Death of Jon Stark Targaryen = KOTN!

Spartan64Destiny

After viewing many of these forums, a lot of people are saying Jon is still going to be part of The Nights Watch forever. When Bowen Marsh and his brothers stabbed him in various places including the back middle area of his chest. I'm assuming Jon suffered death from a sharp dagger in his heart and if this is so, death will release him of his commitments and vows to The Nights Watch. In order to for Jon to fulfill his destiny as AAR, PTWP or become KOTN, this event had to take place..............

If Jon's death gets him out of his Night's Watch vows then shouldn't it also void his inheritance claims in how dead men cannot rule lordships?

Hah, true that! I never liked the "I'm alive but technically I was dead for a while" theories to get Jon out of his vows. Does this mean if a man of the watch suffers a heart attack, but is resuscitated by Westeros-style CPR they're out, too?

Actually, if you read the vow, there is no implication that death would free you from your commitment to the Watch, since the wording is, that you are bound forever, regardless of death or undeath.
I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come.

Actually, if you read the vow, there is no implication that death would free you from your commitment to the Watch, since the wording is, that you are bound forever, regardless of death or undeath.

I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come.

Yes because it has been anticipated. :D

"Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out."

So spoke Dolorous Edd the Wise. Being dead doesn't excuse you from the vows. :lol:

Might makes right in this case. And Jon learnt Quorin Halfhand's lesson well - his honor means nothing compared to saving the Realm.

If he has the swords to back his claim to the North, and the lords supporting him, who is going to tell him otherwise?

The Old Gods. The Wall and the old gods have magic, and the vows made in front of the old gods are magical too. Or else how would you explain the weirwood gate at Nightfort?

'Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death.'

And when a Sworn Brother dies, they say: 'And now his watch has ended.'

I do believe that Jon will be a King in the end but he will be free from his vows because the NW will cease to exist.

I agree with this idea. When the Wall falls the NW will cease to exist like the Pharisees and Sadducees after the destruction of the Temple.

Archived