Sam and The Horn of Joramun

Jon 'Ghost' Targaryn

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but Jon gave Sam the horn he found on the fist of the first men. And repeatedly it is mention as still being on sam's person. I believe that it's the horn of Joramun or some very important horns. Just wondering if anyone else thought this and if so, do you think it will play a role in the future? I really believe that it will, because it's one of those things that is mentioned in nearly every Sam POV. Thank you for your thoughts

Of all the horns we have seen thus far I think personally that Sam's fits best as Joramun's. It's banded in bronze and seems very old so it could date back that far. And considering what it was found with it could well have been a gift from the CotF.

I find it interesting that once sam gets the horn the others attack the night watch repeatedly. They attack the night watch with a huge attack on the fist. then there stalked throughout the woods and then again sam is attacked after leaving the other night watch members only to finally be rescued by cold hands. I wander if the obsidian it was buried with actually blocked its location and once it was removed they can actually detect its presence.

I think that horn is the "real" Horn of Winter, yeah. What I'm more curious about is what it was doing with the obsidian, and who left the cache. The obsidian we know can kill the Others, but the function of the horn is, supposedly, to bring the Wall down. It's also supposed to "wake giants from the earth," whatever that means. Was it left with the obsidian to keep it from falling into the hands of something/someone who was in league with the Others, or is everything about its function/purpose that we think we know wrong?

Yes the description is what lead me to believe that it's the horn of Joramun. Wood bonded in bronze and old, exactly what u would expect from a wildling horn or of the first men. I don't think it has has anything to do with krakens, why would it be buried at the fist of first men if that was the case? No, it was buried with obsidian, so I can agree that if not the horn of Joramun it's definitely a huge threat to the others. I have a strong feeling that while Sam is at the citadel he will stumble into exactly what he is in possession of. And make a bee-line for the wall. Sam the Slayer! If that horn is used to defeat the others his nickname is very well suited!

Sorry lost mediblinllilm, lol. Look I said I didn't know if it was brought up before just thought I would get some input on here. Seems to me I see these kind of comments on here all the time. Settle down......not all of us are so versed in ASOIAF as you. Or others that try and belittle someone when they comment on something that has been brought up before. In my defense, when I have a thought or ? I do usually search for it and find a thread. I post my ?s, and there at the end of the post on page79and u never get input ur looking for. Sorry for offending the gods

Muggle, I seen the thread about benjen leaving it and thinks it makes a lot of sense. That book cover is something I've never seen.....witch affirms my beliefs even more so. See, making a post gets the input I want, thanks to all who can overlook that I've reposted on a subject that's been well covered thank you

Sorry lost mediblinllilm, lol. Look I said I didn't know if it was brought up before just thought I would get some input on here. Seems to me I see these kind of comments on here all the time. Settle down......not all of us are so versed in ASOIAF as you. Or others that try and belittle someone when they comment on something that has been brought up before. In my defense, when I have a thought or ? I do usually search for it and find a thread. I post my ?s, and there at the end of the post on page79and u never get input ur looking for. Sorry for offending the gods

You mistake me for BR. Chill dude. I was giving you a few threads to follow if you're interested.

Samwell Tarly of Horn Hill (not such a subtle hint right there)

And I'm pretty sure that he unfortunately traded/sold it, for the passage to Braavos I think? Or did he trade it in Braavos for food and wood?

ETA: after paying for the passage to Braavos, he was down to clothes and boots... and the horn, so nevermind, he does still have it

Samwell Tarly of Horn Hill (not such a subtle hint right there)

And I'm pretty sure that he unfortunately traded/sold it, for the passage to Braavos I think? Or did he trade it in Braavos for food and wood?

ETA: after paying for the passage to Braavos, he was down to clothes and boots... and the horn, so nevermind, he does still have it

The last we hear of it from Sam, it is still in his possesion:

By the time the dealing was done, Sam was down to his boots and

blacks and smallclothes, and the broken horn Jon Snow had found on the Fist of First Men. I had

no choice, he told himself. We could not stay on Braavos, and short of theft or beggary, there

was no other way to pay for passage. He would have counted it cheap at thrice the price if only

they had gotten Maester Aemon safe to Oldtown.

Is that a parallel with The Sword of Shanharra? It's been years since I read that but the sword that they were looking for, that they thought would look pretty significant, was actually a dull, rusted thing that was in their possession for half the book!

Is that a parallel with The Sword of Shanharra? It's been years since I read that but the sword that they were looking for, that they thought would look pretty significant, was actually a dull, rusted thing that was in their possession for half the book!

See also: the Slytherin locket.

I loved that series, one of the best.

And exactly!

The horn was cracked in two wasn't it? When Jon found? If someone could get a quote of his description from when he found, I think that would help this thread.

Here ya go:

Jon brushed the loose soil away to reveal a rounded bundle perhaps two feet across. He jammed

his fingers down around the edges and worked it loose. When he pulled it free, whatever was

inside shifted and clinked. Treasure, he thought, but the shapes were wrong to be coins, and the

sound was wrong for metal.

A length of frayed rope bound the bundle together. Jon unsheathed his dagger and cut it, groped

for the edges of the cloth, and pulled. The bundle turned, and its contents spilled out onto the

ground, glittering dark and bright. He saw a dozen knives, leaf-shaped spearheads, numerous

arrowheads. Jon picked up a dagger blade, featherlight and shiny black, hiltless. Torchlight ran

along its edge, a thin orange line that spoke of razor sharpness. Dragonglass. What the maesters

call obsidian. Had Ghost uncovered some ancient cache of the children of the forest, buried here

for thousands of years? The Fist of the First Men was an old place, only...

Beneath the dragonglass was an old warhorn, made from an auroch’s horn and banded in

bronze. Jon shook the dirt from inside it, and a stream of arrowheads fell out. He let them fall,

and pulled up a corner of the cloth the weapons had been wrapped in, rubbing it between his

fingers. Good wool, thick, a double weave, damp but not rotted. It could not have been long in

the ground. And it was dark. He seized a handful and pulled it close to the torch. Not dark.

Black.

Even before Jon stood and shook it out, he knew what he had: the black cloak of a Sworn

Brother of the Night’s Watch.

And a later description from Jon:

He had made a dagger for Grenn as well, and another for the Lord Commander. The warhorn he

had given to Sam. On closer examination the horn had proved cracked, and even after he had

cleaned all the dirt out, Jon had been unable to get any sound from it. The rim was chipped as

well, but Sam liked old things, even worthless old things. “Make a drinking horn out of it,” Jon

told him, “and every time you take a drink you’ll remember how you ranged beyond the Wall, all

the way to the Fist of the First Men.” He gave Sam a spearhead and a dozen arrowheads as well,

and passed the rest out among his other friends for luck.

I think that horn is the "real" Horn of Winter, yeah. What I'm more curious about is what it was doing with the obsidian, and who left the cache. The obsidian we know can kill the Others, but the function of the horn is, supposedly, to bring the Wall down. It's also supposed to "wake giants from the earth," whatever that means. Was it left with the obsidian to keep it from falling into the hands of something/someone who was in league with the Others, or is everything about its function/purpose that we think we know wrong?

Who ever said what kind of Giants they are? You already have two examples of horns. A supposed dragon binder you blow 3 times and you die, just throwing that out there, a nights watch Horn you blow 3 times for the Others represented often as death. And this horn, how much you want to bet you blow it 3 times to wake something from the earth? Waking something from stone if you will, something powerful enough to destroy the wall. Something gigantic, something associated with dragonglass.

Archived