New trilogy featuring Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb

pat5150

As someone who really likes Hobb at her best, and finds her fun enough at her worst, am I the only one who really isn't excited by this at all? I feel the second Fitz/Fool trilogy was pushing things, and by the end it was just too much. I stopped caring much about either character after the first three books (and Liveships, but Fitz doesn't turn up in that).

I just feel it's being milked a little. Not saying I won't read it... (well, might not), but I can't pretend I really care about them.

I feel the worst way to handle beloved characters is run them into the ground, and I know the rest of you are not all with me, because I know the Tawny Man trilogy was really popular, but I've always felt that sequels that were not planned from the very beginning have to be handled well. I find that it's always better to leave us satisfied and wanting a bit more then for something to overstay its welcome and make us bored. I loved the Liveships trilogy, for example, and it's one of my favourite series ever. I'd love to see the characters again (well, we saw a few of them in the Rain Wilds chronicles, fair enough), but I don't think we should, because I left them all on good terms, and don't want to risk ruining that. Fitz and the Fool were ruined for me ages ago.

As someone who really likes Hobb at her best, and finds her fun enough at her worst, am I the only one who really isn't excited by this at all? I feel the second Fitz/Fool trilogy was pushing things, and by the end it was just too much. I stopped caring much about either character after the first three books (and Liveships, but Fitz doesn't turn up in that).

I just feel it's being milked a little. Not saying I won't read it... (well, might not), but I can't pretend I really care about them.

I feel the worst way to handle beloved characters is run them into the ground, and I know the rest of you are not all with me, because I know the Tawny Man trilogy was really popular, but I've always felt that sequels that were not planned from the very beginning have to be handled well. I find that it's always better to leave us satisfied and wanting a bit more then for something to overstay its welcome and make us bored. I loved the Liveships trilogy, for example, and it's one of my favourite series ever. I'd love to see the characters again (well, we saw a few of them in the Rain Wilds chronicles, fair enough), but I don't think we should, because I left them all on good terms, and don't want to risk ruining that. Fitz and the Fool were ruined for me ages ago.

I agree with a lot of this. Robin Hobb is definitely top 3 or 5 favorite authors of mine. I even managed to enjoy Soldier Son, and Farseer/Liveship are two of, IMO, the best fantasy series I've ever read.

I will wait until all three books are out before starting the series so I can hear other people's opinions. I'll probably read them no matter what, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I probably enjoyed the Tawny Man series (apart from the first 200 pages of book 1 where people kept turning up on Fitz's doorstep and asking him to come back until he finally relented) more than the first Fitz series, which I felt lost it's way about half-way through book 2. I'm not really sure where she can go from the conclusion of that series but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I enjoyed the bittersweet finish to the first trilogy just fine. I also enjoyed the sappy finale of the second trilogy just because I think we all felt Fitz "deserved" to have a Happily Ever After.

I am looking forward to seeing my old friends in print again, even if I currently feel like the 6th book ended things just swell.

I guess another trilogy was inevitable since the last Fitz/Fool slash-fic trilogy wasn't 50 Shades of Gray enough.

. :lol: It has an extra level now, seeing how the Fool is sort of black, it's now interracial slash-fic!

Fitz really seems to have a shit life at times. He's constantly getting beaten up, despite the fact he's quite a good fighter, and he keeps feeling like an idiot, and getting told he's an idiot even when he does things that don't seem that stupid.

I agree with a lot of this. Robin Hobb is definitely top 3 or 5 favorite authors of mine. I even managed to enjoy Soldier Son

I loved the setting and world building in Soldier Son, I would actually really like a return to this setting, except ignore all the fatmagic people and keep the focus on the militarisic society that was in it.

I feel the worst way to handle beloved characters is run them into the ground, and I know the rest of you are not all with me, because I know the Tawny Man trilogy was really popular, but I've always felt that sequels that were not planned from the very beginning have to be handled well.

But at least in Tawny man there was always the pale woman to sort out at the end, and Fitz and his children was always there. There isn't that drive anymore.

Three things I'm hoping there won't be: F/F sex (it would just be odd,) Finding out who Fitz's mother was (I prefer not knowing) and more Witted politics (just, no.)

Yeah, not optimistic. That story is done. (I felt even Tawny Man was a stretch, although it had it's good bits)

Although it would be nice to see the Rain Wilds and Six Duchies strands finally connecting.

You know, this is kind of odd. The i mpression I've gotten from this board over the last year was that you all hated the ending to Tawny man. *shrug*

Guess it depends on the subject of the thread.

(For thr record I thought it was great)

Yes that is the general consensus. On one hand I guess this means we can have a better ending instead of that sugary fairy tale perfect happiness we got at the end of Tawny Man. On the other hand, sounds like a cash grab, and Hobb's books since Tawny Man have ranged from average to dire.

Fine, I'll buy these three extra books. In hardcover. As all Hobb junkies, what choice have I really got? But.. it will be just three books this time, right? And these are definately the last three books set in the elderling world, right? right...? RIGHT?!

And these are definately the last three books set in the elderling world, right? right...? RIGHT?!

Not sure about that, but Hobb said in Goodreads:

Also, I was wondering if you will ever step out of your Realm of the Elderlings again, like you did with the Soldier Son trilogy?

Oh, definitely! Celtsie is standing on the sidelines, shouting "pick me, pick me!" and that's a world I've never written in before. But will she get her turn next. Maybe not. Maybe when I'm 70! :)

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1265114-ask-robin?page=4#comment_71851256

Yes that is the general consensus. On one hand I guess this means we can have a better ending instead of that sugary fairy tale perfect happiness we got at the end of Tawny Man.

I didn't think it was that sugary really. Yeah he gets the girl, but only after she's loved and been married to someone else for 15 years, raised a daughter who will always think of Fitz as a second father. Fitz and the Fool parted ways forever without saying goodbye (at least we thought until now) Burrich is dead, and Fitz is more or less still hiding his identity. I thought it was a pretty balanced ending.

I didn't think it was that sugary really. Yeah he gets the girl, but only after she's loved and been married to someone else for 15 years, raised a daughter who will always think of Fitz as a second father. Fitz and the Fool parted ways forever without saying goodbye (at least we thought until now) Burrich is dead, and Fitz is more or less still hiding his identity. I thought it was a pretty balanced ending.

Nah, it's surgary as fuck. The whole series is.

The above "balance" is only because the first series has an ending with real loss and sacrifice (the second part, of course, being the entire point) and thus Tawny Man needed to work extra super hard to negate all that to get it's fairy-tale bullshit on. Fitz's was realistically suffering injuries after the events of the first series? Let's cure all that! Didn't get the girl? Kill the other guy and they get back together! Didn't get a pony for christmas? Time travel, now he did!

The Tawny Man is a 3-book re-enactment of the end of Wayne's World. "Let's do the mega-happy ending! dododo dododo dododo dododo"

Archived