that fantasy novels often provide and (ii) her work can be oppressive and claustrophobic. She writes movingly about failure, ageing and death.

Archived