Strong non family friendship in ASOIF

Señor de la Tormenta

According to Cat in AGOT, LF and Cat.

Seriously though:

-Janos Slynt and Aliser Thorne seemed to have been good buddies for awhile there.

-Arianne Martell, Drey, Garin, and Sylva (unless one of the last three gave away the plan)

-Robb and Ser Raynald Westerling were pretty good friends in Cat's opinion and Raynald was loyal at least (taking a bunch of crossbow bolts in a last ditch effort to save Grey Wind).

-Qhorin and Mance.

-Willas Tyrell and Oberyn Martell (pen pals, but still).

I was just thinking about this today. Almost every relationship a POV character has is defined by conflict. it's a good tool for exploring subject matter, but really, aside from a few pairings, no one has unconditional or carefree firendships. If you took a character and made a visual map to all the character in their storyline, you'd find they're at odds at everyone i some way.

Tyrion and Jon had a good friendship in AGOT. Tyrion still considered himself Jon's friend after the Catnapping and the beginning of the war ("Give my warm regards to Lord Mormont... and to Jon Snow as well" to Ser Alliser in ACOK), and Jon still gives him the benefit of the doubt as of ADWD. After Tyrion and Sansa they are my second most anticipated possible future reunion !

Archived