Jaime Lannister: condemned for the wrong reason

Berelyn

The name of the topic is misleading, I think. I should change it since I am not arguing that Jaime is A+ hero. Just that that particular act isn't "black"

If pushing an innocent child from a tower is not a "black" act then I don't know what is. Jaimie didn't do it for some noble reason, he did to ensure that his incestuous relationship with Cersei remains secret.

I don't really have time to debate some of the raised claims right this now, but I am just sayin' - if the life of enormously loved family depends on me killing a random kid, I hope to hell I have enough strenght to do it

Some rules for you to live by, then.

1. Don't bang your kinfolk.

2. If you can't help yourself from banging your kinfolk, don't bang your kinfolk when you're visiting someone else's castle.

3. If you can't help yourself from banging your kinfolk while visiting someone else's castle, please find a room with no windows.

Need for attempted murder of random child averted!

It was Bran's castle to climb, not Jaime's and Cersei's to screw in.

The name of the topic is misleading, I think. I should change it since I am not arguing that Jaime is A+ hero. Just that that particular act isn't "black"

It isn't? Really? Please enlighten us, what would you consider a black act? I would love to know.

Oh, and I'm seriously considering the possibility that you are, in fact, a troll.

I don't really have time to debate some of the raised claims right this now, but I am just sayin' - if the life of enormously loved family depends on me killing a random kid, I hope to hell I have enough strenght to do it

Realistically under what circumstances would the survival of your family depend on you murdering some random child? It's not very likely now is it. As for the context of Jaime pushing bran out the window he and cersei had already selfishly threatened their family by repeatedly having incestuous sex therefore the original fault is their own.

Jaime throwing Bran from the tower was a heinous act. I understand the impulse but it takes a remarkably cold-hearted man to do that to a 7 year old.

Jaime is GRRM's greatest character and someone I truly support in his quest for what redemption he can achieve but this is one thing I can never forgive him for.

The worst thing is, no Jaime chapter has ever indicated that he regretted his action from a moral ground, only that it had made Cersei angry. Despite all his courtesy and apparent sincerity (and general lack douchiness) in his conversations and thoughts in AFFC, this one issue leads me to doubt what kind of redemption he has had. There is still a long way for Jaime to go and I don't want to him to end up as someone who, after everything, didn't change much at all.

I've forgiven Jaime for Bran. I think it's fate. If Bran hadn't been pushed out the window and lost the use of his legs, would Bloodraven have been able to get through to him? Bran could end up being the ultimate hero orchestrating the defeat of the Others while up in the CotF cave. His only motivation for going there was the slim hope that he would be healed. Even now that he knows he will never walk again, BR has opened his mind to the Weirwood network. I am doubtful that Bran would have given up his dreams of being a Knight to become a Tree had the incident not dashed that dream for him.

In short, everything happens for a reason.

The worst thing is, no Jaime chapter has ever indicated that he regretted his action from a moral ground, only that it had made Cersei angry.

False. Several chapters have.

One of several: "I’m not ashamed of loving you, only of the things I’ve done to hide it. That boy at Winterfell..."

Personally, I think what he did was wrong, too. I don't expect them to be perfect, just to admit when something is wrong. It's a story, if everyone was perfect, it would be very boring.

Archived