Could the Others be a Red Herring

Maester2chainz

I don't think the AA prophecy is a red herring, per se. I think the solution to it, the one that has been given in-story, is a red herring.

For some reason it just seems GRRM to me to use the AAR prophecy to play with the hero trope - everyone in-story is putting their hopes on one hero as per the prophecy (as are a lot of people on this board) when the real solution is going to be the confluence of multiple people playing their own part in the struggle for humanity.

It would just seem kinda lame and predictable to me if there was actually one person who was azor ahai reborn and he was the hero of the story.

edit: so I guess I'm not really disagreeing with you per se, I don't think the AAR prophecy is totally bunk, but I do think the way its in-story followers, and many readers interpret it is kind of overly simplistic.

The Song is generic fantasy and you can find the same thing in Wheel of Time.

The same could be said about the Game,that is a generic Dune,with some Godfather (murder) plotwists.It's the mixing of fantasy and politcis elemments that made the novels so good.

If prefer the Song,even seing the tv series first.But really,this story about just one person defeating the others single handed is silly.

I love how we're all so baffled by the various balls that GRRM keeps in the air that WE decide "Well this ball is a red herring, because I can only imagine where this OTHER ball will end up and the first ball messes with that."

It's amazing how neat and tidy the story can become when you decide certain inconvenient plot elements are only there to fool the reader.

Plenty of text in this series is dedicated to how strong and magical The Wall is. It has held back The Others for centuries.

Why then are The Others suddenly a threat to the realm? Have they been holding back some magic of their own that will permit them all to get beyond the wall? Maybe the Others have the horn....

In a way they might be. If the Others parallel natural catastrophes, not just in the 'none of the power players care about their risk' way but also in the time that takes them to have a devastating impact, then despite them being so deadly, they might take up little page time. In fact, if ASOIAF stays at 7 books, the Game will take ultimately up much more focus than The Others since it's been already 5 books and an apocalyptic fight against the ultimate Other enemy is still as remote as Dany's Westeros invasion. So you could e even argue that regardless of the endgame the Others are red herring,page-wise.

Plenty of text in this series is dedicated to how strong and magical The Wall is. It has held back The Others for centuries.

Why then are The Others suddenly a threat to the realm?

The Others are "suddenly" a threat because THIS coming winter will be longer and darker then any other for 8,000 years.

The White Walker plot-line doesn't even fit the definition of red herring. Everyone laughs them off. Grumkins and snarks, remember? The majority of the characters only care about the game of thrones.

Even Melisandre, who was supposed to be training the next AA, put the Iron Throne at the top of her "to do" list.

The Others are "suddenly" a threat because THIS coming winter will be longer and darker then any other for 8,000 years.

How do we know that? I don't recall from the text and may have missed this point. Or is it speculation on the character's part? How does a long winter threaten the stability of the Wall?

When 5 books later it's still all about the GoT, you can start wondering how important the Song really is. Still important probably, but I really like the theory the OP puts out. I wouldn't call the Others a red herring in this theory as they still have an important role, but it does make the story more interesting. Will the Others eventually be defeated? Of course they will. Who will sit the IT? Quite unpredictable. --> You can easily see what part is the most interesting, no?

When 5 books later it's still all about the GoT, you can start wondering how important the Song really is. Still important probably, but I really like the theory the OP puts out. I wouldn't call the Others a red herring in this theory as they still have an important role, but it does make the story more interesting. Will the Others eventually be defeated? Of course they will. Who will sit the IT? Quite unpredictable. --> You can easily see what part is the most interesting, no?

Pretty much this.

I think you're mixing up "interesting" with "complicated."

"Who will sit on the Iron Throne" is a more complicated question. All matters that deal with human will are complicated, and this concerns a lot of wills and a lot of plots and politics. It could go any which way.

But, personally, I think "how will the world be saved from the ice zombie apocalypse," is a pretty damn INTERESTING question. And I care much more about that answer. I don't believe the Others are a minor problem to be swept aside on someone's rise to "real" power, since after all, once you've saved the literal world, where do you go from there? A throne holds few thrills.

The Game will determine who will be left alive to fight the Others. Not the other way around. Once the continent freezes over and the dead rise up and walk, we'll see who still cares about some sharp chair and dominion over other men.

I think you're mixing up "interesting" with "complicated."

"Who will sit on the Iron Throne" is a more complicated question. All matters that deal with human will are complicated, and this concerns a lot of wills and a lot of plots and politics. It could go any which way.

But, personally, I think "how will the world be saved from the ice zombie apocalypse," is a pretty damn INTERESTING question. And I care much more about that answer. I don't believe the Others are a minor problem to be swept aside on someone's rise to "real" power, since after all, once you've saved the literal world, where do you go from there? A throne holds few thrills.

The Game will determine who will be left alive to fight the Others. Not the other way around. Once the continent freezes over and the dead rise up and walk, we'll see who still cares about some sharp chair and dominion over other men.

I beg to differ, stories with a particularly obvious ending are of no interest to me. For example I'd never watch a sports match if I already know the final score. It's why I don't like action movies or high fantasy, they're too predictable.

I beg to differ, stories with a particularly obvious ending are of no interest to me. For example I'd never watch a sports match if I already know the final score. It's why I don't like action movies or high fantasy, they're too predictable.

You're here on a GOT board so you must not dislike high fantasy that much.

This is last place in the world to be a genre snob. It makes you sound condescending, like you're deigning to like this series with it's magic and dragons and zombies as a magnanimous gesture. C'mon man.

You're here on a GOT board so you must not dislike high fantasy that much.

This is last place in the world to be a genre snob. It makes you sound condescending, like you're deigning to like this series with it's magic and dragons and zombies as a magnanimous gesture. C'mon man.

I actually consider the series to be low fantasy. Matter of fact the reason I liked "Game of Thrones" (I watched the TV show firs) in the firs place was because it seemed( and so far the story still seems to be) different than other fantasy, particularly it was less predictable and less magic orientated. Also I'm sorry if I sound snobbish but I am a bit arrogant by nature.

I don't think the Others are a red herring, but I also don't think that makes the game of thrones inconsequential. If we're to expect that humanity must take up a fight against the Others to save the world, then what state humanity is in matters immensely, and what state humanity is in seems to rely on how the battle for the throne plays out and who ultimately holds power. I mean, if one person is meant to single-handedly defeat the others, then the battle for the throne and power isn't that important, but I'm skeptical that that's what is ultimately going to happen. If resources and manpower are necessary to defeat the others then who rules is extremely important.

I only finished the series yesterday and while I've spent some time reading through this forum and other resources, I may not be totally accurate. But... mankind has certainly done a number on other races or beings. Taking the information Leaf gave as fact: "In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us." And the Others are more or less caged by men right now. Which kinda makes mankind sound like genocidal conquerers. I know that for some people, that's great (Bran thinks that mankind would fight, and he seems proud of that), but for others, that's sort of immoral. Who's right or wrong is not immediately clear, which I believe is the purpose. I'm not convinced that humanity is necessarily the obvious winner here, or even that they should clearly be rooted for.

Archived