Would Stannis kneel down for Dany?

ymaface

I keep wondering why this particular topic is made so frequently.

Right or wrong, Stannis has decided the Targaryen claim to the Iron Throne was forfeit back during Robert's Rebellion.

Right or wrong, Stannis has demonstrated a desire to fight to the end, in face of insurmountable odds.

What part of any of this ever makes people think he'd bend the knee to Daenerys, even if she threatens him with death?

Only if

• he lost
  • Dany is alive
  • Dany has dragons
  • Dany's dragons have power
And all of this may don't matter because he may have a better claim than Dany (TLoS) so Dany is going to be another usurper.

If she has control of the dragons, that last remark is of no importance.

If she has control of the dragons, that last remark is of no importance.

That is a big if.

• IF she can control the dragons

IF she is alive

IF her dragons are alive

IF Dany wins in the end

IF there is an IT in the end

IF she has a better claim than Stannis

IF Jon hasn't got a better claim than Dany

IF anyone accepts her as the Queen

Too many ifs.

Stannis won't bend. If it comes to that, he'll die first. Also, Dany's claim is not better than his, but obviously we can argue that from now and until eternity and nobody will change their mind.

And to be honest if Stannis did bend how boring would that be. I've been waiting for the Targ, Baratheon showdown since book one. lol!

all his descendants were assumed to share his madness and thus disbarred from the inheritance. If a perfectly sane Dany shows up in Westeros then the Baratheon claim will be significantly weakened.

LOL

I'm starting to believe you're the real Victarion.

They didn't "disbar" them from inheritance. They killed all the "dragonspawn" they could. Not because they "shared the madness" but because they were potential claimants in future rebellions against the new dynasty.

They would've killed Dany if they could. They will kill her if they can.

I mean... Come on.

Depends...

If Dany shows up in Westeros and is all like "that's my Iron Throne, get out of my chair, cause I'm the rightful heir" then no, Stannis won't bend because he does currently have a better claim through right of conquest. The Baratheons are the current ruling family and their decendents are the ones who should inherited the Iron Throne

HOWEVER

If Dany invades Westeros and re-conquers it a new dynastic will begin and Dany will be queen by right of conquest. Then Stannis will have to bend or he will most likely burn.

Dany might not have control right now of the other two dragons but she has bonded with Drogon by the end of ADWD and he's pretty scary already.

ETA: For clarification.

I keep wondering why this particular topic is made so frequently.

Right or wrong, Stannis has decided the Targaryen claim to the Iron Throne was forfeit back during Robert's Rebellion.

Right or wrong, Stannis has demonstrated a desire to fight to the end, in face of insurmountable odds.

What part of any of this ever makes people think he'd bend the knee to Daenerys, even if she threatens him with death?

:agree:

I don't think it's very likely, but it's certainly possible. Other significant individuals have been given character arcs and been profoundly changed. I think the most surprising turnaround was after Jaime's maiming which had significant effects on his personality, his priorities and his methods for resolving problems. Two-handed Jaime initially thought about keeping his promises to Cat merely for the sake of his own amusement because he was considered untrustworthy. One-handed Jaime, on the other hand(get it?), has earnestly tried to keep his word about safeguarding Sansa (using Brienne) and not bearing arms against Starks or Tullys (using a pretty deft bit of bluff diplomacy with Edmure at Riverrun).

Stannis has spent most of his life believing that there are no gods and that the only justice in the world is made by men. Maybe his visions in the fires and some belief in R'hllor will have affected his character by the time Dany finally arrives in Westeros. Also, I'm wondering how Stannis and the Queen's Men will react if/when Mel realizes that he isn't AAR and ditches him. Maybe they wouldn't be as life-altering as Jaime losing his sword hand, but there are possible/likely plot developments that could potentially generate major changes in Stannis.

I think a more interesting question would be how will stannis react when he finds out r+l=j (presuming its true and that he and Jon are alive at that point) and if he would bend the knee to him. Also if Jon is aa reborn and Mel recognises this and that she's been wrong all along, stannis would be pretty pissed!

Edit: Beaten to it!

Yes, Stannis will kneel down for Dany.

He will kneel down for her when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. :P

Seriously, although Stannis is not a POV character, we are given a lot of information about him and how he thinks.

He didn't bent during the siege at Storm's End. He didn't stop even after the Lannisters and Tyrells defeated him in Blackwater. He didn't abandon his claim when the Tyrells crowned Renly. I just cannot imagine him accepting Daenerys as his queen.

On the other hand, I am very interested in his reaction when he is told about Daenerys and her dragons. She is after all his second cousin.

I think a more interesting question would be how will stannis react when he finds out r+l=j (presuming its true and that he and Jon are alive at that point) and if he would bend the knee to him. Also if Jon is aa reborn and Mel recognises this and that she's been wrong all along, stannis would be pretty pissed!

Edit: Beaten to it!

Good question. While Stannis is a very stubborn, honor-driven character (even moreso than the Ned), I could see Stannis supporting Jon over Dany. And, if Jon is ever to become a King/the King/Lord of Winterfell/etc. I don't think it is something that Jon is going to seek it willingly (especially with what happened to Robb). Jon Snow's story parallels being a Savior big time (especially with being betrayed; having mysterious parentage/having another man raise him as his father; being resurrected in TWoW), and to me, Jon's story has been leading to saving the Realm from the long winter/long night 2.0 this whole time. We'll have to see what happens, but assuming Jon is resurrected and is either/or/both AAR/TPtwP, I think that being a king will be more of because of him saving a realm, and his parentage being a bonus rather than the direct cause of wanting to be King.

All this talk about Stannis being iron and breaking before he'll bend is old news. Davos taught Stannis to bend. Saving the kingdom to win the throne instead of the other way around is Stannis bending. Defeating the Wildings and then welcoming them south of the Wall is bending. Ridding the North of Ironborn and Boltons while Northmen defiantly proclaim their only king is STARK is bending.

Stannis has learned how to bend, and his knees will do so when faced with the rightful queen.

All this talk about Stannis being iron and breaking before he'll bend is old news. Davos taught Stannis to bend. Saving the kingdom to win the throne instead of the other way around is Stannis bending. Defeating the Wildings and then welcoming them south of the Wall is bending. Ridding the North of Ironborn and Boltons while Northmen defiantly proclaim their only king is STARK is bending.

Stannis has learned how to bend, and his knees will do so when faced with the rightful queen.

Again: Dany isn't the rightfull queen.

1. Targs lost the throne

2. Stannis may come before Dany (Salic law)

2. Jon comes before Dany (R+L=TRUEBORN Jon)

Archived