Could the Others be a Red Herring

Maester2chainz

The Others were introduced in the very first chapter of the very first book. Before we even met Bran, or Jon, or Dany, or Tyrion, or anyone, we met the Others. And they looked like they meant business.

That's a pretty strong indication that THEY are what the story's building up to. NOT the throne. In the end we humans can play our games among ourselves, but when the tsunami hits it doesn't care who you call lord, you are dead anyway. The Others are the mother of all natural disasters coming for everyone.

...for that to be thrown away just to decide who will sit on some stupid pointy chair in the end would be a huge waste of one of the best build-ups in fiction...

I really hope its a Red Herring, because they aren't by far as interesting as the Game of Thrones.

I actually kind of agree with this. Plus if its a red herring it means the AA is a red herring, which is my one main wish for the final books.

If the ultimate battle is for the THRONE, not the fate of the world, then the message GRRM is sending is that us humans and what we do are the most important things in the universe.

Thing is, that's not true. Even in our real world it's not true. Nature from time to time raises huge storms and levels cities with giant waves and earthquakes just to remind us who is REALLY in charge.

According to GRRM the true conflict lies with the Others, he said: "And it is important that the individual books refer to the civil wars, but the series title reminds us constantly that the real issue lies in the North beyond the Wall. Stannis becomes one of the few characters fully to understand that, which is why in spite of everything he is a righteous man, and not just a version of Henry VII, Tiberius or Louis XI."

Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, the Others aren't a red herring.

But nor are they necessarily the ultimate enemy; the children, the crows, the other old races including the direwolves, and ultimately the Starks are all bound up with beyond the Wall. That's not to say that the white walkers aren't a threat, but that its going to turn out to be a lot more complex.

The game of thrones is humans fighting for power over other humans.

The battle for the dawn is a fight against death itself for humanity's right to exist.

One of these reveals how trivial the other really is.

Exactly. Which is ironic, because I'd guess that at least half of this board is more concerned about the political machinations than whether there will even be anyone left to sit on the cursed throne anyways :)

Exactly. Which is ironic, because I'd guess that at least half of this board is more concerned about the political machinations than whether there will even be anyone left to sit on the cursed throne anyways :)

Because to most of this board (from what I can tell), the Game of Thrones is more interesting than the Song of Ice and Fire ;)

Ah, but it's the Game of Thrones that's the real red herring, I'm afraid. ;)

But that's the irony.

While every character in the book plays the game of thrones to obtain the status and the power that comes from winning the Iron Throne, there is one character who doesn't play game of thrones. A character who actually has the best claim to throne. but will likely never use it. (mostly because he doesn't know it yet) A character who has dedicated to his young life to defend the realm rather than than covet the power of Iron Throne. A character who will defeat the Others, then defeat ruthless, power hungry dragon Queen who will never accept any rival, even if he will never seek out the throne.

At the end, the throne will be offered to and reluctantly accepted by this character who never partook in the game and never wanted the throne, whose only concern was to protect realm. It would be the same concern that will convince him to accept the throne because only he could unite the realm and stop the war between different Houses.

When Varys was describing Aegon to dying Kevan, he was in affect describing future Jon.

"Tommen has been taught that kingship is his right. Aegon knows that kingship is his duty, that a king must put his people first and rule for them"

I don't think they are red herrings, but they aren't a threat for all of Westeros, just the north. They want the lands beyond the Wall to themselves again, along with the other old races (COTF, Giants (or maybe not now) and other old creatures like Direwolves) as they were promised by men long ago. So all they want is to have their lands back.

I also think that that Dany dream about the men armoured in ice is her and Stannis meeting on the Trident and fighting. She says the sigil of the usurper is showing, and as Stannis is Robert's true heir he's the usurper in Dany's eyes. Also they could be armoured in ice because they've just come from the North where it's snowy and they still could be covered in ice.

Jon's dream I see as Jon's importance between man and the white walkers and his role in that event in that event.

And I think it won't be Dany and Jon fighting but Dany and (F)Aegon fighting in the second Dance of the Dragons.

The Others were introduced in the very first chapter of the very first book. Before we even met Bran, or Jon, or Dany, or Tyrion, or anyone, we met the Others. And they looked like they meant business.

That's a pretty strong indication that THEY are what the story's building up to. NOT the throne. In the end we humans can play our games among ourselves, but when the tsunami hits it doesn't care who you call lord, you are dead anyway. The Others are the mother of all natural disasters coming for everyone.

...for that to be thrown away just to decide who will sit on some stupid pointy chair in the end would be a huge waste of one of the best build-ups in fiction...

Bless you!

OP's idea is frankly, well, disgusting. If GRRM just wanted to write about political drama he should have done so without the fantastic elements, without that supernatural tragedy looming over mankind while they squabble over their game of thrones.

All the posters here who like this ridiculous idea the OP proposes should just stop reading ASOIAF and rent some history books from their local library. Yes, our history is quite interesting, with a lot of backstabbing and treachery and tragedy and wars and political marriages and what not. BUT there are no dragons and zombies and mystical ice creatures and warging and direwolves etc.

Bless you!

OP's idea is frankly, well, disgusting. If GRRM just wanted to write about political drama he should have done so without the fantastic elements, without that supernatural tragedy looming over mankind while they squabble over their game of thrones.

All the posters here who like this ridiculous idea the OP proposes should just stop reading ASOIAF and rent some history books from their local library. Yes, our history is quite interesting, with a lot of backstabbing and treachery and tragedy and wars and political marriages and what not. BUT there are no dragons and zombies and mystical ice creatures and warging and direwolves etc.

I dont agree to the OPs idea however I do hope AAR prophesy is a red herring.

That's a plausible theory, yet I would be mildly disappointed if it were true. I think the petty struggles for the Iron Throne prevent the lords of look at the big picture and see the real threat for the survival to the human race. Much like our governments and corporations do regarding the climate change.

The AA prophecy can easily be (and IMO, most likely is) a red herring without mitigating the threat the Others pose. There being a grave threat to humanity doesn't necessitate that a fabricated (or at least misinterpreted), prophetic solution is actually going to be the real solution to that threat, as far as I can tell.

Archived