Dorne - Dayne, Yronwood

Stormlands - Penrose

Iron Islands - Harlaw

My choices ;

1-) Redwyne of Arbor

2-) Manderly of White Harbor

3-) Mallister of Seagard

You are missing Hightower.

They are said to be as rich as the Lannisters(hyperbole probably but still) and can field 3x as many(possibly more) men than any other Reach bannerman.

They are probably the strongest.

And House Yronwood is the strongest Dornish secondary house.

I'd say the Hightowers and maybe the Redwynes are the strongest secondary houses overall. The first family controls Oldtown and the Citadel, the second has its own navy and both are extremely wealthy.

:agree: but i'd throw in Royce into the mix

Hightower is almost certainly first on the list, only the family is incredibly conservative by nature. They exist to defend Oldtown and the Citadel. Power not exercised is not really power at all.

At this point, we almost have to include House Frey. They control the Twins, already one of the wealthier and powerful seats in Westeros, and Riverrun, the traditional seat for the Lord Paramounts. They also have a bevy of strong allies on paper: The Crown, the Lannisters, the Boltons. Yet, they are not Lord Paramounts, Petyr Baelish is.

for Stormlands: not Penrose!

Would be a chilled out Marcher house, almost certainly Caron (the Lords of the Marches, who Stannis was despairing at not attracting to his side) but also possibly Swann (who backed all sides with impunity)

well Storm Lords did married estermonts, that should be a sign of power, but then you see their Iland and is far smaller than tarth.

The Hightowers are uber powerful. By themselves they probably rival some of the Great Houses

By region

North- Manderly, Bolton, Karstark

Riverlands- Frey, Mallister

Vale- Royce, Grafton(?)

Westerlands- Marbrand, Crakehall, Lannisters of LP (?)

Reach- Hightower, Redwyne

Dorne- Yronwood

Stormlands- Caron, Dondarrion, Swann

Iron Islands- Harlaw

I think part of why you see so many powerful families in the Reach — not just the Hightowers and Redwynes but also the Florents, Tarlys, Rowan, Fossoways, Oakhearts, etc. is because the Tyrells never had to subjugate the Reach using pure force of arms. At one time, the Lannisters, Starks, Arryns and Martells had to overpower their regional rivals militarily, and maintain that military superiority, in order to stay top dog. But the Tyrells were plopped on top of the pile and perhaps artificially held there by the Targaryens when they invaded, for really no other reason than because they left the door unlocked for Aegon.

Same sort of thing in the Riverlands; the Tullys were elevated above the other houses when the ironborn were flushed out, but they never had to defeat the Brackens, Blackwoods, Freys, etc. in battle.

I think part of why you see so many powerful families in the Reach — not just the Hightowers and Redwynes but also the Florents, Tarlys, Rowan, Fossoways, Oakhearts, etc. is because the Tyrells never had to subjugate the Reach using pure force of arms. At one time, the Lannisters, Starks, Arryns and Martells had to overpower their regional rivals militarily, and maintain that military superiority, in order to stay top dog. But the Tyrells were plopped on top of the pile and perhaps artificially held there by the Targaryens when they invaded, for really no other reason than because they left the door unlocked for Aegon.

Same sort of thing in the Riverlands; the Tullys were elevated above the other houses when the ironborn were flushed out, but they never had to defeat the Brackens, Blackwoods, Freys, etc. in battle.

Good lands/weather and being rarely an important warring zone helped a lot too.

Archived