Should Dany Have Married Quentyn?

Lord Puff Fish

I think if she was thinking about going to Westeros, marrying Quentyn would have been very smart. But at the time she was focused on finding peace for Meereen, so Hizdar was the right choice. But I guess she really should have forgotten about Meereen, married Quentyn, and finally sailed west!

I think if she was thinking about going to Westeros, marrying Quentyn would have been very smart. But at the time she was focused on finding peace for Meereen, so Hizdar was the right choice. But I guess she really should have forgotten about Meereen, married Quentyn, and finally sailed west!

This! :agree:

The thing is marrying Quentyn at that point in time would not have helped her. She was stuck in Meereen surrounded by enemies and the ports were closed so she could not simply sail off. Also, if she did agree to marry Quentyn and sneak off to Dorne, that would have likely meant abandoning her freed men, khalasar and Unsullied. I don't think Dany is prepared to do that.

I'd say yes especially in light of Barristan's passage on Mud vs. fire although I don't blame her for choosing Daario.

I think in light of Aegon already sailing that would've left too Many small factions in Westeros. Waiting a bit is better for alliances to be Sorted Out and Contestants to fall

The 'smart' move would have been to Marry Quentyn and in order to keep peace in Mereen she should have named Hizdahr as King/Ruler and left with the promise "I will return in 4-5 years with fully grown dragons, any slaver found in Mereen will burn and your entire court will be put to the sword"
Would have satisfied all parties and made for a more interesting story.

Marrying Quentyn at the point when he arrived would have been incredibly stupid.

• He offered her absolutely no help in travelling to Westeros with her army and dragons.
  • He offered her absolutely no way out of her war in Slaver's Bay.
  • Marrying him would have ended the possibility of having a Ghiscari king consort, so it would have put Quentyn's life in danger (something Daenerys acknowledges frequently).
  • This isn't confirmed, of course, but it's likely that Dorne will end up allying with Aegon instead of Dany before anyone finds out about Quentyn's rejection and death.

I'd say yes especially in light of Barristan's passage on Mud vs. fire although I don't blame her for choosing Daario.

Except, she chose Hizdar. Barristan paints it as Daario VS Quent when it's Hizdar vs Quent. He arrived in Meereen on the eve of her wedding when she has already picked the Lorax over Daario.

I honestly think she should have. With the backing of Dorne, she would stand a much better chance at winning back the Iron Throne. Instead, she led with her pants instead of her head and refused Quentyn. Was this a bad move?

How was she led by her pants? She was not attracted to Hizdahr, she had yet to have sex with Hizdahr, she found his kisses tepid. All of her reasons for marrying Hizdahr had much to do with her head, not her pants.

That being said, it may unintentionally have been a bad move simply because of what happened after. Obviously, Dany had no way of knowing that Quentyn would go on a date with a barbeque.

I think in light of Aegon already sailing that would've left too Many small factions in Westeros. Waiting a bit is better for alliances to be Sorted Out and Contestants to fall

Yeah, she didn't choose Daario. She chose Hizdahr. We know this because she married Hizdahr and because she told Quentyn she was already engaged to be married to Hizdahr.

Its not a black and white subject. While yes, she should be concentrating on Westeros, by getting Dorne on her side, no she shouldn't have just got up and left. She had to deal with the situation in mereen, to prove to the world, she's more then just a conquerer.

Marrying Hizdahr helped her in the short term - she got peace in Meereen. But it actually ruined her long term goals. Not only does she reject the only possible friends she might have in westeros, she is also now tied permanently to a Ghiscari in marriage and unless she is willing to kill Hizdahr she will never get westeros - No westerosi lord is ever going to want a Ghiscari as King.

I honestly think she should have. With the backing of Dorne, she would stand a much better chance at winning back the Iron Throne. Instead, she led with her pants instead of her head and refused Quentyn. Was this a bad move?

I think less she should have married Quentyn and more she should not have married Hizdar. Quentyn could go either way. He had no marriage contract with her. Her brother had one with his sister. Something he never knew.

Best thing Dany should have done was give a maybe and tell Quentyn to prove himself. Should he try to steal one of her dragons and get himself to die a horrible death by fire, he clearly is not good enough for her.

I think she should have done more than just flat out refuse. It was an overture from Dorne, she could have got one out of seven Kingdom with no problems. Just keep up the diplomatic initiative. Start negotiations. Share her anger at Elia's murder. Didn't have to accept or refuse on the spot.

I think she should have done more than just flat out refuse. It was an overture from Dorne, she could have got one out of seven Kingdom with no problems. Just keep up the diplomatic initiative. Start negotiations. Share her anger at Elia's murder. Didn't have to accept or refuse on the spot.

... Isn't this exactly what happened? She told Quentyn that her marriage did not need to be the end of a relationship with Dorne, and told him that the dragon has three heads.

Remember that the period between Quentyn arriving in Meereen and Dany leaving Meereen is actually very short, during which Dany has a LOT to contend with: her marriage, peace with Yunkai, opening the Fighting Pits, etc. Not only does this reduce the amount of time she can possibly interact with Quentyn, but she also has to deliberately avoid him to keep him safe from his political enemies (i.e. anyone who wants Dany in Meereen and/or married to a Ghiscari).

Well, wasn't her whole goal to reclaim the IT from the usurpers who took it from her family? Didn't she want "to go home"? Wasn't she in Meereen only as a result of her journey to Westeros? Shall I continue?

Goals change. It's fairly obvious from her passages with Xaro that Dany has consciously chosen to suspend her Westeros campaign.

Well, wasn't her whole goal to reclaim the IT from the usurpers who took it from her family? Didn't she want "to go home"? Wasn't she in Meereen only as a result of her journey to Westeros? Shall I continue?

Sure, it was her goal, because Viserys and to a lesser degree Illyrio has been filling her head with shit her whole life. Thankfully there's a chance it's no longer her goal, even if it's a slim one.

In my opinion, she has no business ever going to Westeros, a place she's never been in the first place.

Archived